joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what Robert had to say about Upstate SC rain chances....

Sorry for the dumb question, but exactly which part of SC is the upstate?  Is it a specific geographical area or is it more subjective in nature?  If you could post a map with a circle on it or something, that would help me, if it's not too much trouble.

Sorry for the dumb question, but exactly which part of SC is the upstate?  Is it a specific geographical area or is it more subjective in nature?  If you could post a map with a circle on it or something, that would help me, if it's not too much trouble.

Some maps vary with what counties are included, but here is one that seems reasonable.

government-local-region1.png

Sorry for the dumb question, but exactly which part of SC is the upstate? Is it a specific geographical area or is it more subjective in nature? If you could post a map with a circle on it or something, that would help me, if it's not too much trouble.

It is generally north and west of I 85, really!

Oconee , greenville , Spartanburg , Pickens , Anderson , maybe Laurens counties, I would call upstate SC

Edit: I was off, but just going off my head! Those stupid counties , just S of CLT, I say no bueno

Oconee , greenville , Spartanburg , Pickens , Anderson , maybe Laurens counties, I would call upstate SC

Edit: I was off, but just going off my head! Those stupid counties , just S of CLT, I say no bueno

I would call N & W of 85 the foothills of SC and below that the piedmont.

Hopefully it will be as right as his winter forecasts!

:(

Yeah last year wasn't great, but he kind of has his own niche and specialty patterns/systems he is great at forecasting.

Some maps vary with what counties are included, but here is one that seems reasonable.

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it.  That helps frame it for me going forward!

Looking at the GFS we may have a shot next week for some rain. 

Meh, still looks about how it has looked for the last few months.  Maybe a tenth or 2 being shown in the lee, but the GFS can't pinpoint isolated to scattered tstorms accurately.  Well, neither can the hires models either really.

Thats the GSP coverage area. Not all of that is considered the "upstate"

Yeah, like I said it varies between sources.  Here is another map.  Not sure if I would consider York part of the midlands or McCormick part of the upstate, but it's semantics really.  Generally speaking I would say the counties on either side of 85 are considered upstate.  I hear it further divided into Northern Upstate and Southern Upstate sometimes.

south-carolina-county-map-pee-dee-lowcou

Yeah, like I said it varies between sources.  Here is another map.  Not sure if I would consider York part of the midlands or McCormick part of the upstate, but it's semantics really.  Generally speaking I would say the counties on either side of 85 are considered upstate.  I hear it further divided into Northern Upstate and Southern Upstate sometimes.

south-carolina-county-map-pee-dee-lowcou

McCormick county is generally part of the Midlands, but that map is more accurate. 

Edit. I saw your comment about McCormick.  I think they should create a new zone with York, Chester, Lancaster, and Chesterfield counties. Maybe the Olde English district.

Orangeburg and Calhoun are definite Midlands counties.

Showers and some storms are popping up this afternoon where we thought we would see them. The region from the Triangle area and north into Virginia has a slim risk for some strong to severe storms into the early evening hours. the front that is producing these storms dips into the state tomorrow, so in theory storms should still be possible Saturday. 

WxSouth had a post on Facebook today, basically saying, the pattern is repeating and what we've had the last month or two, will continue as well as 95+ degree temps and no rain in sight! He will nail this, I'm sure, his snow predictions are a little off from time to time ! I wish he'd wish a historic rainfall on us! :)

WxSouth had a post on Facebook today, basically saying, the pattern is repeating and what we've had the last month or two, will continue as well as 95+ degree temps and no rain in sight! He will nail this, I'm sure, his snow predictions are a little off from time to time ! I wish he'd wish a historic rainfall on us! :)

:facepalm:

Archived