Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 31 - June 2: The Death of New England's So-Called Drought

moneypitmike

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised how quickly that fell apart and shunted south. I thought you guys were definitely getting another good round based on the radar earlier.

4 km NAM handled that well

Yeah the NAM did well. I was basing my thoughts on radar. Looks like the dry air eroded the northern edge of the precipitation and kept it south of us. 2.81" storm total. Much needed though. Looking forward to some sun and warmer temperatures now. Grass should respond nicely now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is funny how stuff can quickly change. Record warm May followed by the two coldest days in June they've ever seen.

By the end of the first week in June, Boston will have been so much below normal that it will take daily temperatures of almost 3° above normal for the rest of the month just to end up normal for the month.

By the end of the first week in June, Boston will have been so much below normal that it will take daily temperatures of almost 3° above normal for the rest of the month just to end up normal for the month.

One heat wave wipes that out if its only one week of -10 to -15F departures. Not that that's happening any time soon though.

Boston was just consistently warm in May. Didn't even hit 90. Similar to February....no insane departures, just consistent warmth with the help of no rain. February was consistently cold.

Feb 18 days with double digit negative departures, 4 of these above -20. May 8 days of double digit positives none above positive 20. Feb blew away the records.

Feb 18 days with double digit negative departures, 4 of these above -20. May 8 days of double digit positives none above positive 20. Feb blew away the records.

You can't really compare it like that because the standard deviation is much lower in May than February. May was +4.4 at BOS and it was a record. That would only rank as 8th warmest if it was February.

I'm not looking at it literally like that. I'm only saying it from a persistence point. February had no brutal days like highs of 6F, nor did May have a high of 96F for example. Both months were persistently cold and warm respectively.

I'm not looking at it literally like that. I'm only saying it from a persistence point. February had no brutal days like highs of 6F, nor did May have a high of 96F for example. Both months were persistently cold and warm respectively.

True, my point was the extremes were greater relative to the season in Feb

You can't really compare it like that because the standard deviation is much lower in May than February. May was +4.4 at BOS and it was a record. That would only rank as 8th warmest if it was February.

Yes you can say in relation to the season Feb was indeed more anomalous than May 

Yes you can say in relation to the season Feb was indeed more anomalous than May

I agree. But the way you did it wouldn't prove that.

We have to normalize the events. February was about a 3 sigma (a bit more actually) event. May was roughly 2 sigma. I'm actually surprised that would be a record. It was a vulnerable month. A least in Boston.

Archived