joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's stop arguing about 1+2 already. 3.4 is what counts and on the weeklies this is the strongest Nino in history. It's something we will most likely never see again in our lifetimes. Enjoy witnessing history right now, let the chips fall where they may. If it turns out not to be a cold and snowy winter who cares? We just had 3 in a row

Let's stop arguing about 1+2 already. 3.4 is what counts and on the weeklies this is the strongest Nino in history. It's something we will most likely never see again in our lifetimes. Enjoy witnessing history right now, let the chips fall where they may. If it turns out not to be a cold and snowy winter who cares? We just had 3 in a row

Never say never in the world of weather. But I agree that the chances of another Niño of such strength occuring again within the coming decades are extremely low.

The one who has been constantly bringing up Nino 1+2 since this event began, was you:

That's impressive, region 3.4 up to +1.1C this early in the season and region 1+2 is ridiculously warm already

I'll see it again every day and as many times a day as I want. There are plenty of sites that maintain old ssta maps.

I wouldn't say we won't see another one of these in our lifetimes. I realize I'm younger than most here, but the 2 other major Ninos happened 15 years from eachother (82-83 to 97-98), and now this one is happening 18 years from the last (97-98 to 15-16). There's certainly at least a chance we'll all see another Nino break into the top 5... an even slighter chance that we'll beat #1, especially for people my age. 

BTW I don't know if this can officially be declared as the strongest on record. I think that's measured by ONI... in which case, we're going to stay below 97-98 (as we should), but still maintain a spot in the top 5. But if we're going by Region 3.4 alone, then yeah. But I think that's misleading because 97-98 was in a league of its own with regard to SSTA. ONI reflects that.

calm down there tiger you like to bring up region 3/4 other people like to bring up region 1/2 it is what it is

I wouldn't say we won't see another one of these in our lifetimes. I realize I'm younger than most here, but the 2 other major Ninos happened 15 years from eachother (82-83 to 97-98), and now this one is happening 18 years from the last (97-98 to 15-16). There's certainly at least a chance we'll all see another Nino break into the top 5... an even slighter chance that we'll beat #1, especially for people my age. 

BTW I don't know if this can officially be declared as the strongest on record. I think that's measured by ONI... in which case, we're going to stay below 97-98 (as we should), but still maintain a spot in the top 5. But if we're going by Region 3.4 alone, then yeah. But I think that's misleading because 97-98 was in a league of its own with regard to SSTA. ONI reflects that.

Agree. Even considering all the hype over this El Nino, it's likely to fall short of 1997-98 on the official ONI data. I've / we've discussed this quite a bit already, but there are numerous indicators which support the notion that 1997-98 was a more potent event. The westerly wind bursts are not nearly as strong or extensive / persistent in the eastern tropical Pacific. We have broken weekly records in region 4 and 3.4, but 1997-98 maintained anomalous warmth exceptionally long, with +2.5c region 3.4 temperatures lasting until the second week of February.

Agree. Even considering all the hype over this El Nino, it's likely to fall short of 1997-98 on the official ONI data. I've / we've discussed this quite a bit already, but there are numerous indicators which support the notion that 1997-98 was a more potent event. The westerly wind bursts are not nearly as strong or extensive / persistent in the eastern tropical Pacific. We have broken weekly records in region 4 and 3.4, but 1997-98 maintained anomalous warmth exceptionally long, with +2.5c region 3.4 temperatures lasting until the second week of February.

This, coupled with the eastern forcing, is why that seasons did not feature a second half come back.

That is true, but we had a bunch more heat over in the WPac than in 1997. If our El Niño has westerly winds as strong as in 1997, we would have an unbelievably warm ENSO...

That's definitely not what I said but ok. I said I would not predict a cold and snowy winter myself based on how strong this Nino is nothing more nothing less

I worry more that Niño cuts out very fast, as it did in late 1972, and we get robbed of the back-loaded storms, just as we did that winter.

There's been some big changes in the subsurface. I recommend you right click the images and open them in a new tab so you can click between the tabs to compare to see the changes.

8CgLi4b.png

v3dXiSZ.png

These are the changes I see. I don't know the technical terms, but there's a temp gradient that's flattening out to a horizontal gradient. The cold subsurface waters seem to be attempting to "hide under" the warm waters that are closer to the surface. It also seems to be putting pressure on the warm subsurface blob in the east. Most of it refuses to peak at the surface, but some has... most notably at 120W. But the 5C+ gradient isn't willing to cross the 50 meter mark.

rfkFj4h.png

kiKIQR6.gif

I dunno what this all means... I'm sure someone does and can expand on it.

There's been some big changes in the subsurface. I recommend you right click the images and open them in a new tab so you can click between the tabs to compare to see the changes.

8CgLi4b.png

v3dXiSZ.png

These are the changes I see. I don't know the technical terms, but there's a temp gradient that's flattening out to a horizontal gradient. The cold subsurface waters seem to be attempting to "hide under" the warm waters that are closer to the surface. It also seems to be putting pressure on the warm subsurface blob in the east. Most of it refuses to peak at the surface, but some has... most notably at 120W. But the 5C+ gradient isn't willing to cross the 50 meter mark.

rfkFj4h.png

kiKIQR6.gif

I dunno what this all means... I'm sure someone does and can expand on it.

And this is interesting because the +6 degree mark has hit the South American coast. I posted a link to a website that depicts downwelling along the coast... Could the downwelling cause that +6 degree mark to bubble up to the surface (or weaken but remain between +4 and +5)? If so, things can get interesting.

Too little too late.

We shall see how long the downwelling lasts! It could potentially stir things in the Niño 1+2 territory (I know many of the East Coasters do not want to see this).

And this is interesting because the +6 degree mark has hit the South American coast. I posted a link to a website that depicts downwelling along the coast... Could the downwelling cause that +6 degree mark to bubble up to the surface (or weaken but remain between +4 and +5)? If so, things can get interesting.

We shall see how long the downwelling lasts! It could potentially stir things in the Niño 1+2 territory (I know many of the East Coasters do not want to see this).

That will be problem for NYC south and the coastal plain not so much for elevated inland areas which I felt all along is where you want to be this winter if you like snow!

Archived