CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this pans out a 1-2 spike is certain.

Probably jump well above the previous peak.

2y5VBj0.jpg

It's noticeably disjointed, if not weaker, than previous events so I doubt it has much of an effect. Then the fat lady starts her first verse me thinks. Of course, there's also the chance it weakens or moves further west as the forecast period approaches as before this season.

It's noticeably disjointed, if not weaker, than previous events so I doubt it has much of an effect. Then the fat lady starts her first verse me thinks. Of course, there's also the chance it weakens or moves further west as the forecast period approaches as before this season.

It isn't disjointed, displaced, confused, farted or whatever you want to call it other than the strongest event we have ever seen as far as El Niño goes, region 3.4 is at +3.0C, a new record. It isn't becoming west based, east based, modoki, it has become the strongest basin wide Nino in history however

It isn't disjointed, displaced, confused, farted or whatever you want to call it other than the strongest event we have ever seen as far as El Niño goes, region 3.4 is at +3.0C, a new record. It isn't becoming west based, east based, modoki, it has become the strongest basin wide Nino in history however

Hes specifically discussing 1.2 modeled warming. No one was knocking your historic nino, relax.

I was referencing the 850 burst GW had discussed. Anyway, it's just warm water that's a few degrees warmer than normal that will likely be below normal this time next year, so let's not get too carried away.

Exactly.

Trade weakening events are much weaker overall than dateline to 150W.

This might get us to 3.0C+ from enso 1&2, enso 3, enso 3-4.

Exactly.

not for nothing, but I think you are grasping for straws here.  You have been calling for an unprecedented spike in enso 1.2 for weeks and weeks... and it still hasn't happened.  

Joe D'Aleo thinks the Nino is going to peak at the end of this month. Regions 1 and 2 are still cooling off. I think we are close to the peak.

Do you really and truly think it will make a huge difference if this Nino peaks at the end of this month or early/mid December? What exactly is your point?

Do you really and truly think it will make a huge difference if this Nino peaks at the end of this month or early/mid December? What exactly is your point?

actually, i do.  since the cooling of all enso regions should be relatively (very) fast, when they peak could have huge implications for the second half of winter.  It's not just me saying it...almost every seasonal forecast I've read is calling for a huge shift in the overall pattern come January (or Feb).

actually, i do. since the cooling of all enso regions should be relatively (very) fast, when they peak could have huge implications for the second half of winter. It's not just me saying it...almost every seasonal forecast I've read is calling for a huge shift in the overall pattern come January (or Feb).

Ok

Exactly.

04NOV2015 2.1  2.8 2.8 1.7

11NOV2015 2.0  3.0 3.0 1.7

This continues to be about every region BUT 1.2 .( And it has been this way since early Sept )   Why do you insist on including it in your analysis  ? 

Plus 3C in R 3 and 3.4 have been opined here by many over the  last month but what`s the fixation with a region that has done nothing but cool over the last 6 weeks ? 

Or did you really believe through your analysis that a 1 C jump was coming ? 

As of right now.

There is nothing suggesting the East side of this nino will abruptly collapse.

FWd4BiX.jpg

The warm pool has moved East the last two weeks.

Not West.

And we have at least two more weeks of classic East based nino trades.

h5KQDvJ.jpg

Anyways there is a 32C = 90FF reading above.

90F ocean water Wow

I don't think we still need to comment on this.

Exactly.

I don't think it's very likely that Region 1+2 will get to +3.0°C anomalies. A slow fade has been underway. There may be some weekly fluctuations where Region 1+2 warms, but I believe we've seen the peak in the weekly figures.

Spring is a sort of wildcard, as some El Niño events have seen robust warming in that region just before the El Niño event collapsed, but that's still fairly far in  the future and not wholly certain. I suspect that if the mean anomalies for all the strong El Niño events are considered, Region 1+2 will see weekly anomalies fall below +2.0°C either later this month or in December. This allows for weekly fluctuations where there could be some temporary increases.

I don't think it's very likely that Region 1+2 will get to +3.0°C anomalies. A slow fade has been underway. There may be some weekly fluctuations where Region 1+2 warms, but I believe we've seen the peak in the weekly figures.

Spring is a sort of wildcard, as some El Niño events have seen robust warming in that region just before the El Niño event collapsed, but that's still fairly far in the future and not wholly certain. I suspect that if the mean anomalies for all the strong El Niño events are considered, Region 1+2 will see weekly anomalies fall below +2.0°C either later this month or in December. This allows for weekly fluctuations where there could be some temporary increases.

We'll see. We have a very favorable windfield.

With OHC still at peak levels.

The warm pool is still moving East at peak strength.

gg7qZec.jpg

aJQvfYm.jpg

wouS3nn.jpg

Going back a month we can see this is the strongest trade reversal near the SA coast so far.

g9Pi5XW.jpg

Even going back 90 days it's still the strongest.

We will see

PkI2ViE.jpg

Very interesting subsurface calculations for the strongest El Niño's on record, ordered from lowest to highest year (top to bottom):

joop2d3.jpg

5uyT6Oql.jpg

sAEU1nol.jpg

Clearly, our El Niño's subsurface is weakest. However, recent evidence suggests our warm pool has strengthened significantly. I will post a November subsurface comparison early December.

Another interesting thing to note is the warm pool in our year is higher up - more shallow than the others. Can this mean our El Niño will peak later than we expect (considering the El Niño we have is a late bloomer)?

Archived