Toothache
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm...

tlon_heat.gif

If you look at the third downwelling (the very large one exceeding 2.5), you can early see the heat content weakening as it hits the S.A. coast.

However, this may be due to the fact that there was a lot of upwelling there, which faded quickly upon the arrival of the third downwelling.

The question is, will the fourth downwelling which is currently pushing east weaken or persist its anomalies as it hits S.A.? This will determine if the Niño 1+2 will skyrocket or continue to plummet.

lBxiLXh.jpg

. pretty consistent

lBxiLXh.jpg

Very descriptive read. Detailed everything down to a tee. Glad to have read it

Props for reading the whole damn thing because I didn't event want to when I had to proof read :lol:

I feel as though anything composed for public consumption should assume that the reader knows nothing...the piece should "build from the ground up", so to speak...

Props for reading the whole damn thing because I didn't event want to when I had to proof read :lol:

I feel as though anything composed for public consumption should assume that the reader knows nothing...the piece should "build from the ground up", so to speak...

Lol it took me about 10 minutes. But it was worth it honestly

The +PDO is so strong on the JAMSTEC, that it keeps it positive into the summer

as La Nina conditions try to develop. Also note all the warm waters over the Tropical

Atlantic with possible implications for the hurricane season if they verify that warm.

attachicon.gifssta.glob.JJA2016.1nov2015.gif

Next cane season should be good.

Really impressive...

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/664454487994560512

October tropical (30S-30N, 0-360) SSTs about 0.25C warmer than any other year on record (since 1950).

It's record breaking when one considers the strongly positive PDO, coupled w/ the most intense El Nino since 1950 for a basin-wide event. The other events of this magnitude were more region 3/1-2 based like 1982 and 1997.

My original call for the ERSST peak back in April/May was approximately +1.9c for the ONI; however, I now think it will probably be +2.0c or +2.1c. I expect November's monthly ERSST value will probably come in around +2.3c, and if December maintains a similar intensity, or falls slightly to +2.2c, the peak trimonthly ONI would be around +2.1c.

So as we reflect upon earlier debates in this thread from spring 2015, it will probably turn out to be a bit of a compromise in terms of the early forecasts. Those that favored an east based event were incorrect, but those who favored a non-super ONI peak will have underestimated. The resultant will likely be a "super" (2.0c+) basin-wide event.

It's record breaking when one considers the strongly positive PDO, coupled w/ the most intense El Nino since 1950 for a basin-wide event. The other events of this magnitude were more region 3/1-2 based like 1982 and 1997.

My original call for the ERSST peak back in April/May was approximately +1.9c for the ONI; however, I now think it will probably be +2.0c or +2.1c. I expect November's monthly ERSST value will probably come in around +2.3c, and if December maintains a similar intensity, or falls slightly to +2.2c, the peak trimonthly ONI would be around +2.1c.

So as we reflect upon earlier debates in this thread from spring 2015, it will probably turn out to be a bit of a compromise in terms of the early forecasts. Those that favored an east based event were incorrect, but those who favored a non-super ONI peak will have underestimated. The resultant will likely be a "super" (2.0c+) basin-wide event.

Yeah, the record October NP SST's covered the PDO region down to Nino 4. It's also very impressive to

see record SST's over portions of the IO and Atlantic at the same time. 

:o

This is based on OISST, and has been running very close to weekly updates...maybe just a tad under...based on this week so far, Monday should be a 2.9 or 3.0..but will have to see what happens today through Sunday,..,.

whoa.PNG

Agreed, looks like we are going to witness an all time first in meteorological history if region 3.4 really does top +3.0C. We potentially may never see this again in our lifetimes...

Very good read. Good luck with your forecast. The only issue I have is that I would of increased snowfall totals in New York and Philly by 50%. While I do think we start of slow coming out of the gate, I believe we go gangbusters after the New Year as a result of a strengthening -AO/-NAO couplet along with a strong sub tropical jet already in place. 

Where is the support for it? Why should it go gangbusters? That isn't a good read, but a intellectual hope.

40/70 benchmark knows his stuff and he gave solid reasoning. NutleyBlizzard doesn't have a reason behind it other than he wants an epically snowy and cold winter so he just makes posts like that without any meteorological backing

Yea, my original summer call was 1.8 in December....looks like 2.0 or a bit btr.

If you guys would actually look at what he wrote, instead of just bashing him , he posted " result of a strengthening -AO/-NAO couplet along with a strong sub tropical jet already in place". That is where his support comes from for a cold and snowy 2nd half of winter. Sure, he might have a biasness towards cold and snowy, but he backed it up. If he had just said "historic 2nd half of winter" without any support, then go ahead bash him. 

Archived