• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

40/70 benchmark knows his stuff and he gave solid reasoning. NutleyBlizzard doesn't have a reason behind it other than he wants an epically snowy and cold winter so he just makes posts like that without any meteorological backing

The reasoning for my forecast is the summer to winter correlation with the -AO. I feel July's very low negative values bodes well for us this winter not to mention the near record snowfall buildup in Siberia which in due time should help drive down the AO. While I'm not a certified meteorologist (far from it), I've been a weather hobbyist going on 40 years now and have picked up on weather tendencies along the way. Everything we all can agree on is weather is not an exact science. Nobody really knows what's going to happen. All we can do is try and make the best educated guess and hope for the best.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Snowman, we have butted heads, but its just because we are both passionate about our hobby.

My outlook is not really cold anywhere, and is only snowy in the mid atl and the distant interior....up my way it is normal.

Wow if I was not the king of ADHD and could put thoughts to paper I would have a very similar outlook.

One thing I would do is increase interior totals and decrease mid Atlantic. One thing that will be crucial this winter is elevation with borderline air masses and the glut of miller A's

Looks like the atmosphere is having issues with convection retreating back to the dateline or West of it.

dejhjDc.jpg

mAUd4YU.jpg

28C is the magic number. GFS struggling right now with so much heat spread across the equatorial basin.

kglAnYd.jpg

KO9m6so.jpg

The trade forecasts have been total ****.

But they are still well aligned with a traditional super nino.

Latest weekly OLR data remains very good for a NINO of this magnitude.

post-821-0-78798100-1447379928_thumb.gif

Wow if I was not the king of ADHD and could put thoughts to paper I would have a very similar outlook.

One thing I would do is increase interior totals and decrease mid Atlantic. One thing that will be crucial this winter is elevation with borderline air masses and the glut of miller A's

Yes, that is a valid concern.

Latest weekly OLR data remains very good for a NINO of this magnitude.

I guess. Its a lot further East then last November which was historically cold.

Uc85XPy.jpg

Last November was petty epic.

Had snow cover for 5-6 days.

Like a once every 25 to 50 year thing.

This November sucks.

So does that huge SE ridge.

It's screaming lakes cutters and warm cutoffs.

FLyqhsY.jpg

I guess. Its a lot further East then last November which was historically cold.

Uc85XPy.jpg

Last November was petty epic.

Had snow cover for 5-6 days.

Like a once every 25 to 50 year thing.

This November sucks.

So does that huge SE ridge.

It's screaming lakes cutters and warm cutoffs.

FLyqhsY.jpg

I said "for a NINO of this magnitude." Last year missed weak criteria, so it doesn't matter.

Those forecasts have stunk. It will shift west as the end of the forecast period approaches.

Roundy plots have shown much higher skill in ascertaining the week 1-3 forcing pattern. The GFS chi 200hpa forecasts from late October depicted strong subsidence in the central tropical pacific for Nov 1-10th, which was clearly the opposite of reality.

Those forecasts have stunk. It will shift west as the end of the forecast period approaches.

Yeah I pointed this out several weeks ago out in the main forum when some were obsessing over the idea of 1+2 and eastern regions taking the ball and running with it. The trade anomalies keep verifying west of the forecasts...they often do. I saw it happen over and over again last year too.

Yeah I pointed this out several weeks ago out in the main forum when some were obsessing over the idea of 1+2 and eastern regions taking the ball and running with it. The trade anomalies keep verifying west of the forecasts...they often do. I saw it happen over and over again last year too.

I think that is going to happen more and more moving forward...long term, I mean.

Will , we argued about this from back in early September here.

The spread west started in June and never relented .

I still think 3 3.4 and 4 increase through early December there is still more subsurface heat that needs to work it's way to the surface .

But many here were big proponents of the basin wide inferno .

I still think there is a bit more to go before we plateau .

Will , we argued about this from back in early September here.

The spread west started in June and never relented .

I still think 3 3.4 and 4 increase through early December there is still more subsurface heat that needs to work it's way to the surface .

But many here were big proponents of the basin wide inferno .

I still think there is a bit more to go before we plateau .

I just hope 1.2 is done...still a bit leery of that last wave near the end of the month.

I'm not sweating it, I would just like to see it collapse.

The problem is the guidance wanted to collapse 1.2 since July and it hasn't.

It's strong but our saving grace has been the explosion west of 100

out to the DL.

So I'm saying I haven't been sweating it because although the guidance has been somewhat poor there , the greatest upward motion continues to stay at the DL and If that verifies then the euro will be right.

At this point I think it continues to weaken as it has been doing over the past 5 weeks but my attention is now elsewhere.

The problem is the guidance wanted to collapse 1.2 since July and it hasn't.

It's strong but our saving grace has been the explosion west of 100

out to the DL.

So I'm saying I haven't been sweating it because although the guidance has been somewhat poor there , the greatest upward motion continues to stay at the DL and If that verifies then the euro will be right.

At this point I think it continues to weaken as it has been doing over the past 5 weeks but my attention is now elsewhere.

I think we are golden if the forcing is still glued to the dateline come December.

I feel as though there will be one window of opportunity in December....how far south and east can avail of it remains to be seen.

The seasonal response to D/L forcing can actually be warm in the early winter and

turn colder from January 15th- March 31st. So a warmer December ,if that should

happen, isn't a bad sign if the forcing is out near the D/L. It's still a good marker

for a change to colder after January 15th if it stays put out there.

attachicon.gifDEC.gif

attachicon.gifD500.gif

attachicon.gifFEBFC.gif

attachicon.gifFEB.gif

I have been trying to convey the message to some ENSO PTSD victims that slow starts are not a death knell.

Yeah, any decent winter weather before January 15th in an El Nino is a bonus. 

Even the record cold  and snowy Modoki last winter started mild in December.

But it will be interesting to see if the EPS come the end of November follow

through on the milder Euro seasonal for December.

Even 2002 started a bit rough for the coast.

Looks like convection is having issues staying West.

RfD0Dwm.jpg

Also anomalies mean nothing in practical application.

From everything I've read and matching olr anomalies convection over the tropical Pacific fires along the 28C mark.

Which is displaced very far East.

Why I'd it anticipated that this process won't follow historical normals

The MJO pulse bumped the strongest forcing off the DL. If the long range CFS is to be believed, then it returns in December.

attachicon.gifchi200.cfs.all.global.10.png

We are going to force between 160 and 180 this winter I am not even going to bother addressing this next wild goose chase .

We forced at 140 in 97, that's not in the guidabce , anywhere , and it doesn't fit the record heat in 3.4 and 4 so it's NOT happening.

I promise this is an easy forecast. What that means in terms of sensible winter weather , well that's never easy . But the above is what it Is.

Archived