joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was on the plus side again today...around this time of the year 1997 had a week of plus soi and it fell to near record levels again...this year is anyone's guess at this point.....

The last 30 days are minus 7 ( which is Neutral ) . It is still minus 7 because of the deep NEGs in the last week of OCT .

The month of NOVEMBER are adding to the values and are not Plummeting . 

The SOI did plummet in Aug Sept and Oct , but not NOV . 

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

I don't see a WWB... nonetheless a strong one. I see a weakening of trade winds... not even close to a "strong WWB"

ICSTlST.png

The slowing of the trades is starting to take a more "fragmented" look. And the forecasted slowing of the trades is far less impressive than what we saw earlier in October and in September. That with the SOI surging to positive values makes me think that peak is extremely close, or has already been attained.

The slowing of the trades is starting to take a more "fragmented" look. And the forecasted slowing of the trades is far less impressive than what we saw earlier in October and in September. That with the SOI surging to positive values makes me think that peak is extremely close, or has already been attained.

Yeah once this Kelvin wave is done, so is the Nino. I doubt the upcoming "westerlies" is going to make a difference.

post-13588-0-25363400-1448134292_thumb.p

Maintaining this magnitude of equatorial heat is somewhat akin to maintaining a category 4-5 hurricane for a protracted period -- namely, it's very difficult to sustain such anomalous SST's, and even "weaker" westerly wind bursts will result in either a plateauing or slight decrease in heat content. My guess is that this week is the climax of the ENSO event; however, we will plateau and generally maintain very warm anomalies through December.

Maintaining this magnitude of equatorial heat is somewhat akin to maintaining a category 4-5 hurricane for a protracted period -- namely, it's very difficult to sustain such anomalous SST's, and even "weaker" westerly wind bursts will result in either a plateauing or slight decrease in heat content. My guess is that this week is the climax of the ENSO event; however, we will plateau and generally maintain very warm anomalies through December.

On today's TAO, there is now evidence of the subsurface cold pool just starting to nudge east, this is usually the first indication that a Nino is getting ready to peak. Probably within 2 weeks or so, the peak will come. Got to agree with PBGFI, another 2 weeks (early December) and it's done strengthening.

Models showing another strong WWB and plummeting SOI. This will assure that the Nino does not peak until sometime in December, most likely mid December or shortly thereafter

On today's TAO, there is now evidence of the subsurface cold pool just starting to nudge east, this is usually the first indication that a Nino is getting ready to peak. Probably within 2 weeks or so, the peak will come. Got to agree with PBGFI, another 2 weeks (early December) and it's done strengthening.

Make up your mind

Regardless if the peak is 1 week or 2 weeks away etc , Region 3 and 3.4 stay above plus 2C going into the 1st week of Jan . So it maintains its strong status through Dec .

This will not just magically disintegrate, this event was massive . What ( some ) of us want to see is the collapse in 1.2 faster than the central basin so the warmth relative to averages remain out west.

You can see the models bleed the heat off in all regions quickly but that is something I want to see 1st before I believe it.

Blame that MJO pulse for the positive SOI. The high pressure cell is shifted further east away from Darwin due to the MJO forcing it eastward. Once the MJO collapses, expect the SOI to return to its formal El Niño base state.

Blame that MJO pulse for the positive SOI. The high pressure cell is shifted further east away from Darwin due to the MJO forcing it eastward. Once the MJO collapses, expect the SOI to return to its formal El Niño base state.

No doubt about that.

But such an MJO pulse isn't very usual for such a strong El Niño.

30 day base state is actually into neutral ENSO territory now (+/-8).

No doubt about that.

But such an MJO pulse isn't very usual for such a strong El Niño.

30 day base state is actually into neutral ENSO territory now (+/-8).

I suspect that the warmer than normal Indian Ocean was responsible for spawning that MJO. If only it could cool down...

Which is exactly why the SOI is forecasted to drop negative again, the MJO wave is dying as we speak

More evidence on the TAO today of the subsurface cold pool pushing east. My guess, another 2 weeks of warming and a final peak come early December. A weekly max peak of +3.1C or +3.2C for region 3.4 seems very likely right now

And the Euro had it getting to +3.2 as far back as its forecasts from the summer so no one should be surprised.

Now I just hope its winter forecast is just as good. Lol

Archived