joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see. We have a very favorable windfield.

With OHC still at peak levels.

The warm pool is still moving East at peak strength.

Going back a month we can see this is the strongest trade reversal near the SA coast so far.

Even going back 90 days it's still the strongest.

We will see

It will be interesting to see what happens. The SOI has rebounded and is at its most positive figure since June 9. One starts seeing the trade winds breaking through as El Niño events peak. Strong WWBs remain likely, but whether those outcomes will boost the slowly declining Region 1+2 anomalies remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The SOI has rebounded and is at its most positive figure since June 9. One starts seeing the trade winds breaking through as El Niño events peak. Strong WWBs remain likely, but whether those outcomes will boost the slowly declining Region 1+2 anomalies remains to be seen.

I agree. Although it doesn't really matter.

The enso 1-2 hype and fear is almost exclusively a snow weenie talking point when trying to downplay thia nino over the epac.

Nothing IMO is more frustrating than dealing with people being disingenuous. Especially in a scientific based discussion.

I deeply appreciate the level of personal integrity you always bring to these discussions.

You don't make it personal. You don't throw busted predictions and projections in someones face to discredit them while ignoring your own. It's much appreciated and well respected.

So onto the discussion. Below visualizes the enso regions.

Enso 1-2 is from 90-80W and on top of that its also South of the equator between 0-10S.

Great for taking the progression of enso events. Good for taking fishing interests and coral reef concerns.

But essentially worthless when it comes to tracking tropical convection.

Hundreds of posts by snow weenies going on and on about this tiny region because it's cooler than 1997. Good for 2nd and 3rd place in over 140 years of data.

More importantly it's currently not even warm enough to initiate convection.

w0irZ6i.jpg

By far the strongest and furtherest East WWB of the entire event is underway.

2FNYku5.jpg

Its short lived. But still a reversal of the trades between 120W and the SA coast. Mostly along and North of the equator will definitely cause strong warming.

The general slacking of the trades.

yeXMXCn.jpg

The sub surface warm pool is still moving East. At this time there is sufficient warmth for abruptly strong warming between 110-80W.

We will see.

7BFh1hR.jpg

e16ewgQ.jpg

What implications come from so much tropical convection that far East and North of the equator?

EViky2m.jpg

I assume there will be seasonal cooling over the Region below.

Never the less there is a 12-15 degree of latitude band of 28-30C ssts running from Mexico WSW back to the equator.

Most of this area should be 26C except closer to Mexico which averages 28C this time of year.

OFMa0v4.jpg

The enso 1-2 hype and fear is almost exclusively a snow weenie talking point when trying to downplay thia nino over the epac.

Nothing IMO is more frustrating than dealing with people being disingenuous. Especially in a scientific based discussion.

I deeply appreciate the level of personal integrity you always bring to these discussions.

You don't make it personal. You don't throw busted predictions and projections in someones face to discredit them while ignoring your own. It's much appreciated and well respected.

Enso 1-2 is from 90-80W and on top of that its also South of the equator between 0-10S.

Great for taking the progression of enso events. Good for taking fishing interests and coral reef concerns.

Hundreds of posts by snow weenies going on and on about this tiny region because it's cooler than 1997. Good for 2nd and 3rd place in over 140 years of data.

w0irZ6i.jpg

2FNYku5.jpg

Its short lived. But still a reversal of the trades between 120W and the SA coast. Mostly along and North of the equator will definitely cause strong warming.

yeXMXCn.jpg

The sub surface warm pool is still moving East. At this time there is sufficient warmth for abruptly strong warming between 110-80W.

We will see.

7BFh1hR.jpg

e16ewgQ.jpg

What implications come from so much tropical convection that far East and North of the equator?

EViky2m.jpg

Never the less there is a 12-15 degree of latitude band of 28-30C ssts running from Mexico WSW back to the equator.

Most of this area should be 26C except closer to Mexico which averages 28C this time of year.

OFMa0v4.jpg

With all due respect GW (since I do not know you on a personal level), calling a spade a spade is not being a "snow weenie."  You have been relentlessly forecasting record warmth in ENSO region 1.2 for weeks upon weeks; only presenting data that could kind of support your forecast  but only if you look at it "hard enough."  The fact is that pretty much almost all of your predictions proved incorrect.  You've been ending your posts with "we will see" as if your predictions haven't already come and gone.  We have in fact seen region 1.2 start a descent in SST's, haven't we?  

w0irZ6i.jpg

2FNYku5.jpg

yeXMXCn.jpg

We will see.

7BFh1hR.jpg

e16ewgQ.jpg

EViky2m.jpg

OFMa0v4.jpg

Per Allan's (RaleighWx) twitter:

post-5119-0-55608000-1447801297.png

That's not hype or fear, that's plain fact. Of course, we'll have to see what happens after this; the temperature decrease will likely slow down, but I don't see any explosive warming you've mentioned over the past two months happening.

As for your other points:

Sure, 1.2's tiny, but 1997 was also a beast in region 3, and while this event's strong there, it's still currently weaker than '97. And regions 3.4 and 4 are setting new records by the day, so I don't understand why the focus would be on 3 or 1.2.

I can't argue much over the 850 mb Zonal Wind Anomalies, but you've been tooting this horn for the past few months, and as you can see in the above graph, it's not done much for 1.2 (which was the region you've primarily been saying will see warming, especially in your earlier posts). The same goes with the 1-degree-longitude-every-3-days eastward shift you've been focusing on. Region 3, again, is a different story, but I'll say it again: region 3 is not the most impressive part of this Nino. 

Sure, maybe the forcing north of the equator will impact the Nino, but I betcha it won't be nearly as much as that much stronger forcing just west of the dateline that's actually on the equator  :P

Don't mistake me; I don't think that 1.2 is gonna collapse or anything, I'm just skeptical of this magically becoming east-based with everything that's going on right now. I think 1.2 will probably level out in a few days, then maybe warm a little, but for the most part I do think it's hit its peak (as the CFS promised).

One more thing, GW... you can't discount the "tiny region of 1.2" and pretend that this region being cooler than in 1997 does not have big implications.  There is nothing more fickle than the weather pattern when it comes to even a moderate difference in location of the warmest SST's in the Pacific, especially in ENSO regions.  The "small" difference in location has had HUGE implications in the overall weather pattern over the past 140 years.  Additionally, if you look at the size of the anomaly in 1997 not only east to west but north to south....well, this is an entirely different ballgame.

The 28C line is all that matters pertaining to enso.

In the real world physics matter.

Climo is not uniform throughout the enso regions.

A +5C anomaly in the middle of enso 1-2 versus a +5C anomaly in the middle of enso 4 is not the same.

Light blue/green line: 23C

Green/yellow: 27C

Yellow/red: 31C

Sequence 1982, 1997, 2015.

1982 and 2015 are LITERALLY THE SAME. 1997 is slightly further East/South than the other two.

LK2F0ar.jpg

It is what it is.

Also enso 3 in 1997 had a 3.6C anomaly at this time.

That's again almost the same.

1997: 3.6C

2015: 3.0C

2009: 1.2C

2002: 1.4C

One more thing, GW... you can't discount the "tiny region of 1.2" and pretend that this region being cooler than in 1997 does not have big implications. There is nothing more fickle than the weather pattern when it comes to even a moderate difference in location of the warmest SST's in the Pacific, especially in ENSO regions. The "small" difference in location has had HUGE implications in the overall weather pattern over the past 140 years. Additionally, if you look at the size of the anomaly in 1997 not only east to west but north to south....well, this is an entirely different ballgame.

The anomalies are skewed. This is identical to 1982 and slightly West of 1997.

A +5C anomaly in the middle of enso 1-2 versus a +5C anomaly in the middle of enso 4 is not the same.

LK2F0ar.jpg

The anomalies are skewed. This is identical to 1982 and slightly West of 1997.

LK2F0ar.jpg

I get that climo is not uniform throughout the Pacific, it's why El Ninos happen in the first place. 

The SST map you posted is pretty broad; that's a 4 Celsius/Kelvin difference between each color, so really I don't know if saying it's exactly like 1982 is good if the margin of error can be up to 4 degrees Celsius. Also note the greens that hug the SA coast in 97 and 82, but not 2015. That's the key difference right there.

Got the 28C mark isolated.

The 301k mark equals 28C.

1982, 2015, 1997.

1982 is clearly warmer in enso 1-2 then 2015 which means nothing at those temps.

However 2015 is warmer over enso 3 and the subtropical epac.

The 28C line is much further East and much wider than 1982 over the subtropical epac.

The 28C line is much closer between 2015 and 1997 than 1982.

OaRLFnL.jpg

Got the 28C mark isolated.

The 301k mark equals 28C.

1982, 2015, 1997.

1982 is clearly warmer in enso 1-2 then 2015 which means nothing at those temps.

However 2015 is warmer over enso 3 and the subtropical epac.

The 28C line is much further East and much wider than 1982 over the subtropical epac.

The 28C line is much closer between 2015 and 1997 than 1982.

OaRLFnL.jpg

Past 1.2 and eastern parts of region 3 (note the jump up in the 299 K line), it's a pretty decent comparison, but I do think you're slightly underestimating the power of 1.2's influence. Then again, we've only got like 2 years to go off of as far as past records go for 1.2-strong El Ninos (1982 and 1997), so maybe I'm overestimating it.

Here`s the European , it also looks to force between 160 and west of 180 .

Which looks similar to the NMME .

if you posted the Euro seasonal and NMME  J - M side by side @  500 , you will see they also match up pretty well. 

No guidance forced east ( 120 - 140 ) where we forced in 97 .

So this is not that .....  The  CFS is the further east of all the guidance ( Still looks centered at 160 ) .

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/NMME/current/prate_Seas2.html

ps2png-atls20-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

Past 1.2 and eastern parts of region 3 (note the jump up in the 299 K line), it's a pretty decent comparison, but I do think you're slightly underestimating the power of 1.2's influence. Then again, we've only got like 2 years to go off of as far as past records go for 1.2-strong El Ninos (1982 and 1997), so maybe I'm overestimating it.

I appreciate the logical response.

I have no preference in how this turns out. This has been a great learning experience for me.

I read a couple papers from the NOAA CPC site about tropical convection. And the 28C mark was starkly represented as a requirement for tropical convection.

This nino is epic from about 105W to the dateline.

With a sharp gradient East of there for having the deep tropical heat reaching so far East.

But overall the 28C region is pretty large and far East.

Beyond that I don't know what this means going forward.

But we do know even if anomalies are huge if the actual water temp isn't reaching very very close to 28CC orwarmer it won't factor into the convection process. Which is the backbone of this whole thing.

Its just some thing that is pretty important.

Forecasters don't say we are going to see a high of -3F below normal Thursday.

Because that has no real world value.

We talk about nino in terms of anomalies. Which is a way to compare them to each other.

But it has no real world application.

So I find it fascinating that the 28C mark of is so far East.

Which enso 1-2 can't account for.

GW, there are other indicators to examine beyond SST's. The 850mb anomalies have been quite a bit different than a year like 1997, for example, over the past few months. 850mb zonal wind anomalies are generally a valuable proxy for ascertaining where the strongest westerly wind bursts are occurring. Additionally, the most robust low level convergence tends to be located immediately east of those wind anomalies. The walker cell orientation has favored the greatest upward motion between 150-180W over the past few months, while in 1997, it was more toward 120-165W.

850mb wind anomalies. Note the scales are different as well. Strong westerly anomalies west of the dateline in October, which also aided in the build-up of region 3.4 / 4 extreme warmth.

2j17nnc.png

1997 - October 850mb wind anomalies.

In 2015, zonal wind anomalies were generally < +6 m/s from 140W eastward. In 1997, we had +8-10 m/s anomalies all the way over at 140-35W. Those differences in both magnitude and location of zonal wind anomalies are important, as they are suggestive of the behavior of the ENSO event overall.

One can see that over the past month-two months, zonal wind anomalies have consistently verified west of forecasts. We haven't had many strong bursts maintain east of 140W, which is largely why this event pales in comparison to 1997 east of 140W.

jp8m6r.png

GW, there are other indicators to examine beyond SST's. The 850mb anomalies have been quite a bit different than a year like 1997, for example, over the past few months. 850mb zonal wind anomalies are generally a valuable proxy for ascertaining where the strongest westerly wind bursts are occurring. Additionally, the most robust low level convergence tends to be located immediately east of those wind anomalies. The walker cell orientation has favored the greatest upward motion between 150-180W over the past few months, while in 1997, it was more toward 120-165W.

850mb wind anomalies. Note the scales are different as well. Strong westerly anomalies west of the dateline in October, which also aided in the build-up of region 3.4 / 4 extreme warmth.

2j17nnc.png

1997 - October 850mb wind anomalies.

In 2015, zonal wind anomalies were generally < +6 m/s from 140W eastward. In 1997, we had +8-10 m/s anomalies all the way over at 140-35W. Those differences in both magnitude and location of zonal wind anomalies are important, as they are suggestive of the behavior of the ENSO event overall.

One can see that over the past month-two months, zonal wind anomalies have consistently verified west of forecasts. We haven't had many strong bursts maintain east of 140W, which is largely why this event pales in comparison to 1997 east of 140W.

jp8m6r.png

I strongly agree. It's been this way for months now, I think.

soi minimums ...

day.....1997...2015 soi minimums...

086...-38.04..........076...-35.90

101...-38.78..........098...-31.15

124...-37.85..........129...-46.94

143...-41.87..........135...-33.15

151...-85.72..........143...-17.75

162...-49.99..........156...-04.71

168...-61.70..........166....10.75

180...-21.54..........177...-48.73

197...-09.84..........197...-31.46

204...-34.78..........204...-11.39

215...-15.82..........215...-37.87

233...-33.88..........233...-21.85

254...-17.27..........254...-33.75

260...-26.63..........260...-04.93

278...-32.98..........276...-49.77

308...-56.59..........308...-11.65

318....20.56..........318...-04.65

331...-44.58..........321....11.51

337...-21.19..........337...-47.59

032...-77.60

093...-52.94

120...-53.83

soi has been positive for a few days on and off recently...1997 soi was still way lower around this time of the year...

second check shows the soi went positive from day 314-321 in 1997...after it went back to very negative numbers...is this year's latest soi a blip on the radar like 1997?...twt...

Archived