joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also having the event develop from a Modoki base state back in March helped set the more westerly tone.

attachicon.gifsst.png

Fascinating and that's the best reasoning I've heard yet to date as to why this super niño or extremely close to super niño has maintained its basin wide nature. It's almost as if it's following an atmospheric lag response from last year.

We are likely within 2 weeks of the peak.

CFS shows a weak down welling Kelvin wave over the 120W to SA coast.

Because of a few days seeing the strongest trade reversal this far East.

The CFS after shows the anomaloustrades slowly weakening but not moving West yet.

Never the less. This wwb will likely trigger the last spike in warmth East Of 120W.

This will likely be a very strong quick surge. Especially along and North of the equator.

97GLoO8.jpg

The subsurface warmth is still moving East. This should be fun.

nhK5QW8.jpg

Convection has been going big time over the East/central Pacific subtropical basin right along the river of death that is running 28-30C.

There is convection along the entire basin.

But this region has really flared up.

FfRl3Qa.jpg

Very impressive.

snGVZ8w.jpg

We are entering late November and things are not going back to the way they were before the first mjo pulse.

Not yet.

Ss22VRJ.jpg

An above normal November and December has been the call here since August/September .

Yawn at a 10 day 500 mb map in late November as if it lends credence to your forecast .

Come back in late December to witness the pattern retrograde in time for the more favorable J-M forecast period.

I haven't seen any forecasts with an early start to winter.

I don't think January is favorable. Wintry may not come until February. Typical very strong Nino + very positive QBO response...

Please find me a "typical " strong NINO with a warm IO a warm EP with forcing centered at 160 ( and thats being generous ) and post the winter results for us .

I am curious to see these "typical " responses. This NINO has no analog so be careful with the broad brushing approach.

Please find me a "typical " strong NINO with a warm IO a warm EP with forcing centered at 160 ( and thats being generous ) and post the winter results for us .

I am curious to see these "typical " responses. This NINO has no analog so be careful with the broad brushing approach.

In a few months, we'll know if I'm right or not.

The new IRI plumes are out, they are peaking the ONI at +2.6C for Nov-Dec-Jan: https://twitter.com/ggweather/status/667416669359181824

The new IRI plumes are out, they are peaking the ONI at +2.6C for Nov-Dec-Jan: https://twitter.com/ggweather/status/667416669359181824

ONI will be lower...IRI plume isn't based off ERSST

I'd guess we'll see forcing continue to shift east as the warmest water is gradually consolidated to 100W-140W

Matt , I disagree. The ' warmest " plus 30 c waters are between 150 and 180 , the greatest deviations from N do span from 100 to 150 , but with R 4 at plus 1.7 it's much warmer west.

I expect that the guidance is in line and we force west during the season and not east.

Matt , I disagree. The ' warmest " plus 30 c waters are between 160 and 180 , the greatest deviations from N do span from 100 to 150 , but with R 4 at plus 1.7 it's much warmer west.

I expect that the guidance is in line and we force west during the season and not east.

Correction: 180-150W.

Our forcing is most likely related to the MJO. We need the MJO to die off... The MJO is causing a large pocket of forcing over the Indian Ocean, and results in a pocket of sinking air over the Maritime Continent. Then, another pocket of forcing develops to the east of the Maritime, which is the same forcing we are seeing build, and is also the forcing you mentioned. It is suggested this activity will shift east as the MJO pushes east and dies off.

Correction: 180-150W.

Our forcing is most likely related to the MJO. We need the MJO to die off... The MJO is causing a large pocket of forcing over the Indian Ocean, and results in a pocket of sinking air over the Maritime Continent. Then, another pocket of forcing develops to the east of the Maritime, which is the same forcing we are seeing build, and is also the forcing you mentioned. It is suggested this activity will shift east as the MJO pushes east and dies off.

Sure , 150 to 180 looks good to me. 160 being the Centerpoint .

I like the look at the overall guidance for 160 as 3.4and 4 are at record levels I think I /guidance favor the forcing there. . The convection is never stationary , but I think the atmosphere will be more apt to force further west this year.

Enso 1-2 has begun to make likely it's final push.

uF9qex0.jpg

What's more intriguing to me is that the CFS has another mjo pulse take off the first of December running from the dateline to the far East Pacific.

This is a sign of convection staying East of the dateline and propagating East.

70LzYxJ.jpg

Coincidently or not the models continue to trend towards absolute ugliness.

EgKcRxC.jpg

The 06z gfs has historical rainfall over aa huge area in the Midwest that has already been smoked.

This is of course highly subject to change. Never the less it's a hell of a run.

E33KAlO.jpg

Stay tuned

I'd guess we'll see forcing continue to shift east as the warmest water is gradually consolidated to 100W-140W

Vast majority of guidance forces sufficiently west for the balance of the season........as far as the next five weeks are concerned, we all expected that period to suck, anyway.

Based upon my research, statistically that has a very / very low probability of occurring. Additionally, given the absolute warmth is centered generally 180-150W, that will tend to promote the strongest convection there, though we'll see convection east as well. We'll see though.

About 3.5 months ago, WSI posted about a correlation between strong July blocking and DJF blocking. Of course, we saw the second strongest blocking on record this July. With December only 10 days away, I thought I'd see what we should expect for December, assuming the correlation exists. 

After some digging, I found the years that had top 10 strongest July blocks... and each of the following DJFs had a mean -NAO.

If you don't feel like clicking on each link, most Decembers featured rather strong blocking. The only exceptions are 1957 (strong +NAO), 1980 (east-based +NAO), and 1960 (moderate +NAO).

Average of all the years

7tPoKhg1AX.png

Keep in mind, WSI's correlation only focuses on the NAO.

It's interesting to note that the warm pool hasn't really cooled off as it has migrated like it has with past big Ninos. Some real bathwater 30-32C SSTs sitting out there. Definitely atypical behavior.

If the latest data is to be believed, region 3.4 is at over +3.1C right now. That in and of itself is hard to believe

Archived