joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Climo ? The NINO was still east based in July , I first had to be right that the NINO would migrate west , then I have to be right that the forcing remains out bet 160 - 180

No CLIMO was against me in July .

NOV/DEC 97 was cold across the CONUS

It may that as globe is warming the EL NINO seems to be getting warmer closer to the D/L .

97/98 was east based , so you naturally had greater forcing east .

You got it right regardless. I didn't realize the dates didn't mesh until this past post.

This (super) Nino still has some tricks up its sleeve. Who would have thought the pac NW would be getting clobbered while SoCal sits relatively dry? This is were our chance still lies in a big second half. If this Nino were playing by the book I would throw in the towel

You got it right regardless. I didn't realize the dates didn't mesh until this past post.

This (super) Nino still has some tricks up its sleeve. Who would have thought the pac NW would be getting clobbered while SoCal sits relatively dry? This is were our chance still lies in a big second half. If this Nino were playing by the book I would throw in the towel

There is always the chance though we won a lot of the smaller battles but we could still lose the war in terms of how this all ends.

If we got the migration right , won the basin wide vs east based argument , stuck a 2 on the ONI ( good call but light ) , kept the warmer water in the EP region intact , got the D/L forcing right and caught the warm start in Nov/Dec only to NOT get a winter like flip from J to M then that would suck from my perspective.

I can think of 2 people here that would love that ....

I am aware of the risk.

The interesting thing about the pattern coming up for the next few weeks is that it more resembles

a strong -PDO era El Nino like December 65 and 72. The NPAC ridge south of the Aleutians and

Aleutian Low placement over Western North America has more of a -PDO flavor than the

+PDO that we are currently in. But the ridge and warmth over the Northeast is greater than

those years were.

attachicon.gif500mb.png

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a5d_namer_1.png

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a5d_namer_2.png

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a5d_namer_3.png

Yea, def...I mentioned above that this has def. been pulling a 1972 thus far...funny because that was the closest ENSO match.

We started seeing this tendency last May with the trough displaced further east over Western North America.

So there were hints to this more -PDO looking El Nino 500 mb pattern early on. It has produced record warmth

in the East since May. The pattern coming up the next several weeks is just an extension of this.

attachicon.gifMAY.png

attachicon.gifSEP.png

attachicon.gifNOV.png

We'll have to watch that.

If that were to ever throw a wrench in things, I'm not sure anyone in the east would have a right to complain after what the west has been subjected to.

I am wondering if that anomalous blob of warm SST's off the West Coast of the US this year has something to do with it?

Notice how the -PDO of May-November  1965 and 1972 had warmer SST's in that region associated with

the -PDO. The warmth this year out there well exceeds the typical -PDO composite, but we have never really seen a

set up like this before with the very strong El Nino and record warm NPAC.

attachicon.gif6572.png

attachicon.gif15.png

Warm water off of the west coast is indicative of a positive PDO.

I can't see those images at work.

The further west extension of that warm pool is different from your typical +PDO regime. Notice how the classic

+PDO signature has a cold pool NE of Hawaii. This year had that record breaking

warm pool where cold normally is in a +PDO. That overlap region is where all the warmth was focused 

in a more -PDO pattern.

attachicon.gif15.png

attachicon.gifcomp.gif

Interesting.

I'll have to look at home....like I said, can't see the images.

Is it possible that the atmosphere is telling us a PDO flip is coming? The atmosphere leading the way of the SSTs?

With the Nina coming next year, it's certainly possible. It is striking how there's been so many western troughs since November. I think we're at 5 right now... got 2 more coming in the next week or so (15th and 19th)

I just don't know how things are gonna change in the next 2 months. It's possible that we just go back to the western ridge if the Aleutian low retrogrades far enough.

Archived