• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

A true Modoki is when 1.2 and 4 are actually BN and the central basin is AN .  However  basin wide forcing is closer to Modoki style forcing so the result at 500 tends to act in a similar fashion , but this NINO on the surface is basin wide. 

Same page.

FYI, I can not post, but I have screen shotted juxtapositions of the J, F, M euro data from the past two monthly cycles, and the only change that I can discern is that everything is retrograded just a hair west southwest.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same page.

FYI, I can not post, but I have screen shotted juxtapositions of the J, F, M euro data from the past two monthly cycles, and the only change that I can discern is that everything is retrograded just a hair west southwest.

Agree , the highest heights center just W of the OCT 500 mb seasonal forecast  near Hudson Bay .   The NEG that is centered over Alaska which is in line with the early guidance  will come SW over the next 6 weeks . 

Even the CFS brings the NEG S . 

But over time the ridge in the East " should get shunted " N . The CFS and Euro differ in that the Euro heads the POS at  500 N then W , but the CFS is stationary over HB and on east ..

Agree , the highest heights center just W of the OCT 500 mb seasonal forecast  near Hudson Bay .   The NEG that is centered over Alaska which is in line with the early guidance  will come SW over the next 6 weeks . 

Even the CFS brings the NEG S . 

But over time the ridge in the East " should get shunted " N . The CFS and Euro differ in that the Euro heads the POS at  500 N then W , but the CFS is stationary over HB and on east ..

Open-shut case.

This is an easy call.

Maps , compliments of OH  weather .  

A basin wide and Modoki style forcing tend to give you a similar response at 500 on the east coast .

This a strong basin wide NINO with record 3.4 and 4 warmth being recorded . We are all aware .

If we force at 140 - then we are wrong and the forecast dies . If we force between 160 - 170 we have a chance of being right .

Nothing more , nothing less .  After 80 pages , there`s plenty of bump troll material here  , so we can circle back in Feb and see how it worked out .

post-525-0-44810800-1445449906.pngpost-525-0-32101400-1445449818.png

Hmm...

tlon_heat.gif

If you look at the third downwelling (the very large one exceeding 2.5), you can early see the heat content weakening as it hits the S.A. coast.

However, this may be due to the fact that there was a lot of upwelling there, which faded quickly upon the arrival of the third downwelling.

The question is, will the fourth downwelling which is currently pushing east weaken or persist its anomalies as it hits S.A.? This will determine if the Niño 1+2 will skyrocket or continue to plummet.

Hmm...

tlon_heat.gif

If you look at the third downwelling (the very large one exceeding 2.5), you can early see the heat content weakening as it hits the S.A. coast.

However, this may be due to the fact that there was a lot of upwelling there, which faded quickly upon the arrival of the third downwelling.

The question is, will the fourth downwelling which is currently pushing east weaken or persist its anomalies as it hits S.A.? This will determine if the Niño 1+2 will skyrocket or continue to plummet.

that map is centered on 11/4....do you have anything more recent?

that map is centered on 11/4....do you have anything more recent?

No, but expect a newer version (11/9) to arrive in 3-4 days, possibly even earlier.

We do have TAO data, but the sensors have recently died off over a large portion of the eastern equatorial Pacific, making it unreliable for now. Hopefully the sensors get fixed soon.

No, but expect a newer version (11/9) to arrive in 3-4 days, possibly even earlier.

We do have TAO data, but the sensors have recently died off over a large portion of the eastern equatorial Pacific, making it unreliable for now. Hopefully the sensors get fixed soon.

likely Global Warmer and one of his shipmates using whale spears confiscated from Japanese fishing vessels to destroy sensors not responding as expected to progged WWBs

(relax GW, just bustin' your chops) 

Official SOI value for October was -20.2, which places this El Nino among a very small list of events that achieved a -20 or lower monthly SOI.

There were only 4 other such occurrences since 1940. Those SOI monthly minima were:

-29.4 in 1940-41

-22.6 in 1965-66

-33.3 in 1982-83

-28.5 in 1997-98

Over the past couple days, SOI values have surged positive for the first time in awhile. 30-day running SOI is up from -20 to -12. However, the question becomes: have we seen our monthly SOI minimum, or this a transient pattern? 1982 and 1997 featured very negative monthlies through winter as the events maintained intensity. 1965 had a strongly negative November SOI, then rapidly trended more positive for the ensuing three months (into the -5 to -10 range).

My guess is that we're seeing a transient interruption, and strongly negative SOI dailies will resume. It's possible we haven't achieved our minimum monthly yet, although, if not Oct or this month, I expect it would be December. The weakening of this +ENSO event will occur more quickly than 82/97, but more slowly than 1965. However, 1965's trimonthly peak occurred in OND, which I anticipate will occur with this event (though at a higher value).

Official SOI value for October was -20.2, which places this El Nino among a very small list of events that achieved a -20 or lower monthly SOI.

There were only 4 other such occurrences since 1940. Those SOI monthly minima were:

-29.4 in 1940-41

-22.6 in 1965-66

-33.3 in 1982-83

-28.5 in 1997-98

Over the past couple days, SOI values have surged positive for the first time in awhile. 30-day running SOI is up from -20 to -12. However, the question becomes: have we seen our monthly SOI minimum, or this a transient pattern? 1982 and 1997 featured very negative monthlies through winter as the events maintained intensity. 1965 had a strongly negative November SOI, then rapidly trended more positive for the ensuing three months (into the -5 to -10 range).

My guess is that we're seeing a transient interruption, and strongly negative SOI dailies will resume. It's possible we haven't achieved our minimum monthly yet, although, if not Oct or this month, I expect it would be December. The weakening of this +ENSO event will occur more quickly than 82/97, but more slowly than 1965. However, 1965's trimonthly peak occurred in OND, which I anticipate will occur with this event (though at a higher value).

the lowest daily soi totals don't come close to 1997-98...

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/soidatafiles/DailySOI1887-1989Base.txt

-29.4 in 1940-41

-22.6 in 1965-66

-33.3 in 1982-83

-28.5 in 1997-98

My guess is that we're seeing a transient interruption, and strongly negative SOI dailies will resume. It's possible we haven't achieved our minimum monthly yet, although, if not Oct or this month, I expect it would be December. The weakening of this +ENSO event will occur more quickly than 82/97, but more slowly than 1965. However, 1965's trimonthly peak occurred in OND, which I anticipate will occur with this event (though at a higher value).

when are you coming out with your winter outlook? look forward to reading it

I agree, Uncle. By a number of metrics, the 1997-98 event remains in a class of its own, in my opinion.

when are you coming out with your winter outlook? look forward to reading it

Thanks, thunderbolt. Hopefully by the end of this week. Research is essentially compiled, I just need to write it up.

Thankfully one does not have to go too far back to see stuff like this ...

glbT2mSeaInd3.gif

temp2.glob.DJF2015.1nov2014.gif

This is pretty far away from what is being advertised. I think the warm signal is legit, no wishcasting here and I don't necessarily love warmth, it's nice to finally change the deck up after the past three winters tho. Reality check up.

This is pretty far away from what is being advertised. I think the warm signal is legit, no wishcasting here and I don't necessarily love warmth, it's nice to finally change the deck up after the past three winters tho.

Just saying , the above are last years seasonal outlooks if one cares which of the guidance verified better . ( Jamstec vs the CFS ) .

The CFS is really alone in the winter long blowtorch camp . I see if it N and D, I just don`t see it  in J - M `that`s all 

Archived