Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One has to be cautious about extending the present into the future. Two weeks down the road, the ensembles are split on whether the AO will go negative or stay positive. The ensembles are in strong agreement that the AO will descend from current levels.

Historically, November 1978 featured a record AO+. The AO was above +3 on November 22. On November 25, it had fallen to -1.212. A day later, it was -2.138. From that point through mid-December, there were short-lived blocks. On December 19, 1978, a prolonged period of blocking set in.

Transient block isn't going to cut it this year, imho.

there was one around December 12th 1982 the same time NYC picked up 3" of snow with more to the south...the ao hit a low on 12/12/82...the nao was positive 30 of 31 days in December 82...the ao was negative 1/29 to 2/26/83...the nao was negative from 2/2 to 2/21/83...we need the ao/nao to be negative in February...

Read HM's new tweet and retweet. There is a very strong stratospheric polar vortex right now that is forecast to get even stronger. That definitely does not bode well for a -AO/NAO: https://twitter.com/antmasiello/status/663831265540444160

The good news is that we are also seeing a strengthening Siberian High in response to the +SAI/SCE. We may see more perturbations of the stratospheric vortex toward the end of the month, if Cohen's theory holds up this year. 

It's too soon to be sure about blocking. I agree that transient blocking might not be enough, especially if the Pacific is hostile.

Fortunately, the PDO+ makes a PNA+ more likely than not. That's one potentially helpful variable.

We'll have to see how the AO evolves. The current strongly positive figure has no bearing on whether or not the winter will feature a predominantly positive or negative AO. November 1978 set the record for highest November AO average and the highest daily figure in November. Yet the winter featured a lot of blocking. 

Many thanks man.

I think the CFS , which is further east than the Euro centers the forcing around 160 if you avg D J F.

I'm not saying the CFS is right but it too is seeing the warmer anomalies In 3.4 and 4 and I'm sure that helps in the more basin style forcing.

I have a theory about El Nino based on the Southwestern Monsoon - the location of the coldest anatomies winter seem to flip between the NE/MW and the SW based on whether the SW monsoon was active (wet) during the summer. I live in Albuquerque. Look at the years Albuquerque had a wet monsoon (rains June 15-Sept 30), vs. October 2015. It's by no means a perfect match, but we had a wet monsoon this Summer...and sure enough we're closer to the wet monsoon analogs for October. Am I crazy to think this could continue into the winter?

I'm not trying to imply the monsoon determines the location of the warmth, just that is seems like a decent indicator for whether the country will be warm or cold generally in the Fall of an El Nino year.

Wet Monsoons in the Southwest during El Nino (1931-2013 base)

cd70.57.254.27.313.23.22.18.prcp.png

October 2015 Actuals

cd70.57.254.27.313.23.16.58.prcp.png

Dry Monsoon in the Southwest, October Composites

cd70.57.254.27.313.23.23.14.prcp.png

Wet Monsoon + El Nino in Winter:

cd70.57.254.27.313.23.25.20.prcp.png

Dry Monsoon + El Nino in Winter:

cd70.57.254.27.313.23.24.24.prcp.png

How does it look for additional 1.2 warming?

Is it still trending downward?

I know it may warm again in a couple of weeks...

Sorry so late just saw this  , it`s over .   3  3.4 and 4 should continue to warm for a few more weeks . 

850mb winds have also shifted west , so what surfaces may not make it east of 120 .

( 850 Map courtesy of snowlover ) 

wkxzteq_all.gif

wkxzteq_anm.gif

u.anom.90.5S-5N.gif

ssttlon5_c.gif

Sorry so late just saw this , it`s over . 3 3.4 and 4 should continue to warm for a few more weeks .

850mb winds have also shifted west , so what surfaces may not make it east of 120 .

wkxzteq_all.gif

wkxzteq_anm.gif

u.anom.90.5S-5N.gif

ssttlon5_c.gif

The predicted WWB keeps getting stronger over Nino 3.4 and 3. My gut, 3.4 is at minimum +3.0C come December, if not higher

Sorry so late just saw this  , it`s over .   3  3.4 and 4 should continue to warm for a few more weeks . 

wkxzteq_all.gif

wkxzteq_anm.gif

u.anom.90.5S-5N.gif

ssttlon5_c.gif

Isn't the true def. of a modoki a heat sandwich? ie....hot in the middle, cool on the ends?

Obviously not there in terms of ssts, but if forcing has us surging in that direction....

Ray, did the updated Euro keep the same forecast for December that you posted in your discussion that you linked to a while back? Is there anyway that you can post the new monthlies as of the 8th on that same link?

The November Euro general call of SW trough Eastern ridge is working out. It's just verifying

more amplified than the old November monthly was showing.

Chris, still look good.

Let me see if I can get the ok from my source....

Isn't the true def. of a modoki a heat sandwich? ie....hot in the middle, cool on the ends?

Obviously not there in terms of ssts, but if forcing has us surging in that direction....

A true Modoki is when 1.2 and 4 are actually BN and the central basin is AN .  However  basin wide forcing is closer to Modoki style forcing so the result at 500 tends to act in a similar fashion , but this NINO on the surface is basin wide. 

Archived