• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

I wish you luck in your forecast. It would be the first time ever in the entire weather record keeping history that NYC has had a colder and snowier than normal winter with an El Niño this strong if you're correct....

Can you link to his forecast ? Thanks.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you luck in your forecast. It would be the first time ever in the entire weather record keeping history that NYC has had a colder and snowier than normal winter with an El Niño this strong if you're correct....

I like plus 1 with AN snow .

Can you link to his forecast ? Thanks.

Thanks . The sample size is so small and there is NO pacific analog to this event. Zero.

You have a warm IO may mean the MJO forces in 1 and 2. The IO was cold In 97 .

D/L forcing means the greatest upward motion is further west than 97

There was no NEG EPO in 97 so the trough was into the W coast

Of Canada.

The only thing that is the same is that you had a very warn equatorial basin

I can't wrap my head around the east base crowd that saw eastward forcing while losing the winter time -EPO

Maybe my luck will run out. But 3 for 3 here , so I think I am following the correct guidance.

The only other strong El Nino that matches the Euro small 500 mb section JB posted  from Hudson Bay to the D/L is 40-41.

attachicon.gif500.png

attachicon.gifERSSTv4-1870-Present-ONI-Timeseries-e1432412220233.png

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-11-08 at 4.42.08 PM.png

1940-1941 was also one of Alan Huffman's analogs, if I'm not mistaken.

Matches up well with the progression of the Euro Seasonal as well, with December being warm followed by a much more favorable Jan-Mar.

post-3451-0-96368200-1447020354_thumb.pn

post-3451-0-96298400-1447020364_thumb.pn

Let's just say, with region 3.4 nearing +3.0C as we approach December, if I put a forecast out it would not be for a colder than normal and snowier than normal winter

We definitely need blocking like in 09/10 to benefit otherwise the winter will be a lost cause.

We absolutely will not get away with a raging +AO/NAO like last year under such a strong ENSO event.

Hopefully we see more blocking develop late month into early December to get something going.

We definitely need blocking like in 09/10 to benefit otherwise the winter will be a lost cause.

We absolutely will not get away with a raging +AO/NAO like last year under such a strong ENSO event.

Hopefully we see more blocking develop late month into early December to get something going.

A +AO/NAO "like last year" is generally very unlikely because of its magnitude; it was record breaking, I think. 

I pretty much agree here. I definitely think 2009 is a strong analog, but that winter would have been a disaster were it not for the Atlantic side blocking, no?

That being said, I feel like we say the same thing every year: "It all comes down to blocking (be it Atlantic or Pacific)."

To be fair, if people want to use 2009 as an analog, they have to take the current state of the ENSO into account. They are nothing alike.

He is comparing the atmospheric evolution to that of November 2009...why is that so difficult to understand?

It has nothing to do with ENSO, or even the entirety of the impending season.

You can't mention to 2009 was without the ENSO PTSD's being triggered.

To be fair, if people want to use 2009 as an analog, they have to take the current state of the ENSO into account. They are nothing alike.

Not at all . It is being used because it was POS ENSO year that did this , 

D/L forcing . The reason is because you are looking at a MODOKI style/basin wide style forcing in the guidance ,

Raw basin temps , alone don`t determine the atmosphere  but having 3.4 and 4 so warm ( warmer than 1.2 ) is allowing the guidance to force west of 97 . Where the greatest upward motion occurs is going to matter .

No ONE is comparing the ENSO event . 

NMME_ensemble_prate_lead1.png

NMME_ensemble_prate_lead2.png

NMME_ensemble_prate_lead3.png

New GFS continued to shift the most anomalous weakening in the trade winds even further west. So it looks like once again, the best slowing of the trades will be focused West of 120 W.

01PPVuT.jpg

That is a radical forecast change.

I agree about things continually trending West.

But this was radical.

Yesterday's run would imply a major 1-2 warming.

This is par for the course.

The only other note is enso 4 will cool off with those positive anomalies cutting off the previous Easterlies that accelerated warming.

Never the less.

This nino in general is pretty fookin epic.

3C anomalies on oisst from 85W to the dateline has never been recorded.

1.5C all the way to 165E.

On a side note. The difference between 2010 Nina and this nino in actual ssts is incredible.

lOtQ6gi.jpg

He is comparing the atmospheric evolution to that of November 2009...why is that so difficult to understand?

It has nothing to do with ENSO, or even the entirety of the impending season.

You can't mention to 2009 was without the ENSO PTSD's being triggered.

Let me clarify. I understand why people are using 2009 as an analog. But they shouldn't....

And this this isn't 1997 either.

01PPVuT.jpg

That is a radical forecast change.

I agree about things continually trending West.

But this was radical.

It's also interesting to note how as we get closer to the date, the significant slowing of the trades keeps getting pushed back with time in the eastern regions and trends weaker as we get closer to the forecasted timeframe. While by the dateline, the forecasted slowing of the trades has actually trended stronger with each successive model run. 

The models like the Euro have been vindicated in their forecast for a big Nino 4 spike.

Nino 4 has set a all time record surpassing the 1.4 reading this spring

to an historic weekly +1.7. Nino 3.4 has tied the highest weekly record

of 2.8 set in 1997 and 1+2 is down a bit.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for

28OCT2015  2.3  2.8  2.7  1.4
04NOV2015  2.1  2.8  2.8  1.7

The models have been vindicated in their forecast for a big Nino 4 spike.

of 2.8 set in 1997.

SIGH ...........................

The models like the Euro have been vindicated in their forecast for a big Nino 4 spike.

28OCT2015 2.3 2.8 2.7 1.4

04NOV2015 2.1 2.8 2.8 1.7

Amazing, we have tied the highest weekly record the 97-98 event set more than 3 weeks before that record was set

I think 3.4 gets to plus 3c before this quits and just wow at seeing plus 1.7c in R4 , that`s epic .  

No wonder why the forcing is just shunted out that way , the D/L region is on fire . 

This is like a reversed version of 97-98 where Nino 4 and 1+2 switched places

and much warmer waters off the West Coast.

The 30.3°C SSTs in Region 4 is also the highest ever on the weeklies.

Archived