• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

Outside of urban areas, temp departures this month are quite a bit less with the clear and dry nights we've seen so far...Temp departure here after today is +3.7 degrees with the daily min mean right at normal and the max at +7 degrees.

I'm at -0.3 here. Largest departure difference I've seen b/t NYC and here. Almost all of my nights have been < 52F with 4 in the low-mid 40s and 2 in the upper 30s (2nd and 3rd). The next several days will boost it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that it's raining out there. I didn't think rain was in the forecast for today, but I was too busy to look at any models yesterday. It's raining enough that there are actually puddles in the street, but not enough to give the ground the soaking that it needs. Just an annoying rain that's stopping me from cutting the lawn today. 

It was warming up for a while but then it wasn't enough. We made it to 67 for an hour or two but now it's 59F.

Won't matter because the next 3 days we'll be torching, 90F possible. It looks like we go back to normal before things ramp up again. Early guess is we'll have a +4 to +5 monthly departure.

Dense fog again now, after a high of 63 today.

This type of pattern is not too dissimilar from coastal California weather at this time of year: low clouds/fog move inland overnight/early morning, burn off first inland during the day, approach the coast, and fog begins to move back onshore at night. We have advection fog right now, caused primarily by the higher dew point air moving over the still chilly ocean waters in the lower 50s. This is a bit of a microcosm of the pattern at the foggiest place on earth - Grand Banks off of Newfoundland - where the warm gulf stream air meets the chilly Labrador current. You'll note that one of the key ingredients for the foggiest places on earth is chilly water temperatures (e.g., West Coast, Maine coast, Newfoundland, etc.).

Dense fog again now, after a high of 63 today.

This type of pattern is not too dissimilar from coastal California weather at this time of year: low clouds/fog move inland overnight/early morning, burn off first inland during the day, approach the coast, and fog begins to move back onshore at night.

The June gloom. I'll be there for much of it. Clouds all morning and sunshine by lunch. Also no rain.

Was lucky here today - clouds and a quick shower through 130 pm. Breaks of sun till 3 then mostly sunny after. Got to 74. areas just east not so lucky.

Upstate NY  Rochester . Thats where the gheat was

The area south of Lake Ontario can be an oven this time of year on south winds. They downslope on that wind from the mountains and it heats up like crazy. 

Made it up to 85-86 here today with crazy humidity. Along the Rio Grande heated up well into the 90s. Laredo hit 100 this afternoon. 

Archived