• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Modicum Mauler (II) - April 8, 2015

NorEastermass128

But as Will alluded to earlier....we need the good thump of QPF and not some shredded, showery look to radar while 30DBZ echoes move across CNE or something like that. 

However, that's a great CAD situation and thermal packing.  That should help generate echoes.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pounding sleet fest for N Ct going over to fairly significant icing.  I'm not sure if it would favor valley or elevations or both

Any icing would favor elevations in this setup since the soundings cool significantly until they reach around 900mb. Most of our icing events are like this...with the exception of some of those marginal ones where like 30-31 air gets trapped in the valleys for a few hours.

There def could be decent glaze tomorrow night. Won't be enough qpf to cause power issues or anything I wouldn't think, but the fact we could see any glaze at all in April is pretty interesting.

Any icing would favor elevations in this setup since the soundings cool significantly until they reach around 900mb. Most of our icing events are like this...with the exception of some of those marginal ones where like 30-31 air gets trapped in the valleys for a few hours.

There def could be decent glaze tomorrow night. Won't be enough qpf to cause power issues or anything I wouldn't think, but the fact we could see any glaze at all in April is pretty interesting.

I know up in ORH area Theres been a few Zr events in Napril before. But I'm racking my brain and I can't think of any Napril icing events around here at all??

Didn't N ORH have an icing/mixed event last year in April? Wish I could remember the date.....

There was one on April 12, 2013...sleet in that one actually. That was a daytime event too. The progs on that one though were definitely warmer than this one.

It's never data overload when they lean cold and snowier!

Well it can be...lol. But, if you have a suite of models sort of going in one direction..it helps confidence. Then again the only model (and it didn't even do that well) to go for a decent snow event on 2/14 was the GFS. The other models were really meh on that event if you recall. We know how that turned out. 

I seem to very vaguely remember some zr dz around here in some recent April event the more I rack my brain. I think it was in the evening or at night. Doesn't seem that long ago

You know what i take that back, I looked back at the April 16th post fropa snow storm, I had posted this

I actually saw glaze on the hillsides in Griswold CT when the sun came up on my slippery ride in,that alone for April 15 on the CP is notable 

There was one on April 12, 2013...sleet in that one actually. That was a daytime event too. The progs on that one though were definitely warmer than this one.

Was it all daytime though?  I remember seeing some heavy glazing on trees in the early morning.  I do remember seeing some sleet on the grassy surfaces though. 

You probably want a brisk NE wind too. That helps out with advection of cooler and drier air and would help fight off solar insolation which wants to warm surfaces like branches etc.  If anyone gets ZR, it's probably on the windward side of trees and things like that, especially during the daytime.

Well I think we still want the 18z and 00z runs to either remain steady or get more bullish to really go hard. If any pull back, it probably quickly becomes a pedestrian late season event for higher spots. You need a lot going for you this time of year, so it's important for all the ingredients to come together. Obviously a little more easier in higher elevations.

Well I think we still want the 18z and 00z runs to either remain steady or get more bullish to really go hard. If any pull back, it probably quickly becomes a pedestrian late season event for higher spots. You need a lot going for you this time of year, so it's important for all the ingredients to come together. Obviously a little more easier in higher elevations.

I'm still leaning that way but to have a wide variety of guidance suggesting a decent event I am paying more attention

You know what i take that back, I looked back at the April 16th post fropa snow storm, I had posted this

I actually saw glaze on the hillsides in Griswold CT when the sun came up on my slippery ride in,that alone for April 15 on the CP is notable 

I think you posted a picture of the trees too from the museum if my old memory serves me

Archived