• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Modicum Mauler (II) - April 8, 2015

NorEastermass128

NWS' AFD doesn't really insinuate too much that they are considering colder soundings ... interesting.  They're talking raw and wet, with ZR and sleet issues in the interior...

I suppose that much is a slam dunk... but, that NAM being sided with the RGEM inside of 36 hours might be more telling here.  I think they may scramble to advise the band between the Pike and Rt 2, and perhaps consider warning in a band just N...or heavily worded advisory. This is happening at night ...

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS' AFD doesn't really insinuate too much that it's considering colder soundings ... interesting.  They're talking raw and wet, with ZR and sleet issues in the interior...

I suppose that much is a slam dunk... but, that NAM being sided with the RGEM inside of 36 hours might be more telling here.  I think they may scramble to advise the band between the Pike and Rt 2, and perhaps consider warning in a band just N...or heavily worded advisory. This is happening at night ...

Well it goes into night, but it starts pretty early...like morning hours. I think most snow south of Rt 2 would occur during the day...but of course, the sleet/ZR issue would be particularly problematic at night after sundown.

The BL is so cold in that 900-950mb region

Well it goes into night, but it starts pretty early...like morning hours. I think most snow south of Rt 2 would occur during the day...but of course, the sleet/ZR issue would be particularly problematic at night after sundown.

The BL is so cold in that 900-950mb region

Oh right.  I screwed up my time intervals...  jesus.

Anyway, yeah, ...I'm not sure that really matters anyway?  Even if so, it would only add; in this case the BL is so cold that any elevated marginal column combined with heavier fall rates...  

I have seen snow/noodles on May 22nd in a Noreaster before... if it can do that, that late, THIS can do more than people think -

Oh right.  I screwed up my time intervals...  jesus.

Anyway, yeah, ...I'm not sure that really matters anyway?  Even if so, it would only add; in this case the BL is so cold that any elevated marginal column combined with heavier fall rates...  

I have seen snow/noodles on May 22nd in a Noreaster before... if it can do that, that late, THIS can do more than people think -

Yeah this is the common denominator on these solutions...they are frigid in the 900-950mb layer, we're talking like -7C to -9C. It's going to be frozen whatever comes down...the big question is can we get the QPF?

The RGEM/NAM say yes we can. We'll see if the GFS comes on board finally in a few minutes. It's been stubbornly dry...almost no precip at all until almost Thursday morning, and even then, it's quite light.

Yeah this is the common denominator on these solutions...they are frigid in the 900-950mb layer, we're talking like -7C to -9C. It's going to be frozen whatever comes down...the big question is can we get the QPF?

The RGEM/NAM say yes we can. We'll see if the GFS comes on board finally in a few minutes. It's been stubbornly dry...almost no precip at all until almost Thursday morning, and even then, it's quite light.

If it were just the NAM...  but the RGEM is usually a pretty good performer inside of 40 hours...  

I dunno -  

Look I remember in like 1987... there was a forecast for a gloppy inch or two where I was in Acton, in early April, N of a warm boundary, and it was 10" when we woke up ...  not even plowed either it was so off charted.  

Not saying the same here ... but, ya gotta be careful with "fresh" wedged polar air mass and nearly upright isentropic lift running up over the top -- particularly as you you say, with -7   ... I knew it was cold but holy moses

GFS gets QPF in here after 00z, but thrust of it is north with better WAA. LOL. big difference.

GFS is a total non-event for SNE while the NAM/RGEM are pretty big impacts along/north of the pike.

Should be interesting. The 00z Euro favored more the RGEM/NAM solution, but not fully on board. 12z will be an important run.

?

Really that's not as impressive as it looks...a few hours of light QPF that may produce a few pellets or a mild glaze.

Maybe "non-event" was the wrong word...but certainly minimal impact vs the other two model runs.

GFS is a total non-event for SNE while the NAM/RGEM are pretty big impacts along/north of the pike.

Should be interesting. The 00z Euro favored more the RGEM/NAM solution, but not fully on board. 12z will be an important run.

That's quite the difference for sensible wx...especially for me since I'll be handling it. 

Really that's not as impressive as it looks...a few hours of light QPF that may produce a few pellets or a mild glaze.

Maybe "non-event" was the wrong word...but certainly minimal impact vs the other two model runs.

I thought the .65 total qpf and the soundings looked much better than before and the trend towards a NAM RGEM scenario important

...Really that's not as impressive as it looksw hours of light QPF that may produce a few pellets or a mild glaze.

Yeah but those are pretty easter egg colors ...

Archived