Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

3 minutes ago, NJHurricane said:

Finally saw some faint ribbons as I still head north nearer Plattsburgh….nothing spectacular but I can say I seen em for the first time in my life.  Hope to see more later when we stop.

Also, just look for anomalous brightness of the N NE sky..  Sometimes that's all it is but still a great phenomena. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LSC97wxnut said:

In a dark as possible park in Newtonville, but hard to tell if the glow to the north is it or normal light pollution...

Use your phone or a camera it should show color 

Wow!  Shadows of light dancing across the clear starry sky in our front yard in Plymouth VT a few minutes ago.  No color really that I could see or photograph.  Just large dancing beams of light.  Earlier lots of green and reds through the breaks in the clouds when I took pictures.  I’ve always wanted to see it.  We are at 1100 feet with mountains and trees in the way of the horizon but the sky has been lit up to the north all evening.

IMG_4402.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow!  Shadows of light dancing across the clear starry sky in our front yard in Plymouth VT a few minutes ago.  No color really that I could see or photograph.  Just large dancing beams of light.  Earlier lots of green and reds through the breaks in the clouds when I took pictures.  I’ve always wanted to see it.  We are at 1100 feet with mountains and trees in the way of the horizon but the sky has been lit up to the north all evening.
IMG_4402.thumb.jpeg.b15233cfaccd52405b32eb1af4bb2525.jpeg

Question what does it look like by the naked eye vs camera?

Everyone should be ready in the next 5-10 mins onward… looks like an encore of sorts on the way 

I snapped pics because the sky looked brighter. I’m in CT close to New Haven so lots of ground light. Visually I see a bright light sky but the camera pics this up0566c69ea66223acdee013a6c938c8af.jpg

9 minutes ago, Spaizzo said:

Question what does it look like by the naked eye vs camera?

it’s like light beams dangling all over the sky but you don’t reallly see much color

Apparently supposed to continue through at least Sunday. I don’t remember 2003 but if that holds true this seems like a pretty long duration event. My best chance would probably be Sunday night. Not sure if the X5.8 is directed toward Earth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaizzo said:

Anyone have a. Recommendation for the best dark high elevation place that is accessible to the public in CT to see the goods tonight?

Light pollution map:  https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=6.71&lat=42.4578&lon=-71.9452&state=eyJiYXNlbWFwIjoiTGF5ZXJCaW5nUm9hZCIsIm92ZXJsYXkiOiJ3YV8yMDE1Iiwib3ZlcmxheWNvbG9yIjpmYWxzZSwib3ZlcmxheW9wYWNpdHkiOjYwLCJmZWF0dXJlc29wYWNpdHkiOjg1fQ==

• Like 1

As I'm sure you guys know, besides weather I like photography and space weather events.  With the new world of AI it is very hard to know what is "real" to the eye and what has been enhanced or altered.  Most of the Aurora photos on the net are slight time exposures or have been brightened or saturated to some degree.

One of the biggest questions I see is "did it look like that from the naked eye?"   Last night was amazing if you live in a very dark area like I do in Bridgewater NH.  The picture I am attaching is unaltered in any way.  It is what my Samsung Galaxy S23Ultra saw. Automatic setting by the camera, no adjustment at all by me. Pretty amazing for 1/4second exposure on a cellphone

NL house original.jpg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here’s a pic we got. Obv exposure-enhanced but that pink/purple pillar was very visible with naked eye and the glow around it actually got decently bright for a couple min. The green lower down you couldn’t see with naked eye. 

IMG_3095.jpeg

Same here in Ayer

In fact there were multiple pillars at one point paralleling each other. 

We also had that eerie turquoise iridescent glow on display down near the tree line along the N horizon, but ours had lateral dark cloud streets, too, which actually kind of added to it.

That was the most vivid display I've ever seen between my youth years in southern Michigan, and the few that I've seen around southern New England later on.  Both being of the same latitude.  I saw one once, looking N of Rockport's famed Headland, back in the mid 1980s. The aurora was just bright enough to reflect a little off the ocean - that was special.  I can only imagine what last night's might have looked like from that same vantage - even better.  Last night's display here in Ayer was intense enough to penetrate through the town's grid light pollution.  I just stepped down the road bit a out, out from under the street lamp glare and it was pretty stunning.

• Like 1