• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Well all I'm saying is it's very odd to have it this dry this time of year..and the overall pattern doesn't look wet at all thru the end of the month. The % of normal precip thru end of month is well below.. Someone saying .25 is a drought buster is either trolling or doesn't understand how we are entering convective/hot season..and that these things tend to feedback. 

To see critical fire wx in place with everything fully foliated and leafed out..that seems to me to be a pretty rare occurrence for SNE

Meh sorry you missed the rain but man did the lawn respond to natural watering, just looks like a new lawn as I left, green everywhere you look. Lots of chances for showers, dry periods happen all the time, the convective hot season stuff is a long ways away.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything the weekend trended wetter. Maybe not 4" of rain, but looks like some showers will be around as a WF tries to push in. Not only that, the longer term pattern is mostly heat fail with the chances of rain moving in at times with fronts moving in. 

Lol I just wrote that too, he wants it so bad. He is in the ultimate quandary, wants a drought, wants fire conditions yet wants a green lawn and high dews, What he will end up with is called normal, his worst enemy . No drama just normal.

Hopefully a lot of people in NNE CNY who plant tomatoes didn't fall for the faux summer conditions

..FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN ULSTER AND WESTERN GREENE COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS...WIDESPREAD FROST.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* TIMING...2 AM TO 8 AM THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD FROST WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO TENDER
VEGETATION THAT IS NOT PROTECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Well all I'm saying is it's very odd to have it this dry this time of year..and the overall pattern doesn't look wet at all thru the end of the month. The % of normal precip thru end of month is well below.. Someone saying .25 is a drought buster is either trolling or doesn't understand how we are entering convective/hot season..and that these things tend to feedback.

To see critical fire wx in place with everything fully foliated and leafed out..that seems to me to be a pretty rare occurrence for SNE

You really need to read up on drought in New England. Your posts tell me you are quite misinformed. It's one thing to have a dry period in spring but that doesn't make a drought. Just look at 2013...that "drought" was busted in a week. Red flag conditions aren't that strange. It's been abnormally dry for 3 weeks but that is nothing when comes to drought.

You want multi-seasonal precip deficits and usually spanning at least a year.

You really need to read up on drought in New England. Your posts tell me you are quite misinformed. It's one thing to have a dry period in spring but that doesn't make a drought. Just look at 2013...that "drought" was busted in a week. Red flag conditions aren't that strange. It's been abnormally dry for 3 weeks but that is nothing when comes to drought.

this is the groundwater chart for Mansfield Ct, as you can see, we are no where near anything resembling drought, dry soil as you know does not indicate drought. Yes it is a very dry period but as a whole, meh

Ok let's try this..

Over under .25 total rainfall this weekend for BDL/BOS. No caveats..no "it's convective"..no it's hit or miss nature

Who will take the over?

Well to pinpoint those areas is always tough, but I will say some areas certainly over.

i'm over 10" above normal annually in the past decade...lol

Green lawn weeds in yard, but still don't have 100% full leaf on trees yet.  I never usually put a date to that, but I am assuming that the lack of full leaf is later than usual for our area?

Will be interesting to see how the Adirondacks look Memorial Day weekend.

I'd say May 8-15 is normal for full leaf out, its got to be around 75-85% now, I know Moosup Center is fully leafed but the hills are not, same with Danielson but surrounding hills are not, a day or two more I'd say.

Really is the best air especially for people who have allergy histories, much better breathing air too. A win, low dew clean air is where its at.

Yeah, only exception is when the wildfires in Canada get going. We can get a lot of haze and even some low level smog that makes for pretty poor air quality in NNE. Had a few days like that in previous years, and the worst in 2010:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/events/31May2010/

But yeah in general its the cleanest/freshest wind direction.

Ok let's try this..

Over under .25 total rainfall this weekend for BDL/BOS. No caveats..no "it's convective"..no it's hit or miss nature..just a straight up over or under for both locations

Who will take the over?

I'm going to take the over.  Dry spell has to end sometime.   Timeframe 12:00am Sat to 11:59pm Sunday eve

Where do you get this stuff from? We're not even in a drought yet.

That spot is truly a New England gem.  Anyone that hasn't been, needs to go see Lake Willoughby.

Nice climb on the mountain to the east of it.  Been up there a couple of times.

Also when climbing or skiing Burke Mountain, its right there in the center of the horizon.

Depends where you are. I have daily records back to 2000 and have set no "dry" records yet during this current period, none. 60 day precipitation is more representative of a drought to me and currently the 60 day precip is 5.41" which isn't even in the ballpark for May's lowest in 15 years. I might set a new 30 day record low for precip if we get next to nothing for another 10 days.

I had 6.05" precip Feb-Apr, 2nd lowest in 17 yr for that period and 57% of avg.  The driest, 2006, had only 4.74" for FMA, but by 5/13 that year May had delivered 3.01" into my gauge compared to just 0.25" this month.

Expecting upper 20s at my place tomorrow morning.  Nothing is planted yet, and the new ash leaves should survive a 28-29 temp.  They didn't do so well in 2010 when May 11-13 had 22,26,25.  Neither did the oaks and even some maples got crisped, especially because the record warmth of Mar-Apr and 1st week of May had the new growth about 2 weeks ahead of avg.

I think its going to take some time up here.

Mid-40s in the valleys, breezy upslope flow...back to late March climo after a few days of July.  Its 40.3F  up at the office at 1,500ft haha.

attachicon.gifclouds.jpg

late March-esque for sure.

49.7. frost adv tonight with a side of fire wx warning. Frost adv prob not too unusual this time of year though I'm guessing.

Archived