joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it have any skill?

depends on who you ask    lol

since it comes out with a new forecast every month, it's prone to some major shifts

here's a link to the maps including forecasts back several years

when you check out forecasts from one month to the other, you'll see what I'm talking about

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frcgc/research/d1/iod/sintex_f1_forecast.html.en

depends on who you ask lol

since it comes out with a new forecast every month, it's prone to some major shifts

here's a link to the maps including forecasts back several years

when you check out forecasts from one month to the other, you'll see what I'm talking about

http://www.jamstec.go.jp/frcgc/research/d1/iod/sintex_f1_forecast.html.en

Or he could just look at the CFSv2 which changes hourly.

Depends on where you are. Only May out here was really above. The others have been less than 1.

It's been a torch inside the beltway..I need to get outta here.

I'm looking at real estate between Clarksburg and Damascus, and I've come away impressed. Amazing how much cheaper everything is out there. Exceedingly beautiful topography with better weather year-round.

I'm looking at real estate between Clarksburg and Damascus, and I've come away impressed. Amazing how much cheaper everything is out there. Exceedingly beautiful topography with better weather year-round.

If you want to escape the heat, you should move towards the Bay. Of course, if you do that, winters are non-existent and the lows are 6F warmer than inland.

But hey, it'll hit 94F instead of 97F during the day.

Somewhere near metro in Rockville would be perfect for me. Close enough to get into DC easily, but far enough away to (mostly) not get screwed during the winter.

Obviously up near MG or out with Jon would be best for snow, but it's too far out and bad for big heat.

I was thinking Rockville too, then I visited a friend out in Damascus and I was hooked. The town is basically situated on a broad ridge at 800-850ft, great views to the West, South, and East. I could see downtown Germantown, Gaithersburg, and Rockville from up there.

If you want to escape the heat, you should move towards the Bay. Of course, if you do that, winters are non-existent and the lows are 6F warmer than inland.

But hey, it'll hit 94F instead of 97F during the day.

Yeah if I'm gonna move to the bay it'll have to be up near your neck of the woods. I think Annapolis is worse than DC in a lot of respects.

It's probably not so bad at 500' ASL in Tysons...

Eh, as someone who grew up in the area and still lives here: The news crews always have someone reporting from Tysons during snowstorms, usually near a gas station. And it's usually a pretty dismal snow accumulation shot compared to the northwest suburb shot they choose. We do have storms here, of course, where longitude matters much more than latitude, and we have storms where southern suburbs get nailed more than northern. But, still, more cases than not see a combination of further north combined with further west winning out. 

It's a game of tradeoffs. I lived in Germantown from 00-03 and got to experience 02-03 there. It was an incredible winter but the tradeoff was my job was in downtown DC near the Capitol. The commute was awful. Nothing I could have done "forever". Not a chance.

So I bought a house in Rockville. But I ended up working in Mt Airy from 2004-10. Not only did I love the easy commute (no traffic ever) but I loved the weather in comparison to Rockville. 35 miles can make a huge difference. From leaves to snow to summer highs...it's a different world.

Now I work from home. If my kids weren't entrenched in the schools I would move to the general Mt airy area. But if my job was inside the Beltway I would never consider moving anywhere that requires sitting in gridlock for an hour+ every day. One nasty truth about daily traffic is there are no refunds.

Somewhere near metro in Rockville would be perfect for me. Close enough to get into DC easily, but far enough away to (mostly) not get screwed during the winter.

Obviously up near MG or out with Jon would be best for snow, but it's too far out and bad for big heat.

Jon from Davis WV? Bit of a difference between there and northern Baltimore County for snowfall...like 160" vs. 30" annual avg. ;)

I was out in Canaan Valley last month. I really liked it. Love to find a "modest" place out there.

Our elevation data from the recent survey shows Montgomery County's highest elevation is ~880 ft. ASL in Cedar Grove, about 1 mile southwest of Damascus.  The difference between upcounty and downcounty snowfall is incredible in the late fall and early spring.  During the pre-Thanksgiving snow last year, Damascus was just cracking warning-criteria snowfall while downcounty was just white rain.We're really happy LWX sub-divided the county into two separate zones because of the stark elevation contrast.

Jon from Davis WV? Bit of a difference between there and northern Baltimore County for snowfall...like 160" vs. 30" annual avg. ;)

I was out in Canaan Valley last month. I really liked it. Love to find a "modest" place out there.

You can find a modest place in Canaan Valley.  What you can't find is a modest HOA.  Some of the monthly fees are unbelievable.

You can find a modest place in Canaan Valley.  What you can't find is a modest HOA.  Some of the monthly fees are unbelievable.

I can imagine. I would be fine with a secluded little shack with a wood stove and a nice view.

With a moderate to strong Nino they may hit 300" out there, while here on the coastal plain, lots and lots of rain.

I can imagine. I would be fine with a secluded little shack with a wood stove and a nice view.

With a moderate to strong Nino they may hit 300" out there, while here on the coastal plain, lots and lots of rain.

I tried forever.  There's very little that isn't tied up in one of the developments.  There's one out there that have a monthly HOA of  $330.

I finally bought some land on the lake at Mt. Storm, about 15 miles from Davis.  3400 ft.

Archived