joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just moved to DC from Boston. After the winter we had last year, it's depressing thinking about what climo is for this area haha. I'd be satisfied with a near average snowfall, but from what I'm reading even that seems unlikely?

The "average" for this area tends to be misleading, especially inside the beltway. The "median" snowfall is going to be a more accurate measure of what to expect in an average year. The true average gets pulled up by years where we have incredible snowfalls, i.e. 02-03, 09-10, 13-14, 14-15.

We do see some pretty impressive stretches here from time to time. Certainly not like New England, but the right storm track and entrenched Canadian fronts can make this part of the country loook and feel much further North than it is. I work with a bunch of people from New York and Boston, they all complained this year about how they thought going this far South meant an easier winter.

Just take a look at this stretch from February starting around the 10th and going through the first week of March. Those were great times on this forum haha. It gets very active in here that time of year.

The "average" for this area tends to be misleading, especially inside the beltway. The "median" snowfall is going to be a more accurate measure of what to expect in an average year. The true average gets pulled up by years where we have incredible snowfalls, i.e. 02-03, 09-10, 12-13, 13-14.

We do see some pretty impressive stretches here from time to time. Certainly not like New England, but the right storm track and entrenched Canadian fronts can make this part of the country loook and feel much further North than it is. I work with a bunch of people from New York and Boston, they all complained this year about how they thought going this far South meant an easier winter.

Just take a look at this stretch from February starting around the 10th and going through the first week of March. Those were great times on this forum haha. It gets very active in here that time of year.

Aww, just tell him the truth that DC gives new meaning to disappointment if you're a snow lover.

Since the important features for winter wx won't be known until winter starts, there's no reason to not be a bit optimistic about knocking down 3 good ones in a row. We stole the first 2. May as well capitalize on a more traditional way to get a couple good storms this winter.

I'm not the least bit worried about a conus torch like 97-98 until it actually starts happening and it locked in.

I find the seasonal forecasts popping up kinda funny. Warm December and back loaded. Wet southern tier and east coast. Lol. Groundbreaking stuff.

I'm going normal to below temps and above normal snow in Dec just cuz nobody else is. Predicting the opposite is a good technique that has equal to possibly better chances at verifying than the herd's.

The "average" for this area tends to be misleading, especially inside the beltway. The "median" snowfall is going to be a more accurate measure of what to expect in an average year.  The true average gets pulled up by years where we have incredible snowfalls, i.e. 02-03, 09-10, 12-13, 13-14.  

We do see some pretty impressive stretches here from time to time. Certainly not like New England, but the right storm track and entrenched Canadian fronts can make this part of the country loook and feel much further North than it is.  I work with a bunch of people from New York and Boston, they all complained this year about how they thought going this far South meant an easier winter.

Just take a look at this stretch from February starting around the 10th and going through the first week of March.  Those were great times on this forum haha.  It gets very active in here that time of year. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely keep my expectations down then haha.  I'm sure we'll get a decent stretch at some point this winter. 

Just moved to DC from Boston. After the winter we had last year, it's depressing thinking about what climo is for this area haha. I'd be satisfied with a near average snowfall, but from what I'm reading even that seems unlikely?

Expect unmitigated failure. The last good winter was 09-10 and we have been paying for that ever since. DC region is not a snow town unless you're NW of US-15.

Expect unmitigated failure. The last good winter was 09-10 and we have been paying for that ever since. DC region is not a snow town unless you're NW of US-15.

Wow, tell us how you really feel... I'VE enjoyed the last two winters quite a bit. This year's was a little late and backloaded, but that was an incredibly impressive stretch Feb into March. 13-14 I was still in Harrisonburg for which was a lot of fun. Got womped by that surprise St. Patty's Day storm with 9 inches in the Northern part of the valley. Cutoff was brutal for that storm though, South of 64 saw almost all rain.

I had 83" of snow in 13/14, 46" last winter, and I am east of US 15.  How is that not a good winter.

I am waaaaay east of there, and I had significantly above avg snow the past 2 winters. DC proper and immediate burbs may be a wretched snow hole in recent years, but that does not translate to other areas that are generally on the same lat or lon.

I had to estimate August's # because it's not out yet and the daily numbers for the month haven't been posted on CPC's site yet. But for the exercise, the estimate is close enough. 

Makes a case for higher chances of the AO cooperating this winter. 2011 and 2014 don't do us any favors but it hardly matters considering the really small data set and also the fact that July and August AO readings may mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme irt winter. But it's fun to look at either way. 

post-2035-0-02446500-1441122125_thumb.jp

I had to estimate August's # because it's not out yet and the daily numbers for the month haven't been posted on CPC's site yet. But for the exercise, the estimate is close enough. 

Makes a case for higher chances of the AO cooperating this winter. 2011 and 2014 don't do us any favors but it hardly matters considering the really small data set and also the fact that July and August AO readings may mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme irt winter. But it's fun to look at either way. 

attachicon.gifJA AO.JPG

Love these posts. Thanks for posting.

My winter outlook. December will be warm with normal precip. Terps basketball will go undefeated in December as well. January will start warm but end up with seasonal temps with normal precip. Feburary will be up and down temps wise with below normal precip. March will be way above normal with normal precip. For the lower eastern shore I'm calling for a total, this winter, of less than 6". Please keep in mind that my climate is a worlds away from you guys across the bay. Now for the biggest call of them all. TERPS National Champs which will make this upcoming sucky winter worth while :)

My winter outlook. December will be warm with normal precip. Terps basketball will go undefeated in December as well. January will start warm but end up with seasonal temps with normal precip. Feburary will be up and down temps wise with below normal precip. March will be way above normal with normal precip. For the lower eastern shore I'm calling for a total, this winter, of less than 6". Please keep in mind that my climate is a worlds away from you guys across the bay. Now for the biggest call of them all. TERPS National Champs which will make this upcoming sucky winter worth while :)

Winter 2001/2002 was awful but it brought a championship

Winter 2001/2002 was awful but it brought a championship

I will take only one dusting all winter if that means a national championship. Fear the turtle. 

Archived