• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

After dying off during may-june, +PDO is rockin again. Hasn't been negative since Dec 2013. Has the regime flipped +? Tough to say but we've certainly been on a + heater for a while. Hope it holds.

[ian][mark][me] How about no... [/ian][/mark][/me]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitch, if we whiff Dec-Jan waiting for Feb promised land there will be no sanity anywhere to be found. Well, except for 87storms and mattie G. I might have to put them on ignore if it goes down like that. LOL

OTOH- I'm kinda in big storm chase mode now. I've had my fill of small/mod events + extended cold the last 2 winters.

Bob should be banned for that last sentence

OT, but I saw that Anchorage, AK got less snow than I did this season. I'll pay dearly for that someday.

Or maybe they're paying for 2011-12, when they got well over 100" in a record breaking season.... and we all know what happened our way

Or maybe they're paying for 2011-12, when they got well over 100" in a record breaking season.... and we all know what happened our way

That was just a bad luck winter. Pure and simple. It figures the whole continental U.S. would experience heavy snow totals and we're in a little hole all to ourselves. It was payback for the 9/10

That was just a bad luck winter. Pure and simple. It figures the whole continental U.S. would experience heavy snow totals and we're in a little hole all to ourselves. It was payback for the 9/10

I recall much of the lower 48 being very warm, while Alaska had epic snow totals.

Nino keeps getting stronger. And unlike 97, it's basin wide vs east based. I'm jaded with lr Nino disco because it's been a real biotch trying to figure out the last few years but recent trends towards a real deal big event make you ponder the possibility.

CFS2 say it's warm throughout but warmest is centered in ENSO3-4. This is 1&2 prediction from the CFS2:

nino12Mon.gif

I'm with you on it being a biotch to predict. But I think at this point it's fair to assume a strong NINO. As long as it's not centered in 1+2 like 97/98 was, I'll hold out hope. Today's SSTA map off the CFS2 is not all that bad looking at both PDO and centering of ENSO warmth, though I'd feel a whole lot better if the NINO was centered closer to the dateline.

glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

Mitch, I agree. Looks like a strong event has become likely. The config and when the peak happens will just have to play out. Things look favorable for regions 3-4 to get a boost over the next month. +PDO is rockin again after fading a bit but that region is too volatile to think too far ahead.

As ORH said, the natl could be a thorn for blocking but we just won't know anything. The short story is I'll gladly take my chances with a basin wide nino with a stout +pdo and just let the chips fall. I want big storms period. If we suck with temps then so be it. If we have east based with dominant +ao/nao I'll just pull the curtains down and watch TV.

Mitch, I agree. Looks like a strong event has become likely. The config and when the peak happens will just have to play out. Things look favorable for regions 3-4 to get a boost over the next month. +PDO is rockin again after fading a bit but that region is too volatile to think too far ahead.

As ORH said, the natl could be a thorn for blocking but we just won't know anything. The short story is I'll gladly take my chances with a basin wide nino with a stout +pdo and just let the chips fall. I want big storms period. If we suck with temps then so be it. If we have east based with dominant +ao/nao I'll just pull the curtains down and watch TV.

yeah...it may end up being a year when 45 minute trips to my west will be necessary to satisfy all of my snow desires, but it should be active/wet, which will keep things "regularly" interesting if nothing else

It just goes to show how much the "after" of 2/13/14 sucked that a 16" event for Rockville gets lumped into the "moderate" category in our memories.

It was a great storm if you stayed up all night (I did). But the sleet to rain/drizzle and drip drip drip shortly after sunrise the following day flawed the event for many. The disjointed surface/ull caused too much of a gap and the ull didn't produce for a lot of folks. Not saying it wasn't a great storm because it was. But the progression wasn't the best. This radar shot isn't a classic miller A.

2.13_2018.gif

Much better when you quickly cover the sleet/drizzle with the trailing ull. However, I won't discount how favorable the storm was for our latitude.

The funny thing is if the storm occured just 6 hours later in time it would have been but high on the list by the majority here but waking up to heavy sleet and potatoes doesn't have the "pretty storm" factor. lol

We haven't had a "normal" miller A since 2010.

It was a great storm if you stayed up all night (I did). But the sleet to rain/drizzle and drip drip drip shortly after sunrise the following day flawed the event for many. The disjointed surface/ull caused too much of a gap and the ull didn't produce for a lot of folks. Not saying it wasn't a great storm because it was. But the progression wasn't the best. This radar shot isn't a classic miller A.

2.13_2018.gif

Much better when you quickly cover the sleet/drizzle with the trailing ull. However, I won't discount how favorable the storm was for our latitude.

The funny thing is if the storm occured just 6 hours later in time it would have been but high on the list by the majority here but waking up to heavy sleet and potatoes doesn't have the "pretty storm" factor. lol

Bang on the money, Bob.

I stayed up for this one.  The overnight rates were insane, but once the dripping started and the drizzle/mist stuck around for hours on end, it really soured the whole storm for me.  The ULL barely did anything IMBY, so that just added to the letdown that I felt during the day.

Yup, I ranked this one as behind 3/5/15 for my location even though the snow total was double, but I'm always a sucker for impact as the most important criteria. 

Archived