• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

Means nothing at this point, but I'd say +AO, +NAO, +PDO, Mod - Strong Nino, Slightly above average temps, Snow between median and normal

For DCA

DEC: +1

January: +3

February: Normal

DCA Snow - 14"

Analogs, 1905-06, 1914-15, 1982-83

You are a brave and ballsy man putting out winter forecasts in April.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is strong nina, +AO, +NAO, -PDO, +EPO, +WPO, and record-breaking October Siberian snow-cover.

Dec: +5

Jan: +6

Feb: +7

Snowfall:  Try again in 2016 - '17.

Analogs:  '97 - '98 combined with '11 - '12

Don't think we have a -PDO next winter, but I think a winter with some shades of 97-98 is possible with increasing chances of a strong Nino (and maybe east-based).  Probably an overall warm winter, but I could see us getting 1 KU that drops 75%+ of the winter's total snowfall.  Jonjon will probably be buried.  

we all know the long range ENSO models and predictions aren't that great, but since they all seem to be going for a mod or warmer NINO, it's hard to think they could all be wrong

right now, that max credible range of the models per the link I posted is September, which obviously still leaves many months before winter arrives

frankly, idk what to think (something between 97/98 and 09/10 would be my range right now I suppose   lol) until we get into August and have a better idea of the strength and location of the warmest temps

It's meaningless right now but the stout +pdo has taken a fairly big beating the last couple months. We won't know much on that front for half a year at least. 

ENSO is no doubt on the move lately. But again, we've been down this road before at long leads. If it collapsed to neg neutral by Dec I wouldn't bat an eye 

anomnight.4.20.2015.gif

My guess is strong nina, +AO, +NAO, -PDO, +EPO, +WPO, and record-breaking October Siberian snow-cover.

Dec: +5

Jan: +6

Feb: +7

Snowfall: Try again in 2016 - '17.

Analogs: '97 - '98 combined with '11 - '12

I hope you're right for no other reason than to read your posts.

I wouldn't necessarily like it, but it would be funny to hope for a Nino like most here have and then get a 97-98 repeat. This forum would be a fun place to be.

I'm unusually disinterested in the upcoming winter. We had back to back cold and snowy ones. Lots to track. The only dud month last winter was December. The stretch from valentines onward was wild.

If we go warm next winter with even just one sizeable event and a couple typical small ones scattered around, I don't think there will be too much complaining. Nothing like the boiling point reached during 12-13.

I'm unusually disinterested in the upcoming winter. We had back to back cold and snowy ones. Lots to track. The only dud month last winter was December. The stretch from valentines onward was wild.

If we go warm next winter with even just one sizeable event and a couple typical small ones scattered around, I don't think there will be too much complaining. Nothing like the boiling point reached during 12-13.

going warm will be putting it lightly Bob if this CFS2 forecast is close with its current prediction      lol

fortunately, it often over does NINAs and NINOs at this range

nino34Mon.gif

I had more snow in 12-13 than I did this past winter. Of course, a third of it came from a crap 11" storm in March.

I had more snow in 12-13 than I did this past winter. Of course, a third of it came from a crap 11" storm in March.

Last three years for my backyard:

11"

50"

24"

I was in a small screw zone last winter, so I don't have nearly as far to fall next year as most others around here.  And I have a much bigger upside.

IF Nino does dun' blow up, then we may be in for a wet ride unless we somehow get the PDO to help us again.  Wouldn't bother me, to be honest, especially if that means the rest of the East Coast goes the same way.  The cold of the last two winters has gotten under my skin.

Lol people are so melodramatic on here. I think 6 months or so is plenty of break.

For me, a break would be a couple month of cool/cold.  We've had five months of it the last couple years, and by the end of the winter the chill starts to get really old.

I personally prefer the seasons during which stuff lives and grows.  Call me crazy...

For me, a break would be a couple month of cool/cold. We've had five months of it the last couple years, and by the end of the winter the chill starts to get really old.

I personally prefer the seasons during which stuff lives and grows. Call me crazy...

You're crazy. But not because of liking warm weather.

Assuming this really will be a substantial El Nino, one group of analogs to consider is the 2nd year strong El Nino peak group of 1877-8, 1888-9, 1896-7, 1905-6, 1940-1 and 1987-8.

The website that I use to get temp./precip. anomalies only goes back to 1895. So, I can only include 1896-7, 1905-6, 1940-1, and 1987-8 in this part of the analysis. If you want to include the other two, you will need to get those from another source. If you want to get snowfall for these six periods (say, Nov-Mar), you will have to look it up somewhere.

The bottom line is that the chances of a third really cold winter in a row are far lower than they would have been with a 2nd year weakish Nino. So, if JB actually officially goes with a 3rd very cold winter in a row, the chances are that he'll bust the way it looks as of now imo.

Here's what the maps show in aggregate for DJF for the latter four winters:

Temp's: at DC near normal (all four were pretty close to normal):

post-882-0-49446800-1431459471_thumb.png

Precip.: at DC near to slightly below normal (three near normal; one below norm):

post-882-0-34500000-1431459487_thumb.png

Archived