Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob,

Do you (or does anyone else) have the DC snowfall for 1877-8, 1888-9, 1896-7, 1905-6, 1940-1, and 1987-8 including the nonwinter months?

Yep, but not 1877-88

1888-9: 12.5

1896-7: 16.2

1905-6: 25.7

1940-1: 17.9

1987-8: 25.0

87-88 is deceiving. We had an absolute freak storm on Veterans Day in Nov. Dropped 11.5 in DC and more in the eastern suburbs. Take that storm out and the year was sub par.

Overall not a very encouraging set of years.

Yep, but not 1877-88

1888-9: 12.5

1896-7: 16.2

1905-6: 25.7

1940-1: 17.9

1987-8: 25.0

87-88 is deceiving. We had an absolute freak storm on Veterans Day in Nov. Dropped 11.5 in DC and more in the eastern suburbs. Take that storm out and the year was sub par.

Overall not a very encouraging set of years.

Bob,

Thanks. These DCA amounts averaged 19.5". Isn't that a bit above the 30 year mean and well above the 30 year median? I thought that the mean was near 16" and the median near 12-13". Also, there were no really bad ones. All five were near the median or higher.

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/20903-dca-30-yr-median-snowfall/

In contrast, NYC had 4 of 6 well below its median and the average of the 6 was well below its mean at only 24.4" and was near 27" for the most recent 5.

Bob,

Thanks. These DCA amounts averaged 19.5". Isn't that a bit above the 30 year mean and well above the 30 year median? I thought that the mean was near 16" and the median near 12-13". Also, there were no really bad ones. All five were near the median or higher.

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/20903-dca-30-yr-median-snowfall/

In contrast, NYC had 4 of 6 well below its median and the average of the 6 was well below its mean at only 24.4" and was near 27" for the most recent 5.

idk, the last 2 years sure maxed out on cold so until we get a warm winter to break the streak, I'm not going to worry about analogs going against us (assuming they are against us)

idk, the last 2 years sure maxed out on cold so until we get a warm winter to break the streak, I'm not going to worry about analogs going against us (assuming they are against us)

Mitch,

Well, as mentioned, they really aren't against you with regard to snow based on the DCA snow stats provided by Bob. Regarding the cold, these years suggest near normal rather than warm. So, a mild, relatively snowless winter would seemingly be unlikely based on these years. A near normal temperaturewise winter with near median to somewhat above average snowfall would seemingly be favored IMO.

JB's early feeling is for another quite cold eastern US winter. Whereas I agreed with his cold forecast for last winter and he did well, my initial thoughts are that he's setting himself up for a likely fail for 2015-6 based on what El Niño is doing. A +PDO with a strong Niño usually doesn't result in a widespread cold E US winter like 2014-5. 2009-10 is a rarity and it was helped greatly by a record breaking -AO.

Mitch,

Well, as mentioned, they really aren't against you with regard to snow based on the DCA snow stats provided by Bob. Regarding the cold, these years suggest near normal rather than warm. So, a mild, relatively snowless winter would seemingly be unlikely based on these years. A near normal temperaturewise winter with near median to somewhat above average snowfall would seemingly be favored IMO.

JB's early feeling is for another quite cold eastern US winter. Whereas I agreed with his cold forecast for last winter and he did well, my initial thoughts are that he's setting himself up for a likely fail for 2015-6 based on what El Niño is doing. A +PDO with a strong Niño usually doesn't result in a widespread cold E US winter like 2014-5. 2009-10 is a rarity and it was helped greatly by a record breaking -AO.

Will be interesting to see how this Nino turns out by September/October.

Mitch,

One thing about the set of analogs you have is that they are so old and the dc measuring location was in a more favorable spot compared to the micro-furnace it's in now. I'm not a big fan of old analogs (pre 1950) because we're in a different background state and live in an area that is almost always sitting on a razor thin margin of error (you can relate down your way lol).

OTOH- who really knows? Analogs are only so useful and often even when temps and/or snow seems similar, we got there a different way. ENSO forecasting has been horrific at long leads since 10-11. Although I will say a warm enso event seems more likely than a neutral one at this point. How warm is a tough thing to figure out until we are past the spring barrier and well into summer. And even then...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm hoping for an above average winter in terms of temps, more sun, and less wind than the previous 2 winters, with 1 big snowstorm thrown in.

Absolutely not. I want BWI to break its all-time coldest temp and record skin-burning wind chills while feet of snow pile up November through April. I want there to be days and days of sub-freezing temps, Bay ice thick enough to drive over, and snow depths reaching uncharted territory.

100"+ or bust.

Archived