joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The burning question for this winter that can't be answered until game time is the dominant state of the ao/nao. The NAO has been on a + heater since Feb 2011. We can't afford for that to continue in a mod or possibly strong nino. History isn't too kind there. Look up the analogs at your own risk.

The burning question for this winter that can't be answered until game time is the dominant state of the ao/nao. The NAO has been on a + heater since Feb 2011. We can't afford for that to continue in a mod or possibly strong nino. History isn't too kind there. Look up the analogs at your own risk.

Don't worry about the ao/nao. Projections for October Siberian snow cover are looking good.

;)

MDstorm

Absolutely not. I want BWI to break its all-time coldest temp and record skin-burning wind chills while feet of snow pile up November through April. I want there to be days and days of sub-freezing temps, Bay ice thick enough to drive over, and snow depths reaching uncharted territory.

100"+ or bust.

i have a tendency to talk some ***t about winter, but i love a good snow  i also like that we were able to have an old school cold winter the last 2 seasons.  my issue was that they were just too long.  both seasons were steady chilly from roughly november through march.  very few breaks.  in my opinion, they were the longest winters i can recall here, at least if you combine them.  i think i like my winters more condensed than that.  give me a mild nov/dec/march, and let it be winter jan/feb.  that's all i need.  it can snow on xmas, though.

i have a tendency to talk some ***t about winter, but i love a good snow i also like that we were able to have an old school cold winter the last 2 seasons. my issue was that they were just too long. both seasons were steady chilly from roughly november through march. very few breaks. in my opinion, they were the longest winters i can recall here, at least if you combine them. i think i like my winters more condensed than that. give me a mild nov/dec/march, and let it be winter jan/feb. that's all i need. it can snow on xmas, though.

You're in my head.

that's why winters like 82/83 maintain sanity with this weenie at this point in the game

pretty positive NAO through the winter with one brief, weak -NAO in early FEB, but December delivered with a 6-8" surprise and then, of course, the 83 Megalopolis storm thanks to the brief, weak -NAO

that's why winters like 82/83 maintain sanity with this weenie at this point in the game

pretty positive NAO through the winter with one brief, weak -NAO in early FEB, but December delivered with a 6-8" surprise and then, of course, the 83 Megalopolis storm thanks to the brief, weak -NAO

Mitch, if we whiff Dec-Jan waiting for Feb promised land there will be no sanity anywhere to be found. Well, except for 87storms and mattie G. I might have to put them on ignore if it goes down like that. LOL

OTOH- I'm kinda in big storm chase mode now. I've had my fill of small/mod events + extended cold the last 2 winters.

Mitch, if we whiff Dec-Jan waiting for Feb promised land there will be no sanity anywhere to be found. Well, except for 87storms and mattie G. I might have to put them on ignore if it goes down like that. LOL

OTOH- I'm kinda in big storm chase mode now. I've had my fill of small/mod events + extended cold the last 2 winters.

when I referred to "my sanity", I was using the phrase loosely    lol

I too would love to see a big one, and the strength of the coming NINO at least increases our chances for that, but I won't toss out anything greater than an inch if it's all we can muster

my bigger concern is that the chances of snow will likely be greatly diminished from the past 2 years, which will make for a long, boring insanity, the worst kind in my feeble mind

That pretty much happened this past winter, and, thankfully, February delivered.

After dying off during may-june, +PDO is rockin again. Hasn't been negative since Dec 2013. Has the regime flipped +? Tough to say but we've certainly been on a + heater for a while. Hope it holds. A robust +pdo could help offset potential negative effects *IF* we go mod/strong or east based. 

anomnight.7.2.2015.gif

After dying off during may-june, +PDO is rockin again. Hasn't been negative since Dec 2013. Has the regime flipped +? Tough to say but we've certainly been on a + heater for a while. Hope it holds. A robust +pdo could help offset potential negative effects *IF* we go mod/strong or east based. 

The very cold N Atlantic cold pool that has been developing since spring 2013 doesn't give high hopes for a -NAO. Hopefully it doesn't end up inhibiting too much, but there is definitely a bit of headwind with that sitting there.

But on the flipside, the very warm GOA gives us a tailwind for a +PNA/-EPO

The very cold N Atlantic cold pool that has been developing since spring 2013 doesn't give high hopes for a -NAO. Hopefully it doesn't end up inhibiting too much, but there is definitely a bit of headwind with that sitting there.

and where the seasonal boundary between the warm and cold sets up due to those opposing forces is anyone's guess at this point

but south of you is probably a good guess....congrats again lucky bastid!

I still say Worcester is the best snow town in the east, hands down

Quite the switch on the dominant nao state we saw years prior to 2013. It's been a stubborn bastard and we need it negative during a nino a lot more than you guys. 

The pac saved us 2 years in a row down here. Attempting to overcome another +nao winter is probably too much to ask for our region. Long way to go before getting hung up on that stuff. Or hung up on anything really. 

First call for seasonal snow:

RIC: 0.0"

DCA: -2.1"

IAD: 4.2"

BWI: 3.9"

Lowest temps:

RIC: 28F

DCA: 31.9F

IAD: 15F because it's IAD

BWI: 26F

The above lows will most likely occur in a record-breaking October cold outbreak.

I often wondered how DC would fair if they treated snowfall reports like employment reports with their revisions of prior months

I think you nailed it

Quite the switch on the dominant nao state we saw years prior to 2013. It's been a stubborn bastard and we need it negative during a nino a lot more than you guys.

The pac saved us 2 years in a row down here. Attempting to overcome another +nao winter is probably too much to ask for our region. Long way to go before getting hung up on that stuff. Or hung up on anything really.

Not just you guys, anyone south of about central New England is in trouble if there is another +NAO/+AO winter along with a strong or super El Niño, especially if it's east-based. The flip to a severely negative AMO does not give much hope for Greenland blocking this winter. I'm not sure even a +PDO/-EPO/+PNA would help if there is a very strong Nino in place. I would think ENSO would be so overwhelming with a roaring subtropical jet, that it would just override the PNA and EPO blocking in the west. Region 3.4 just passed the strong threshold of +1.5C this week

lol

well basically you are chasing what i am as well which is a big storm.  i really don't care for a long winter this time around.  like i've said before, if i wanted that i'd move to boston.  i like that we're predominantly mild here.

blizzard or bust.

Archived