Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, met question: Harrisburg never sounded sirens despite the TOR warning.

The mayor told abc27 they didn't because there was no touchdown. Can I get some help making this a big deal? That's a TERIBBLE "policy."

When I lived in Nebraska, sirens would sound even if there was rotation and no touchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mayor told abc27 they didn't because there was no touchdown. Can I get some help making this a big deal? That's a TERIBBLE "policy."

This is an incredibly poor policy; I cannot imagine what emergency manager would ever advise local government authorities to do such a thing. Perhaps I will write a letter

I cant really tell from the radar Im seeing but looks like there might be another line that could impact harrisburg/camp hill area in a bit

EDIT: Yea, the line that just smacked Shippensburg looks to be beelining straight for Camp Hill/harrisburg on Radarscope

Here in Adams County, as soon as a tor warning is issued, all fire dept sirens are activated. Instead of a cycle up and down, the siren pins up and holds for several minutes. The only flaw is with the current system there is no way to isolate different areas or towns.

RE:  Sirens 

They are outdated civil defense era technology...completely useless in modern society.  

Looking at radar as of 9:30 pm this event is over...the complex just west of Gettysburg is gusting out as temperatures fall and atmosphere loses its instability.  

The severe weather fan in me would've liked to see this setup today unfold about a month or so from now (Or conversely, good thing this set up didn't unfold a month or so from now). I would wager CAPE was/is a limiting factor from having an outright tornado outbreak and excessive damaging hail.

WInd shear was pretty sizable (Bulk shear 30-50kts) statewide and storm relative helicity (SRH) was quite high as well (area of 200-300 m2s2).. helping lend to the widespread hail reports that we did have. Highest diameter i've seen on the CTP LSR was 1.5" with generally alot of 1.0" amounts. Best CAPE was in the southern tier and only generally in the 500 -1000 range. Good SRH + meh CAPE = marginal EHI values, thus...I felt the tornado threat was a bit compromised and relegated to weaker spinups. Better daytime heating and solid CAPEs would've really sent this outbreak into high gear. 

IPT FORECAST: Thursday

A slight chance of snow before 10am, then a chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 47. West wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Was down to the Harrisburg airport this morning, see a tractor trailer rolled on 322 west.

That was an awesome lightining display last night. Picked up over an inch of rain.

I had to take my DOT mandated 30 mnute break just outside Tamaqua today right at the time of FROPA. When I pulled in and parked it was 60 degrees. A half hour later it was 43. When I got back to the plant I run out of up in Hazleton, it was down to 39.

Now that the rain stopped and the sun came out for a bit, it warmed back up a little.

Archived