Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is your focus today?

Focusing along the frontal boundary in SPA. Eastern York and Lancaster counties down to the line seem to be a great spot for all the necessary parameters for thunderstorm development. My question is whether we could hatch out a few discrete cells in the warm sector along the frontal boundary. Looks like a linear development is likely, but the Hodograph off Bufkit on the 12z NAM for KLNS has a weak signature for supercell type structures with the bending back of the 0-6km.

Focusing along the frontal boundary in SPA. Eastern York and Lancaster counties down to the line seem to be a great spot for all the necessary parameters for thunderstorm development. My question is whether we could hatch out a few discrete cells in the warm sector along the frontal boundary. Looks like a linear development is likely, but the Hodograph off Bufkit on the 12z NAM for KLNS has a weak signature for supercell type structures with the bending back of the 0-6km.

I agree, the further S and E you can get the better. I think MDT is probably a hair too N and W for supercell development. 

Quiet for now, but storms starting to ramp up in WPA a bit. Should be sometime around 5-6pm they'll start making impact of they form.

got it thanks

That's a crazy story Canderson. That's the unfortunate nature of severe weather.

Group of us Millersville students going chasing right now as we speak. Hopefully we get some great pictures, but we are definitely not core punching anything. No need in our cars getting damaged.

I just text my daughter and told her to pay attention.

yeah, but watch a storm run along the Mountain. Every couple years North East Cumberland County gets smacked around 

Remember that crazy one in spring 2010 that took out all the trees along Front St in Harrisburg? That was a mountain runner, iirc it went on to spin up a tornado in Halifax. 

Well good luck. I'd be up for chasing anything out this way

Thought the storms to our west were going to skirt by to our NW until they reblossomed over Blair County. Verified warning hail with it (~ 1.00" diameter). Haven't seen a good hail storm in awhile.

attachicon.gif11164791_10108550712320854_717956795365910438_n.jpg

Unbelievable hail storm. It looks like snow. Now its pouring the sun is out.  This is crazy. 

Heads up State College folks, that lead cell has estimated 2.51" hail with it on the latest scan. Also some semblance of a rotation couplet at times but hail threat is definetely serious with that storm.

attachicon.gif2015-04-20_1919.png

Hailing again here in Altoona.  Streets are flooded because the hail is blocking the drains. My dead street looks like a river.  Ive never seen hail like this

Archived