Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom dropped out in Bellefonte last evening, it was down to 14 degrees by midnight. Leveled off most of the night but did manage to drop to 10 degrees just before sunrise. Brutal.

Three days away from April and you almost made it to single digits. Unreal. Meanwhile, out in Denver, CO...

TEMPERATURE (F) YESTERDAY  MAXIMUM  79      MINIMUM  46

It's starting to look like Thursday could be a real nice day here in central PA, ahead of the cold front and associated rain. 850 mb temperatures should climb from 5-10C through the day. At the moment, it looks like it will become increasingly cloudy during the day, so we may only reach the low-mid 60sF up here. Areas around MDT and southeast will probably have the best shot of hitting 70F.

Any idea what March coldness will rank for MDT? Top 5 by chance?

Through the 29th March 2015 on average is 9th coldest March for Harrisburg on record.  That may slide a little if highs get into the 50s both today and tomorrow with lows only in the 30s.  More impressive is no matter what temperatures reach for high and low today and tomorrow the first quarter of 2015 should close out as 2nd coldest on record, with only 1904 colder. 

6z GFS has us getting 2 more chances of snow this week.

It shows a Wednesday clipper bringing a couple of inches.

Then it has a storm passing to our south next Saturday that brings us

a few more inches. We didn't have a white Christmas this year... Maybe

a white Easter is coming up next week?

great........... 

Crazy how in northern York I got little over 50 inches. Southern York got in mix while i was lucky to stay mostly snow. For example I got 8.5 and mdt recorded what 3.5 crazy the gradient this year. I had three 5 inch storms and Nickel and dimed the rest many 2 and 3 inch storms. All started right at thanksgiving. Guess it's not that crazy different if mdt has 40 on the year I got 50.1.

CTP seems to be bumping up snow amounts in the Harrisburg area.

I just entered in local zip codes of 17053(Marysville) and 17110( 2 miles North of Harrisburg) and their "detailed forecast" said 1-3 inches.

Yup. Earlier mine said less than one inch tomorrow and less than a half inch tomorrow night. Now it says...

Tuesday

Rain and snow. High near 37. West wind around 7 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Rain and snow likely before 8pm, then a chance of snow between 8pm and 2am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 26. North wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Yup. Earlier mine said less than one inch tomorrow and less than a half inch tomorrow night. Now it says...

Tuesday

Rain and snow. High near 37. West wind around 7 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Rain and snow likely before 8pm, then a chance of snow between 8pm and 2am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 26. North wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

That's too funny MDT has 1-3" Rain and Snow mix how does that accumulate? 

Bellefonte...

Tuesday

Rain and snow, mainly before 5pm. High near 40. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.  :o 

I doubt that, but this will be a surprise for many in the area!

Archived