Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, Looking at the para Euro from last night, it looks like an almost full capture of the northern branch.  Will be interesting to see what the Doc says in a bit.  While times running out....seeing the 93' maps and somewhat similar look from last night just gives me goosebumps.  If its over....its over, but id take a 93' redux any day of the year.

Nut

Where can you find the para Euro?

Unfortunately, there's still more than 24 hours to go until the first flakes.  That means many more updates to the snowfall map.  I would say that I don't think it's likely that the 4-6" range will be raised any further.  In fact, I am expecting that zone to probably go lower now (not a scientific observation but rather just intuition).  For once I am in the max range of accumulations>> 4-6".  It feels weird to be inside that zone, at least until I wake up in the morning.

If Saturday's temperature forecasts are correct, 50 degrees with increasingly stronger sun should melt away a significant portion of whatever we get.  So, my advice to the 'haters' would be...don't look out the window from Friday morning until Saturday afternoon and you'll barely even know we had a storm. 

LOLLLLLL

Can we all please stop with the posts complaining about what others post already, whether it is pro-cold or pro-warm?  It is honestly getting rather annoying to try and get caught up with posts every few days and it seeming like there is at least one post complaining about something someone else said.  There are no rules as to if the thread has to be all about the cold or all about the warmth.  We all come from various backgrounds here and I know some come on here just to read and see what forecasts are looking like since their daily jobs are significantly impacted by the weather.  After the way we have seen long duration significant cold stretches the past two winters, there is nothing wrong with wanting some warmer days mixed in along with the snowstorms since that is what does happen here around PA nearly every winter.  I know on my end the electric bill hasn't been pretty so yea I want an occasional break from the cold too.  Sorry but I just felt something needed to be said before we have more people leave or stop posting in this great group.

Ill just say one last thing and drop it.  I agree that after a brutally cold Feb I too enjoy the warmer days. Fifties after ten feels like seventy and its nice but if we can sneak a nice 6" snow in every now and then until middle of April me and few others on here will take it.  Like Nut said we have 6 solid months of nice weather coming. A little snow that will quickly melt at this point gives us outdoor winter sportsmen a chance to enjoy one last fling in the snow.  I certainly dont begrudge anyone for liking nice weather and being sick of the cold. If we get a nice heavy snow tomorrow it will probably be gone by Sunday. Works for me but gives us a chance to get the snowmobile out or do a little skiing one last time.

Where can you find the para Euro?

Saw it in the MA forum.  Sounds like April go time..but dont know much else.

Was drawn back in for next week, but I'm back out.  Thanks for all the great analysis for those that offer it.    Been fun tracking even if only for 2 months.  

Have a great summer all.. 

Nut

Saw it in the MA forum.  Sounds like April go time..but dont know much else.

Was drawn back in for next week, but I'm back out.  Thanks for all the great analysis for those that offer it.    Been fun tracking even if only for 2 months.  

Have a great summer all.. 

Nut

see ya in October 

I guess the good thing for ones who don't want any more snow is that whatever we get tomorrow is probably not going to last on the ground very long. Temps recovering to near 50 or so on Saturday will likely deplete a good portion (or perhaps all) of the new snow that falls tomorrow. But in the meantime, tomorrow is shaping up to be quite a wintry first day of spring...such is how March life goes. I'm personally hoping for a good stat padding storm since we got the opportunity. 

I guess the good thing for ones who don't want any more snow is that whatever we get tomorrow is probably not going to last on the ground very long. Temps recovering to near 50 or so on Saturday will likely deplete a good portion (or perhaps all) of the new snow that falls tomorrow. But in the meantime, tomorrow is shaping up to be quite a wintry first day of spring...such is how March life goes. I'm personally hoping for a good stat padding storm since we got the opportunity. 

Yeah I'm looking forward to some warmth soon, but always enjoy a spring snow storm...should get us a little closer to last year's total, and make this March much more bearable than last year's abomination. 

You're in a good spot there.  How much for Blue Knob? 10"?

Looks like potential hints of a rebound at least back to average for this time of year next week...

Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

i was thinking the same thing......I think we have to give a shout out to Blizzard, didn't he call this last week??

to me it looks like more qbf .57 compared to yesterday i think was like .44, but it does look a tad warmer too

Thanks for the kind words Saus!

We should surpass the 1 foot mark for March

at MDT after this event, which is the first time in

many years that has happened. The pattern might even have another winter event yet to go for next weekend, so we might not be done yet after tomorrow.

Yeah I'm looking forward to some warmth soon, but always enjoy a spring snow storm...should get us a little closer to last year's total, and make this March much more bearable than last year's abomination. 

You're in a good spot there.  How much for Blue Knob? 10"?

I think 7 or 8" should be the ceiling for this but I wouldn't be overly surprised if an isolated spot snuck an amount like that, and if it was going to be anywhere it'd be that location since it's over 3,100' at the lodge on the top of the mountain. It'll be interesting to see if it works some overachieving magic and get around the 6" mark around here. 6.2" and 5.8" were my two largest snowfalls this winter. RAP seems to be supporting CTP's amounts positioning with the warning totals in Bedford/Fulton counties. 

HRRR and RAP are looking pretty solid for the onset of this during the predawn hours in the central counties. A fast start to this will likely make for a highly impacted morning commute. I would look for roads to quickly improve in the afternoon hours with the stronger sun.. not to mention I'm pretty sure PennDot dumped the rest of their salt brine supply on the highways around here today. Later onset time further east in the Sus Valley might help a bit with the roads, but if it's snowing hard.. the sun won't matter too much til it slows down. 

Its 37 at 2:30am...the temps better start dropping if we're gonna see all snow

We should be okay, surface wet bulb temps are below freezing and the precip overcoming the dry air we have in place aloft should ensure the column quickly cools and brings all snow from the get go. You'll be finding out shortly, the precip edge looks to be already up through Hollidaysburg.  

Archived