joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models aren't perfect...Using your local knowledge and forecasting experience is important, but to eschew them completely is unwise.  The short term ones initialize every hour.  Sure, there are changes, and they won't nail it, but you and I aren't going to have accumulating snow until 10-12, or even 10.  For me and you will shut off around 6, maybe a little after, and then pixie dust, flurries...nonaccumulating stuff...I don't think your 10-12" will verify either nor did your 0 column by 8z.  Though, we do hug models too much and to have you here is definitely an asset.  

It sure as he*l did not hold off until very late morning like was being shown very late lat night. A 3am call with onset at 6-7am is probably better than calls for onset at 10am-12noon. the 6pm remains to be seen, I believe initlally you referenced 4/5 or as late as 6.

I think the HRRR's radar assimilation is better in summer convective situations, but others may know more.

I would agree...it probably wouldnt be great with banding features in this type of set up. I would think it would also be a little better with more of a defined low pressure system rather than a jet of moisture with an associated front.

I would agree...it probably wouldnt be great with banding features in this type of set up. I would think it would also be a little better with more of a defined low pressure system rather than a jet of moisture with an associated front.

That must be it, nice!

i hope howard is right....It may be a case that after 6pm or so we get light small flakes, but as it will be cold and dark they might still accumulate some..I'm always hoping for backbuilding or steady stuff after it looks like it will shut off....I will be more than happy to be proven wrong

this band that is moving SE from WV extends all the way through PA

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RLX-N0Q-1-12

it must be the arctic front....I don't think we shut off and clear out until it passes, but before it does, I would expect it to efficiently wring out all available moisture

It sure as he*l did not hold off until very late morning like was being shown very late lat night. A 3am call with onset at 6-7am is probably better than calls for onset at 10am-12noon. the 6pm remains to be seen, I believe initlally you referenced 4/5 or as late as 6.

Dude....back edge is racing, probably done before 5, just enjoy what is falling now.

this band that is moving SE from WV extends all the way through PA

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RLX-N0Q-1-12

it must be the arctic front....I don't think we shut off and clear out until it passes, but before it does, I would expect it to efficiently wring out all available moisture

Good comments.  You know your schtuff.

I hope so.  I like when Howard's tea leaves and folklore are right and then he comes back in and lambasts the iginiant.

It's not folklore. What it is, back in the 1960's and into then 70's I, as a lay person weather nut, did not have the satellite, radar, wv, computer, etc. I had to learn how to forecast from the grouud up so to speak.  It turns out that most of the ground obs. discipline do correspond well with what is happening up top. 30.1, in this case, corresponds pretty well to what the upper levels are doing to allow for snow. Took me really until intenet weather to connect how I Had to learn how to do things with what you guys we able to assess and forecast from the much advanced technology and distribution of info that is now available. My observations are not in conflict with more current and standard procedures, it's just a difference in the culling method.

Archived