Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/4-5/2015 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Paradoxical, but perfectly descriptive. 21 F and snow here...donut hole of dryness sitting over the Sound & Fairfield & New Haven Counties drifting SE...will be hard to avoid around here.

Snow stopped in Port Jefferson about 5 minutes ago...as the awful dry area moved over as expected.

I don't think our home town did as good as we hoped. Substance killed them

It definitely looks that way, but they are still going so maybe they can make up for it a bit now

Not in midtown east it's not.  Snow has slowed to flurries.

And im west side in Battery park City where there are barely flurries anymore lol

So this is the dry punch i warned of (Well I got something right in this storm), along side subsidence behind that band...The good news is we should see some more light snow before this ends, I'm just doubting anymore than an inch or so for the remainder and i suspect that may even be pushing it, nice storm all around though!

Can someone explain a noob why NWS radar still shows 15dbz echoes over the area but TDWR radar Forky linked correctly does not ?

Noaa is using Mt Holly as well as Upton, but the dry air is below the beam. The beam from Newark Airport is close enough to see the dry air, but the NWS radars cannot. Essentially when a a beam is emitted by the radar, the public normally only sees a certain angle. Because of this angle, the farther away you get from the radar itself, the higher the altitude the beam travels. This beam therefore is seeing precipitation in the upper atmosphere, but because the the lowest levels have the dry air punching in (subsidence) it's not making it to the ground. The beam at Newark is close enough to see it.

I wont debate the 6" part, but if this is moderate snow then I am the easter bunny...

It is closer to completely stopped than it is to Mod snow out there right now

Flurries is what I'd call it ATM.

It looks like snow will pick up again in a bit for Metro. There is a healthy band of snow in south central Pennsylvania that might pass through region.

What do folks think about the remainder of this afternoon? 1 to 3 inches more?

Noaa is using Mt Holly as well as Upton, but the dry air is below the beam. The beam from Newark Airport is close enough to see the dry air, but the NWS radars cannot. Essentially when a a beam is emitted by the radar, the of kit normally sees it at a certain angle. Because of this angle, the farther away you get from the radar itself, the higher the altitude the beam travels. This beam therefore is seeing precipitation in the upper atmosphere, but because the the lowest levels have the dry air punching in (subsidence) it's not making it to the ground. The beam at Newark is close enough to see it.

Cheers.

Guest Pamela

Snow stopped in Port Jefferson about 5 minutes ago...as the awful dry area moved over as expected.

I must say that was extremely strange...I have seen the snow streamers aim for Port Jeff many times before...but never the dry area...an eerie symmetry to the whole matter.

Noaa is using Mt Holly as well as Upton, but the dry air is below the beam. The beam from Newark Airport is close enough to see the dry air, but the NWS radars cannot. Essentially when a a beam is emitted by the radar, the of kit normally sees it at a certain angle. Because of this angle, the farther away you get from the radar itself, the higher the altitude the beam travels. This beam therefore is seeing precipitation in the upper atmosphere, but because the the lowest levels have the dry air punching in (subsidence) it's not making it to the ground. The beam at Newark is close enough to see it.

Thanks! That makes sense. I will probably stick to TDWR going forward as I live fairly closer to the airport relative to Upton and Mt.Holly. I have often been confused about this when NWS radar reporting mod snow and get only flurries on ground. And this cleared that up.

Archived