joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike masco on board. Forecast is for 6-9+ for most of the area. He also mentions that thundersnow and 2-4"/hour rates are possible. Anybody have any thoughts on the thundersnow possibility?

It's possible but not a classic setup in the upper levels. Vast majority of our tssn happens with a closed upper level low (or very vigorous shortwave) to our sw and rapidly deepening cyclone to our east. 

There's going to be fairly strong frontogenesis moving through with decent vv's and strong thermal gradient. I'm not well versed with this kind of setup though. Seems at least some of the ingredients are there. Might be thundersleet with the front. lol

It's possible but not a classic setup in the upper levels. Vast majority of our tssn happens with a closed upper level low (or very vigorous shortwave) to our sw and rapidly deepening cyclone to our east. 

There's going to be fairly strong frontogenesis moving through with decent vv's and strong thermal gradient. I'm not well versed with this kind of setup though. Seems at least some of the ingredients are there. Might be thundersleet with the front. lol

March snows are dynamic though.  I mentioned the other day that my only experience with TSSN was in a March setup like this one.

Flashback to 2011 :snowing:

This morning Cantore was yakking about convective potential. He mentioned standard thunderstorms, but circled areas of predicted sleet... thundersleet. At least he understands this stuff, unlike some of his TWC associates who a few days before were agog about thunderhail. Yes, they actually said thunderhail.

Archived