joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

JoshM

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked up my first bonafide sweat of the year.  Cleared some brush and hand cut and hauled away an old crab apple tree that didn't make it through the winter.  Felt good, but I still don't want to make it a habit.  :)  Sitting inside now with a fan blowing directly on me and my wife looking at me like I've lost my mind.

Cancel red alert... continue yellow alert until next week busts.

:weenie:

:wub:   

A twit from twitter

WRAL Mike Maze

1 hr ·

A Strong Geomagnetic Storm has hit the Earth and it has been creating Aurora as far south as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana and Washington State. It is possible that they could develop as far south as North Carolina overnight tonight. Here is a Space Weather product which shows the 30 minute forecast for Aurora's.

A couple of years back the Day Light Savings start date was pulled back to early March.  So I got a wennie question: How are climatologist figuring temperature changes to account for the possible slight differences in highs and lows? ----meaning by jumping forwards one hour the low for that day or the high for the next could be different with the new start date. An example is for RDU last night at mid-night; The temp at 23:51 was 62 degrees and the temp at 00:51 was 57. If we had stayed on the old Day Light Saving schedule the temp at 23:51 would have been 57 degrees. That would have most likely been the high for today (not 62). I know this can work both ways; whereas the overnight temps actually rise but we all know that is less common than temps dropping in the early evening (say after a frontal passage.  In a time where climatologist are comparing temp changes by the tenth of a degree this could be an issue.

Looks like the GFS is settling in on a storm around the time of my wedding but its timing varies a little every run. Some runs its still warm and pre-frontal but todays 12z is a wedge from hell with temps in the 40's. This will be the one stinking time the 10 day GFS will be right on the money.

Looks like the GFS is settling in on a storm around the time of my wedding but its timing varies a little every run. Some runs its still warm and pre-frontal but todays 12z is a wedge from hell with temps in the 40's. This will be the one stinking time the 10 day GFS will be right on the money.

The good thing is since wedges are always undermodeled at this range, highs will only be in the 30s, so it shouldn't be so hot!

Archived