• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

If March 1993 had happened at the end of March rather than the 13th, I bet it would've been a rainstorm for the vast majority of us outside the mountains.

As far as I know, temps were pretty marginal with a lot of mixing along I-95

An intense storm like that with no block would mix in January around here.

I'm hoping something spins up next week just for something big to track even if my yard's snow prospects are slim. It's a pretty ripe pattern for a phased bomb of some sort. Or even a good bowling ball.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If March 1993 had happened at the end of March rather than the 13th, I bet it would've been a rainstorm for the vast majority of us outside the mountains.

As far as I know, temps were pretty marginal with a lot of mixing along I-95

Is that your recollection at 5 years old?

Not even 5.... I have no memory of that storm, but I do know that there was mixing in the cities. 

It wasn't a great storm(for snow) along I-95 and east. Yeah I got some heavy snow but temps were extremely marginal. Probably had close to 8 inches of wet snow here but it turned to heavy rain and by the time the colder air moved back in at the end there was about a 2-3 inch iceberg of frozen slush to show for the "storm of the century". Suckfest here. For interior elevated areas, it was a monster.

Bwi had 11.9 inches. That's solid for any March storm even if rain/mix cut in.

True, but as far as it being hyped as the storm of the century, wrt sensible weather at locales on the coastal plain, it was just a major late winter storm. Overall, it was a historic event. But per the original observation, temps were very marginal and the overall set up and track was one that was ideal for the mountains and Piedmont, not the cities and coastal plain.

Unfortunately no. Nothing showing up during that time. Fri-sun window is looking interesting. Some good storms showing up. Last 3 ens runs are trending better.

Thanks. Got that impression from what I could discern on TropTid. Too bad the western ridging is a bit suckish for next week. Seems there is a decent op for something, but appears it will pass unrealized.

Not even 5.... I have no memory of that storm, but I do know that there was mixing in the cities.

The mixing was due to the path of the low. There was a foot of snow in Birmingham and a temp of 2. There was a rain snow mix in Tampa. If that low happened at the end of March and you were well west of the low, you'd get hammered at this latitude

Areas as close a Potomac Maryland stayed all snow in '93. In north Bethesda we got 12 niches of snow followed by a couple inches of sleet and topped off with a dusting. The sleet really helped keep the snowpack around for a while despite the March sun.

I was in living in Potomac in 1993. We definitely flipped over to heavy sleet too. My total was 13.5", nothing close to that ridiculous 24" report that made it to the NWS. Montgomery County was in the 12-19" range for 3/93, making it the biggest March event since 1958 for our county. And as for the hype-- maybe it was different TV markets? But I didn't think it was over-hyped for the DC area. All forecasts mentioned the flip to mix or rain for the coastal plain. The forecast amounts were fairly accurate (for example, Doug Hill had 8-18" for the metro area), and the big deal was being under a Blizzard Warning for the first time in more than a decade. And travel was crippled for Saturday and Sunday for most of the area.  

March 93 was a pretty big deal even in the city of Balto where I lived in NE part.   I did change over but never to plain rain, mostly sleet and some zr for a while on top of a foot of snow.   Neighbors out here told me it was about 18-20 inches here.....I moved here 9 months too late.....Back to the city, the  temps held at 32, maybe briefly to 33.   It was a pain in the ass to clean up, as big a pain as any 2 foot snowstorm because of the heavy sleet/zr cap on top.  I could walk on the snow gently without falling through and I was a good 160 lbs.  It was crippling around town for about two days with the frigid cold that followed.

The mixing was due to the path of the low. There was a foot of snow in Birmingham and a temp of 2. There was a rain snow mix in Tampa. If that low happened at the end of March and you were well west of the low, you'd get hammered at this latitude

You're probably right... I tend to underestimate post-3/20 climo most of the time but now that you brought it up, I can see it being theoretically possible even at the end of March.

That Birmingham total (and the cold afterwards) was beyond incredible

Archived