joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be an interesting period to watch.  GGEM had us getting snow on Tuesday, but eventually agreed with the GFS that the storm would stay well to our south.   On the other hand the GGEM was the first model to show yesterday's storm, back when the GFS thought that one would pass well to our south. 

Six days out, it's hard to know which model will be most accurate.  It's like looking at different members of an ensemble.  There's potential in the pattern though.

Canadian ensembles have a cold front swinging through as a gigantic low tracks along the Canadian border, which is what the rest of the operational models have. I'd say there is a 0% chance this happens next weekend.

Good. Any chance we can eliminate the cold front, too?

I wouldn't necessarily count out late next week yet IMO... individ EPS ensembles are all over the place -- some show pretty decent coastal storms and others show nada

e23 to go please ;)

Still has a chance that is above 0% and well below 50%.    It's still a thread-able needle until models trend way more progressive.

Guessing is nice, and maybe that will be how it plays out, but the modeling right now has 850 temps in the -12C range and a closed upper low nearby.    If that is correct, it would be a breezy day with a stratocumulus field filling in quickly and highs in the low 40s.

It wont be very cold, especially if its sunny. upper 40s- low 50s next weekend and breezy is my guess. Cold has no bite late March/early April.

It wont be very cold, especially if its sunny. upper 40s- low 50s next weekend and breezy is my guess. Cold has no bite late March/early April.

Scratching head looking at my records back to 1980....

Date      RLH   RL              biggest snowfall

3/29        37    17             1.5/84

3/30        39    20             3.2/03  

3/31        34    18             1.0/03

4/01        37    20             2.0/03

4/02        43    22             0.2/11

4/03        37    23             2.0/87

4/04        37    18             3.2/87

4/05        33    24             2.5/87     

Not earth shattering, but it does get chilly and white.

I'll take a 2003 or 1987 repeat myself.

This winter just does not seem to know how to say goodbye.

I think we have one final snowstorm. We are a snowtown. It loves to snow this winter. Let's bring this one home. Maryland is going to get absolutely shellacked. It will, because said so. I dont think psuhoffman and Fozz have had enough snow yet. Ready that shovel Bob Chill, because you are gonna be diggin MORE snow! Casa de Das is gonna get shut down by a SICK, OBSCENE monster snow deathband!  I dont care if that calendar says spring. I say its still winter and its gon' snow!

It does not need to snow in my back yard for me to root for snow! I want Maryland to get shut down by severe torrential snow!

We've got this one, too. :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:

Scratching head looking at my records back to 1980....

Date      RLH   RL              biggest snowfall

3/29        37    17             1.5/84

3/30        39    20             3.2/03  

3/31        34    18             1.0/03

4/01        37    20             2.0/03

4/02        43    22             0.2/11

4/03        37    23             2.0/87

4/04        37    18             3.2/87

4/05        33    24             2.5/87     

Not earth shattering, but it does get chilly and white.

I'll take a 2003 or 1987 repeat myself.

Oh it can happen, it just usually doesn't. My reply was more of a tongue in cheek "reassurance" to WintrWXLuvr not to be concerned about a late season(early Spring) cold front. Hardly the type of cold thats going to keep everyone inside by the fire lol. Unless there is a storm, I still doubt we see worse than a couple days with highs in the 40s in the metros.

It's bound to go wrong eventually, tho I like being east for this one. 

I am in full tilt Spring mode now. Just casually "tracking" this. I really think this is a low probability but its been on the radar for a while, and if it happens, it would be interesting. I like weather that's interesting. And being east is not typically where you want to be the very end of March if you want snow. Does happen though.

Archived