joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making some progress. It won't take much to get a 1-3" snow into much of the area.

If I get 2 inches I would be happy, that's about climo for me this time of year, but there are other backyards besides mine to think about. Wes and noreastericane need snow, and so do other people in Va and in Maryland. Maryland got good snow last storm. Well, I want them to get even MORE snow this storm.  :snowing:

Currently for DC - I'd toss the Ukmet and I'm not even posting the SREF...looks like 1" for me

12zEuro - 0.07"

18z GFS - 0.09"

18z RGEM - 0.10"

12zUkmet - 0.15"

12zGGEM - 0.07"

18z NAM - 0.08"

18z 4k NAM - 0.11"

every model got worse for DC except EURO (GFS stayed same)...still looks like close to 1" for me...

0z Euro - 0.09" 

0z GFS - 0.09"

0z NAM - 0.06"

0z 4k NAM - 0.05"

0z UKMET - 0.06"

0z GGEM - 0.03"

0z RGEM - 0.09"

06z NAM is a big improvement.

AD9qMiT.png

If I'm interpreting this map - and usedtobe's backyard correctly, this run gives him about 2 inches of snow.

Some parts of northeastern NC could be looking at a foot of snow on this run

As for the 4-km map, I need more corroboration from more modeling.

I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention since we've been tracking a surprise snow but the signal for a -nao building seems to be increasing every day. Ensembles have been hinting at it. Now the ops are starting to bite. 

D10 euro:

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

GFS showing it happening just later

gfs_z500a_nhem_47.png

Euro ens have been showing the nao to drop towards neutral for a few days now but last night's 0z now favors going into neg teritory:

post-2035-0-70762800-1424871659_thumb.jp

GEFS has been more stubborn but the last 3 ens runs show neutral NAO conditions by March 9-10th. 

I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention since we've been tracking a surprise snow but the signal for a -nao building seems to be increasing every day. Ensembles have been hinting at it. Now the ops are starting to bite. 

D10 euro:

GFS showing it happening just later

Euro ens have been showing the nao to drop towards neutral for a few days now but last night's 0z now favors going into neg teritory:

attachicon.gifeuronaoens.JPG

GEFS has been more stubborn but the last 3 ens runs show neutral NAO conditions by March 9-10th. 

Just in time for spring, awesome.  I love chilly rain; we didn't get near enough of that this winter.

Just in time for spring, awesome.  I love chilly rain; we didn't get near enough of that this winter.

If I as living south or east of DC I would be very skeptical, but for those of us northwest of the fall line there are plenty of cases of good snowfalls mid march to just discount the threat if we do indeed get a +PNA -NAO pattern March 10-20.  Even southeast of there it can happen, just more rare.  Last year should prove its too soon to say winter is over. 

If I as living south or east of DC I would be very skeptical, but for those of us northwest of the fall line there are plenty of cases of good snowfalls mid march to just discount the threat if we do indeed get a +PNA -NAO pattern March 10-20.  Even southeast of there it can happen, just more rare.  Last year should prove its too soon to say winter is over. 

That was the point of my post. Now that we are moving away from "decent" snow climo we need more help. I'll take a -nao in March any year. Cold rain is a staple in all Marches regardless of the nao. To get snow beyond the first week we need blocking or some sort of extreme -epo or +pna. 

We're not done getting snow. I'm pretty confident that we will add to totals in the next 10 days not including what happens overnight and tomorrow. 

That was the point of my post. Now that we are moving away from "decent" snow climo we need more help. I'll take a -nao in March any year. Cold rain is a staple in all Marches regardless of the nao. To get snow beyond the first week we need blocking or some sort of extreme -epo or +pna. 

We're not done getting snow. I'm pretty confident that we will add to totals in the next 10 days not including what happens overnight and tomorrow. 

Bob, yesterday you mentioned the Euro ensembles were increasing snow chances....how do they look today?

thx

Bob, yesterday you mentioned the Euro ensembles were increasing snow chances....how do they look today?

thx

They look pretty good. Especially for a front end thump tues-wed next week. Beyond that looks good as well. Plenty of cold highs but mixing will be an obvious problem with events unless the nao really does go negative. 

Archived