wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March Into Not A Morch Pattern Discussion

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best is someone like myself talking interior people off a ledge. It will be raining here, but someone like MPM or Whiteminster will probably complain about the back edge approaching and then I have to show them Albany's radar to make them feel better. Meanwhile, the knife is twisted into my side as I explain they are getting more snow. Sure seems like some inland folk get very sensitive about their snow.

The best is someone like myself talking interior people off a ledge. It will be raining here, but someone like MPM or Whiteminster will probably complain about the back edge approaching and then I have to show them Albany's radar to make them feel better. Meanwhile, the knife is twisted into my side as I explain they are getting more snow. Sure seems like some inland folk get very sensitive about their snow.

Lol.  And you are good at doing this.  I feel I should pay you a psychotherapeutic fee at least twice this winter.  It has been a bit tough up here to continually see great snows to our south, while we get mediocre snows.  But overall we will be at last 20% above normal with a long snowpack.  A good winter here, epic/historical/biblical about 50 miles SE of me.

However late March, as you say, could be interesting....and I suspect if it gets interesting we may yet again hear the fading phrase..."Congrats Dendrite"

I saw something this morning that said the +EPO that was being modeled next week disappeared last night .

Morch is flirting with you. Tickling your underarms. Giggling like a schoolgirl. She wants you to invite her inside. Yeah, you're married to winter now...but you remember those old hot summer nights with her. Let her in Kevin. Let her in.

Morch is flirting with you. Tickling your underarms. Giggling like a schoolgirl. She wants you to invite her inside. Yeah, you're married to winter now...but you remember those old hot summer nights with her. Let her in Kevin. Let her in.

OMFG!!! i just fell off my chair!!!

:lmao:

The thing is, there has been this low frequency niño signal. So while you can get pattern changes, sometimes they don't last long and that was the issue. The weeklies sort of showed this nicely.....almost like the pattern goes back to a default niño look until a wholesale change occurs. At least that's what it seems like to me anyways.

I was looking back at my records for the historic for totals 95/96 season , biggest difference is now depth days. I was in SWRI and actually entered March with zero depth as you can see on the attached. I ended up with 110.7 as the April records show but this year despite now being only 7.4 below that record absolutely crushes that winter overall. Stats are great but not the whole story.

She's ringing the doorbell. Let her in...

post-533-0-28105500-1425567324_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow looks like the last day before we start eroding away the pack at a steady pace. A lot of us should see 40s by next week. It may only be seasonable, but it's a sign of the impending change of seasons.

Don't think so. I see 3 "real melting days" aka dews higher than 25 with highs in the low 40s or greater starting Tuesday next week. All dependent on cloud cover of course, but before then probably lose maybe half an inch up to an inch from sublimation and melting per day before then. Also have the MOS equations changed for the Spring season yet? If so, the busts may not be the same as the past two weeks where the highs were overachieving the MOS forecasts. I think they change on April 1st, but I ask the question because I never know if its March 1st or April 1st. 

Imagine if that D6 NAVGEM solution comes to pass... that would be one helluva melt-off day...  

That depiction soars 850mb T to +9 on a WSW wind, under full sun.

It'll be an interesting experiment in snow pack off-setting should that take place above.

OK, so is March considered a winter month or not...seems like people pick and choose based on feelings and mood....moodology

There's subjectivity on both sides of that decussion/debate... 

Science tries to make March 1 the first day of spring, which by default would make March not a winter month. 

However, at our latitude, ...heh, good luck with that.  Some years, sure... spring arrives with resounding applause, quite early in the month. In fact, three years ago, huge positive anomalies in February simply just kept rising in March; was spring on Feb 1st that season?   Other years, no... Last year, we had a blizzard in March, and it was in the teens for high temperatures far too often to ever be construed as spring to anyone with a modicum of sanity...  

Still, since 1/3 to 1/2 the years in general show greater temperature gains between March 1 and April 1, than there are between Jan 1 and Mar 1, that month should technically and fairly be judged as spring month ... I have never read/seen/heard a definitive explanation from NWS/NCEP as to why they cordon off March 1 as Spring 1, but the temp recovery is a sound enough argument for me personally. 

It's just as because we are far enough N, this region can be protected from warm during the earlier weeks of spring.  

Archived