• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March Into Not A Morch Pattern Discussion

Damage In Tolland

Well once you're around 3/20 even a cold and stormy pattern is going to mean a lot of melting in SNE. Climo will rule the day. The longer we prolong 5"+ of liquid locked into the pack the higher the threat is for a rapid meltdown.

Yeah.. There's little doubt the Sultan will be making several appearances the next month or so. Saving lives and issuing warnings

post-33-0-69182800-1335129317.jpg

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. 4.74" of liquid here in the pack here as of yesterday - we added another 0.64" last night too. Most inland areas of SNE now over 5" of liquid on the ground which is a bit concerning for early March.

A ground that is a solid cement block probably 5-6 inches deep. Gonna be talking ice jams on rivers and streams in SNE that normally have no problems.

I saw it 10 years ago.  Meh.

Well even '04-'05 couldn't match this run...but that year had some events outside of a 1 month period like Dec 26, 2004 so a chunk of SE MA is still trailing that eyar for total snowfall.

Back in the elevated interior...as well as ORH has done, the 2000-2001 winter had a more impressive snowpack in March as hard as that is to believe, it was over 40" and closer to 50" at one point. This winter has had more snow overall though and of course nothing can beat the 3 week stretch this year.

Well even '04-'05 couldn't match this run...but that year had some events outside of a 1 month period like Dec 26, 2004 so a chunk of SE MA is still trailing that eyar for total snowfall.

Back in the elevated interior...as well as ORH has done, the 2000-2001 winter had a more impressive snowpack in March as hard as that is to believe, it was over 40" and closer to 50" at one point. This winter has had more snow overall though and of course nothing can beat the 3 week stretch this year.

I'm getting close.  I was just pointing out that these snow totals are not unheard of and not ones we won't see again.  A decade is not bad.  For short term impact, yes this season tops all.  This season is mimicking 04/05 at least done here.  It's events like the last 2-3 that just keep padding the stats.

I'm getting close.  I was just pointing out that these snow totals are not unheard of and not ones we won't see again.  A decade is not bad.  For short term impact, yes this season tops all.  This season is mimicking 04/05 at least done here.  It's events like the last 2-3 that just keep padding the stats.

Yeah it's possible the totals could be repeated....but man..that period....unbelievable.

Yeah it's possible the totals could be repeated....but man..that period....unbelievable.

'04-'05 had some torch days thrown in during the snow run for SE MA too...February had some good events, but a lot of melting back of the snow, so it wasn't as disruptive. The epic depths were achieved a couple days after the blizzard in the 1/26/05 storm, but then it was a see-saw in February.

The obscene cold along side the snow is what has been so disruptive...or extra disruptive. No melting.

'04-'05 had some torch days thrown in during the snow run for SE MA too...February had some good events, but a lot of melting back of the snow, so it wasn't as disruptive. The epic depths were achieved a couple days after the blizzard in the 1/26/05 storm, but then it was a see-saw in February.

The obscene cold along side the snow is what has been so disruptive...or extra disruptive. No melting.

Exactly. You can rate winters using subjective metrics....but no warm spells combined wit the cold and snow..just awesome and unheard of.

Very impressive MJO surge in the GEFs and operational... Emerging in phase 5 from incoherence, then strengthening fantastically through phase 6/7... 

Those particular wave spaces composite to some of the warmest correlations for the eastern CONUS. 

With the remainder of the Pacific arc neutralizing through that same time frame, there is plausibility in my mind that the current "dirty" warm up characteristics of the operational are merely not as of yet being influenced by the forcing that should take place from an MJO pulse of that strength.  The impetus being that the MJO should be more constructively interfering with the Pac circulation and how it relays into N/A, rather than deconstructive -- which would be the case if the wave were attempting to emerge over on the 8/1's.

In simple terms, this is a transition period heading into the Ides of the month, and is typical during such times of larger scaled change,... the ending magnitudes are prooobably not going to be very consistently handled across the bevy of guidance types - much less details. 

For me, the generality should feature more storminess returning to western N/A/Great Basin, and perhaps into the water starved regions of N California.  Also figure for snow pack buildup in the mountains out that way over a two week period.  Depending on the exact make up/lengths of the r-wave subtending E from a phase 6/7 controlled Pac will lend insight into whether the flow can still remained backed over the NE in the mid levels.  Some form of ridging should propagate E of the Divide given time, and by mid month, and eventually, that may even bring the seasons first spring convection to the Plains, as eventual return flow abuts the cooling western heights medium.  As for the E, it may not mean balmy air gets all the way into NE, but the OV/MA ...given time, should finally sans the cool anomalies and be replaced by seasonal temperature to somewhat above normal.   50/50 on whether this air gets all the way into NE, other wise, N-door/BD type air mass may retard.  Be that as it may, the 850mb temperature layout will be modified, so any daily fortunate enough to get into some sun will benefit and make for considerably "sensibly" milder afternoons.

On another note, it's shaping up to be a good sugaring season which will bode well for sugar makers and perhaps consumers in the long run.

I took the next step from a block arch and steam table pans to a 2x4 evaporator this year. I'm hoping for a good season. Haven't had any flow today in a few test taps. Putting in the rest of my taps this weekend.

Archived