gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
March Into Not A Morch Pattern Discussion

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it seems like the lower annual average spots and those prone to melting out in winter, this winter has that one beat. Though that winter probably had a much longer "season" of snow falling...it seemed more evenly spaced throughout winter vs such a stark transition from no snow first half to record snow second half.

Yes, I share in this (bold) sentiment exactly ...  Thing is, and it did occur to me when the winter wood first got put to our 'hoods some four to five week back, this is exciting?  But it's happening kind of at the wrong time.   I knew in the back of my mind  ...circa Feb 15, that this was all on borrowed time.

But not always... There are seasons of yore that conquered seasonal averages as late as the ides of April. In 1956, there was winter that was rather banal as far as sensible winter production; until March.  Some three or four 12" coastal juggernauts took that season above average (correct me if I am wrong Jerry -- this was told to me by Harv).  

Anyway, a week ago, I was looking at a fairly static negative PNA, and static positive NAO; neither of which would help the winter obsession's cause should the EPO vanquish, which was just what the GEFs were signaling.  So it seemed objective and logical to me like we were about to enter a pattern change toward warmer, collocated in time with a spring month, and viola!  Time to put winter to bed. 

But now?  Jesus christ.. What an enabling turn of events - ha ha.

First, for the record, over the longer term the teleconnectors are superior when it comes to creating a generalized landscape/impression about where synoptics will most like align, out in time.  THAT, however, does not preclude the possibility that the teleconnector won't enter a period of modality - and that's the neck rub...

Since that time, what's evolved is about as big an Archembault signal for eastern North America as I have ever seen, for mid month through the Equinox. Hard to say whether that would come by way of a big event, or a series ... I do believe before hand we'll claim a couple of milder days relative to what we have experienced.  The Euro from 00z -btw- was less emphatically biting on what the GEFs argue is plausible (but that model sucks for me out in time..) out in time, but in the nearer terms there are a couple of opportunities (in the GGEM/NVAGEM, too) for afternoons over 0C at 850 with off-shore winds and sun. Snow pack notwithstanding... that's mild.

Then we'll see if this new signal has legs....  

Just like that...sans the GFS, the other operational back off and try to bring the conus back into modest positive anomalies. ..

Firstly, any thing nearing normalcy is going to probably feel sensibly quite mild, particularly due to the direction of acclimation ...GL/OV/NE regions.  

Also, there are some that clearly missed the point all along, when the discussion of weakening EPO, and statically warm phased other teleconnectors "might" mean the end of winter as we know/knew it.  ...reading in too deeply, and not reading the words actually written. The whole while I said the GEFs may be rushing things... I also stated on a couple of different occasions, that I was not convinced, both that the longer term tendency for blocking was actually over, and that the end of the month wouldn't return to winter like conditions.  I merely discussed what was factually depicted by the GEFs, and many operational model type, emerging trends... And you couldn't take it. 

Fact of the matter is, today was 40 in nearly full sun up to an hour ago.  And, the models (most save the GFS) are still deciding on the extent of warming... The very fact that is true, IS SPRING for f sake!  

And so, keeping with the fact ... it may be that these model runs flip flopping is more a reflection of transition season growing pains. Spring and autumn tend to have bigger variability, both in modeling dailies, but in pattern handling in general. Even the teleconnectors show increased stochastic behavior.  It may be this is all we are seeing...  

Just like that...sans the GFS, the other operational back off and try to bring the conus back into modest positive anomalies. ..

Firstly, any thing nearing normalcy is going to probably feel sensibly quite mild, particularly due to the direction of acclimation ...GL/OV/NE regions.  

Also, there are some that clearly missed the point all along, when the discussion of weakening EPO, and statically warm phased other teleconnectors "might" mean the end of winter as we know/knew it.  ...reading in too deeply, and not reading the words actually written. The whole while I said the GEFs may be rushing things... I also stated on a couple of different occasions, that I was not convinced, both that the longer term tendency for blocking was actually over, and that the end of the month wouldn't return to winter like conditions.  I merely discussed what was factually depicted by the GEFs, and many operational model type, emerging trends... And you couldn't take it. 

Fact of the matter is, today was 40 in nearly full sun up to an hour ago.  And, the models (most save the GFS) are still deciding on the extent of warming... The very fact that is true, IS SPRING for f sake!  

And so, keeping with the fact ... it may be that these model runs flip flopping is more a reflection of transition season growing pains. Spring and autumn tend to have bigger variability, both in modeling dailies, but in pattern handling in general. Even the teleconnectors show increased stochastic behavior.  It may be this is all we are seeing...  

Have you seen the Euro Ensemble package?

From one of the best..Keep jackets, shovels, hats and yardsticks at the ready

1. Great late season snowstorm pattern ahead for the East. But it's got to really bring it to be remembered. #1958

0 replies5 retweets2 favorites
     Retweet5
     Favorite2
    More

I'm pretty confident that we're not even close to done in terms of accumulating snow in Northeast. Let's talk in about a month?

Snowstorm pattern and seeing a snowstorm in ones backyard are entirely different things. It could just as easily be a rainstorm in your back yard. In fact I'd argue that a rain storm is more climatologically favored than a snowstorm by mid month.

Agreed.... Days like today do damage on the snowpack as well. Noticeably lower than just a few days ago

Nice to see the AO/NAO going negative again towards later in the week as well as a -EPO reload and a +PNA off the Euro telleconnections. Sun is strong and this week is relatively mild but after that all bets are off. Obviously mid winter chill would be difficult but highs in the 30s and opportunities for snow would be impressive if we could pull that off.

Man the GFS really blew this week..Keeping highs in the 30's all week. 

Did the ENS lose the massive threat they had for the storm on the 17th?

Seems like some GEFS members have it, but I don't see a big signal for that. It can change though, this far out.

Man the GFS really blew this week..Keeping highs in the 30's all week. 

Did the ENS lose the massive threat they had for the storm on the 17th?

I saw zero models showing this. You can't use model srfc temps either. Everything seems on track to me.

Some of the confusion probably was from a few posts claiming 30s from model temps. Big no-no this time of year and especially with snow pack and near shore SSTs near freezing. The model grid resolution will probably cool near coast temps too much, and I've also noticed they are too cool over snowpack..especially in a well mixes atmosphere like a DSD type of day. To me, everything looks as planned.

Some of the confusion probably was from a few posts claiming 30s from model temps. Big no-no this time of year and especially with snow pack and near shore SSTs near freezing. The model grid resolution will probably cool near coast temps too much, and I've also noticed they are too cool over snowpack..especially in a well mixes atmosphere like a DSD type of day. To me, everything looks as planned.

The brief warmup post-weekend looks more robust than last week to me but it doesn't really change the general thinking of a pretty cool/stormy look for much of the 2nd half of the month.

Archived