joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MPM/Codfishsnowman Whoa is Me Thread

mreaves

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what the disconnect is with the 300 pct club, again having another 15 inches on the season would hardly be a jackpot fetish.....I certainly never had a shot at 90 plus and I've been honest about that... and I can most certainly argue that bad luck is to blame for not having it had been somewhat better above and beyond what a godforsaken place this is to be a snow lover

I suppose 2010/2011 was my codfishsnowman year. got about 45" that year which was good for about 125% above annual average. However, I did miss out on a bunch of storms by 5-10 miles that year, so I had some envy deep down. But I mean, getting 4" then turning to rain while areas 10 miles north are getting 10-12" is much worse on the psyche than just not jacking. I guess it's seasons like that which makes us coastal folk hardened though.

For BTV this year is above normal but more so from well distributed nickle and dimers as opposed to large events. No complaining here but I would have liked to have seen 1 or 2 more big ticket systems. We obviously missed out on the good stuff in Southern New England.

I'm not sure what the disconnect is with the 300 pct club, again having another 15 inches on the season would hardly be a jackpot fetish.....I certainly never had a shot at 90 plus and I've been honest about that... and I can most certainly argue that bad luck is to blame for not having it had been somewhat better above and beyond what a godforsaken place this is to be a snow lover

Luck has nothing to do with snowfall.  It doesn't work like that.  Also, before you say that Springfield is a "godforsaken" place for a snow lover, try Willimantic or SE CT.  I'm sure any snow lover in that part of SNE would LOVE to average what you do.  Even there, it pales in comparison to places in the mid-atlantic that might not even see snow in a given year.  Consider yourself lucky!

Luck has nothing to do with snowfall.  It doesn't work like that.  Also, before you say that Springfield is a "godforsaken" place for a snow lover, try Willimantic or SE CT.  I'm sure any snow lover in that part of SNE would LOVE to average what you do.  Even there, it pales in comparison to places in the mid-atlantic that might not even see snow in a given year.  Consider yourself lucky!

It definitely has an impact within a season or even a string of seasons.

Call it chaos if you don't like the term luck. But the idea is that small unpredictable nuances (that can arise from something in the very near term) within a larger scale pattern (or even within a storm itself) can cause snowfall to be well off the long term climatological spatial distribution.

I doubt that Willi is that much lower than Springfield. SE CT, yes.

It may be a good winter for westerners, but it makes it not so great when people get more snow than you that shouldn't, so I understand their woe.  It's like when someone thinks "man this is the hottest girl I've ever been with"...then they look over and see their buddy is with a girl 100x better looking....no one wants to be second best.  Sure its still nice, but not as nice as it could have been and that's what you'll dwell on. 

It may be a good winter for westerners, but it makes it not so great when people get more snow than you that shouldn't, so I understand their woe. It's like when someone thinks "man this is the hottest girl I've ever been with"...then they look over and see their buddy is with a girl 100x better looking....no one wants to be second best. Sure its still nice, but not as nice as it could have been and that's what you'll dwell on.

I dont really understand that logic. I can see the 'woe is me' sentiment more if you missed out on a blockbuster by a few miles. Then you could say you were just unlucky.

But if Washington DC gets 100" and we get like 50", its not something you should get your panties in a bunch over.

I dont really understand that logic. I can see the 'woe is me' sentiment more if you missed out on a blockbuster by a few miles. Then you could say you were just unlucky.

But if Washington DC gets 100" and we get like 50", its not something you should get your panties in a bunch over.

Well we all think differently.  5 miles east of me received almost 30 inches of snow in the blizz...and I got 15, so it was a bummer for sure. 

Comparing MPM's location to ORH is a lot different than comparing BOS to DC.  He's not bombarded with posts from DC folks every morning about how epic the winter is. 

I doubt that Willi is that much lower than Springfield. SE CT, yes.

Springfield averages around 50" and I would think that IJD is closer to 40".  It drops off SE of there for sure, but just 15 miles north of IJD you're probably looking at over 50".  It's a relative hole.  I average close to 60" and I'm about 25 miles north of there.

It definitely has an impact within a season or even a string of seasons.

Call it chaos if you don't like the term luck. But the idea is that small unpredictable nuances (that can arise from something in the very near term) within a larger scale pattern (or even within a storm itself) can cause snowfall to be well off the long term climatological spatial distribution.

I would agree but I don't think that "luck" plays a role like he was implying.  It's not like the atmosphere decides that it's not going to snow because it doesn't like someone or that it doesn't favor a group of people.  It's going to do what it's going to do.

To your point, when I was in school I remember talking about persistence and the fact that patterns will tend to persist and until you have a change, it will tend to persist and that's been my experience.  That's really what happened this year for eastern areas.

No big events locally is what made this winter frustrating.  There were so many snow events where I could see the sun through the clouds and it was almost too cold to go outside.  Days and days of lousy commutes to and from work, for measly snowfalls.  And then the wind would blow the dusting right back into the road.  Shoveling out the driveway and scraping off the car got really tedious.  I usually enjoy those activities.

The seasonal total is respectable because there were so many events.  But other than Thanksgiving, which quickly melted, none were memorable.

The rapid shift to melt season without a relaxation and shift to the storm track will cap off the winter.

How common are big events in ALB comparative to eastern parts of SNE and NNE though? Im sure there is data on that. I think your location and mine make our money on nickel and dimes....were kind of the little brother of N VT and N NH with all their nickel and diming. If your waiting for the 30-36" 4 inch per hour bomb, you might be waiting a while. For whatever reason the past 10 years(maybe less?) have favored the coastal plain for monsters( Im sure some Mets and well informed posters would have a meteorological reason) . I grew up in the Philly suburbs in the 80's and 90's and it seemed like the rain snow line was always hovering over 95 and the Poconos and the interior would get pasted pretty well. ( im guessing that would translate up to ALB on North during that time period too). I saw some graphic in the Central PA thread a while ago showing State College, PA big snow events and totals. They have dropped like a rock since the 80s and 90s.

Out of 100", my max this year was 11.5" from 1 event. Like you said, a lot of events with dim sun coming through, I hate that.

i did miss the blockbuster by a few miles as well, actually a few of them....se ct going for 400 pct btw

I was in Agawam from 1990-97 and two of the early 90's epic winters were great out there too. I do remember missing out on the Dec 92 blizzard out there and when I came to my hometown there was 18 inches and Charlton, the next town over was around 36" but other than that it was pretty good out there.

How common are big events in ALB comparative to eastern parts of SNE and NNE though? Im sure there is data on that. I think your location and mine make our money on nickel and dimes....were kind of the little brother of N VT and N NH with all their nickel and diming. If your waiting for the 30-36" 4 inch per hour bomb, you might be waiting a while. For whatever reason the past 10 years(maybe less?) have favored the coastal plain for monsters( Im sure some Mets and well informed posters would have a meteorological reason) . I grew up in the Philly suburbs in the 80's and 90's and it seemed like the rain snow line was always hovering over 95 and the Poconos and the interior would get pasted pretty well. ( im guessing that would translate up to ALB on North during that time period too). I saw some graphic in the Central PA thread a while ago showing State College, PA big snow events and totals. They have dropped like a rock since the 80s and 90s.

Out of 100", my max this year was 11.5" from 1 event. Like you said, a lot of events with dim sun coming through, I hate that.

I see what you are saying.  2' nor-easters might be slightly less common in ALB than points east, but ALB gets plenty of 12+ snowstorms.  And I'm east of ALB in the hills, where big storms are not uncommon.  It's not just the lack of big events this year, but also the lack of high intensity snowfall.  Even moderate .5 mi. vis snow was very rare... usually lasting only a matter of minutes.

100" is impressive!  Especially considering your relatively modest max.

It may be a good winter for westerners, but it makes it not so great when people get more snow than you that shouldn't, so I understand their woe. It's like when someone thinks "man this is the hottest girl I've ever been with"...then they look over and see their buddy is with a girl 100x better looking....no one wants to be second best. Sure its still nice, but not as nice as it could have been and that's what you'll dwell on.

It's not that. That's the "stealing my snow" mentality.

It's more that snowfall has been right around average haha. So you can't really get on-board with the epicness.

Just compare your location to normal with a nod to all the near misses.

I was in Agawam from 1990-97 and two of the early 90's epic winters were great out there too. I do remember missing out on the Dec 92 blizzard out there and when I came to my hometown there was 18 inches and Charlton, the next town over was around 36" but other than that it was pretty good out there.

I knew those two winters were great up here even though I lived in central ct at the time, I think those two winters which meant being just a little farther north paid dividends gave me a false sense of hope for this area. When I actually moved up this way ten years ago I received a rude awakening, ruder than any snow weenie could fathom...95-96 was very good in spfd area too and I think depths here may have been well over 30 inches after the blizzard in early Jan 96 but I just wish I had confirmation on that

It's not that. That's the "stealing my snow" mentality.

It's more that snowfall has been right around average haha. So you can't really get on-board with the epicness.

Just compare your location to normal with a nod to all the near misses.

Haha I'm fine with this winter myself, it was epic even though I missed the blizzard, I'm speaking more to folks west of me

Where is MPM?

I checked out in disgust for a few days.  The closest I got to looking at the weather was opening my browser to my p/c homepage.  Very therapeutic in this B- winter.

In spite of missing all the big storms outside of Thanksgiving, I will have wound up with a much longer snow cover than the rest of SNE when all is said and done.  I'm also not ruling out another hit; perhaps the more typical rain from 84 area to the coast and a good amount here.  That said, I'm not a big one for late March/April snows.  GIve me the early ones to set the stage for the winter, not the encore when you're moving to wood cutting season.

I checked out in disgust for a few days.  The closest I got to looking at the weather was opening my browser to my p/c homepage.  Very therapeutic in this B- winter.

In spite of missing all the big storms outside of Thanksgiving, I will have wound up with a much longer snow cover than the rest of SNE when all is said and done.  I'm also not ruling out another hit; perhaps the more typical rain from 84 area to the coast and a good amount here.  That said, I'm not a big one for late March/April snows.  GIve me the early ones to set the stage for the winter, not the encore when you're moving to wood cutting season.

The last month up here has been ok, Not great by any means like some in the SE areas of NE, But i as well, When it gets to this time of the season, I am ready to start thinking about turning the page, I am all for the early snows to set up winter for riding, Give me a couple more weeks and i will be in full spring mode

Archived