• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

CWG is truly the best at what they do and I say that with as little bias as possible, but sometimes these maps flummox me...medium confidence that we have a 50% chance of 2-5"...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/winter-storm-to-bring-hazardous-mix-of-snow-and-sleet-to-d-c-area-on-saturday/

Yeah....those maps can be dumbfounding sometimes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed, though every model shows low level warming while we are getting shellacked

They do, and sometimes thats right, other times not, also a small layer thats 33 degrees if it is snowing hard wont do too much damage other then to cause snow flake bombs and lower ratios, but were not getting high ratios from this either way.  The models could also be off 1 degree too.  I just have seen this setup so many times where if you are under the heavy precip you stay snow, once rates decline warming wins out.  The UK btw is a lot colder then previous runs...even at 850 it never gets the 0 line to the MD line when 0z got it up to central PA. 

CWG is truly the best at what they do and I say that with as little bias as possible, but sometimes these maps flummox me...medium confidence that we have a 50% chance of 2-5"...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/winter-storm-to-bring-hazardous-mix-of-snow-and-sleet-to-d-c-area-on-saturday/

That's probably reasonable given the model variance on the amplitude and temps, but 2-5 is a gigantic range.  

Where is Tenman to tell us it will be a 90%+ snow event?  Since he is going to do it at some point, now would be a good time.

I doubt that few forecasters and none of the computings are accounting for what this low will be trying to overcome. Low to the west does mean lots of rain based on 99% of experiences but right now we are the extraordinary 1%.

:)

Archived