Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weenie rationalization is the best  ;) .

I feel like the models were pretty locked in by ~24-36 out last go. main change was qpf differences and the north end shrinking south but the max area stayed pretty similar.. know many (myself included) were initially thinking north drift into end and that didn't happen. 

If melting is mitigated sat night - sun before the front clears, a lot of us could have 2 weeks of 75% snowcover South facing areas will get taken down next week no matter what the temps are. Shaded, woods, and north facing are going to look wintry for a while.

This winter will go down as quite acceptable in my book if tomorrow performs. I don't require KU's like many.

Agree.  I'm not really out looking for KU-level events, though of course I'd take one if it happened.  My goal is to finish February with this amazing and consistent cold, and have decent chances for at least one more snow event after this Saturday.  Maybe it's overly optimistic, but I don't think we're necessarily done after tomorrow.

As for tomorrow's event, it's kind of reminiscent to the one last February 12-13.  Not on the same level in terms of snow perhaps, but in terms of a great thump of snow for awhile followed by a flip.  Plus, that one started out very cold too.  I don't remember exactly how much rain fell when it flipped, but I do recall on that Thursday (13th), I got a decent amount of light rain and drizzle.  Temps got into the upper 30s before falling later in the day, and even with that and the rain we kept a lot of that snow pack (there was nothing on the ground before that snow, either).  Of course, next day after that storm it was pushing 50, whereas in this case we'll be a fair bit colder after the system goes through.

I feel like the models were pretty locked in by ~24-36 out last go. main change was qpf differences and the north end shrinking south but the max area stayed pretty similar.. know many (myself included) were initially thinking north drift into end and that didn't happen.

Last night got dicey with more amp and worse alignment of the shield/progression. Seeing it go back our way today adds a lot of confidence. It's going to be snowing in less than 24 hours and we gained leeway instead of losing it. This is one jacked up way to get a decent storm.

In general the last storm was way below everyone's expectations. I am thinking this one has a decent chance to at least meet them.

This winter will go down as quite acceptable in my book if tomorrow performs. I don't require KU's like many.

Absolutely. In fact, if I somehow get a few inches from this I would say this has been the most memorable week of winter for me personally since Feb. 2010. (Not talking about actual snow totals here, but rather the combination of high winds, record cold, repeated snow dustings, the Saturday snow bands and the big storm on President's Day)

Thanks.  I don't do anything unique or special...I just get the euro a bit faster than the wxbell crew.  As has always been the case, I analyze the run before I start spewing fine details...All the info comes out anyway...It isn't like it never gets revealed unless some weenie requests it.

I don't post much. But I have learned quite a bit from you Matt. Bob C. Also. Thanks man. Just ignore some of idiots.

Absolutely. In fact, if I somehow get a few inches from this I would say this has been the most memorable week of winter for me personally since Feb. 2010. (Not talking about actual snow totals here, but rather the combination of high winds, record cold, repeated snow dustings, the Saturday snow bands and the big storm on President's Day)

Yes,the past week or so has been pretty remarkable as it stands now.

This February by itself is reminding me of February 2007 in terms of consistent cold.  Perhaps it's even colder than 2007 at this point, I'm not sure (I'd guess probably).  And I thought that was a memorably good winter month; if we scored the Valentine's Day storm that year, it would have been spectacular.

If we do well tomorrow (and even possibly get something mid-late next week), this would out-do Feb. 2007 pretty easily in my mind.

If you like the RGEM, you're going to love the high-res RGEM.

wQuXT1C.gif

It's still "experimental", and I haven't been paying much attention to it, but it was better than the RGEM on Monday night.  I'm not sure if that's because it's really better or because it's just the RGEM run in weenie mode.

wQuXT1C.gif

It's still "experimental", and I haven't been paying much attention to it, but it was better than the RGEM on Monday night.  I'm not sure if that's because it's really better or because it's just the RGEM run in weenie mode.

Did we just get RGEM'd? :lol:

wQuXT1C.gif

It's still "experimental", and I haven't been paying much attention to it, but it was better than the RGEM on Monday night. I'm not sure if that's because it's really better or because it's just the RGEM run in weenie mode.

That's like 16" for das... crazy run

wQuXT1C.gif

12-15"   :lmao:

this one has potential. Seems like their is some high pressure to our north

Maybe.  But with no blocking there's not much to keep the HP there.  Anyhow, it's a week out, that potential has shown up a few times so bears watching.  It will be pretty cold next week leading into it, though not at the level of cold we've got now.

Archived