Toothache
Weekend Mixed Bag of WTF storm thread

Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know where Weather Underground is getting 8-12" for Baltimore:

Saturday 02/21 100% / 5-8 in
Snow showers early will transition to a steadier, sometimes heavy, snow. High 31F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.
Saturday Night 02/21 100% / 3-5 in
A wintry mix in the evening will transition to mainly rain late. Low 29F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 100%. 3 to 5 inches of snow and ice expected.

Thats 8-13 son.

Ukmet is much better, about 11mm in DC by 7:00pm Saturday. 0.5" + for Central and Northern Maryland. Also the slightest bit colder at the sfc

it's not bad though I think we should assume we flip an hour or so before 850 temps go above 0...900-925 should warm in advance...could be sleet for an hour or 2 versus rain though

for DC Ukie looks like a noon start and a 5-6pm flip...maybe 0.3" or so as snow

it's not bad though I think we should assume we flip an hour or so before 850 temps go above 0...900-925 should warm in advance...could be sleet for an hour or 2 versus rain though

Probably more like after 8pm... at 36 hrs (7pm SUN), 12z UKIE still has the 2mT at DCA at 31/32 and 850s are fine... unless you meant flip to sleet... i don't know if there is a warm layer in there or not

Sometimes if we are in the heavy precip from the WAA thump the profile will be able to stay pretty uniform, once rates dip at all thats when the warming really takes over.  I think if we get the nice band of WAA precip in here we stay snow a decent period of time. 

CWG is truly the best at what they do and I say that with as little bias as possible, but sometimes these maps flummox me...medium confidence that we have a 50% chance of 2-5"...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/winter-storm-to-bring-hazardous-mix-of-snow-and-sleet-to-d-c-area-on-saturday/

Sometimes if we are in the heavy precip from the WAA thump the profile will be able to stay pretty uniform, once rates dip at all thats when the warming really takes over.  I think if we get the nice band of WAA precip in here we stay snow a decent period of time. 

agreed, though every model shows low level warming while we are getting shellacked

Fwiw, BUFKIT shows DCA with ~.35" qpf snow and the rest of close to 2" total qpf as rain. That's no fun in my mind.

Yea, saw that too.  Also saw the big disclaimer in red about the tendency for to "misdiagnose marginally sub-freezing snow-supporting temperature profiles as sleet or rain".  At the rate of the deluge, just a slight variance in temps would have a big impact on the precip type shown in the chart.  I'm still hoping the change over, if it does happen, holds off till later in the evening to max out the "asteroid" potential (as Bob puts it). 

Archived