• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Spring 2015 Medium/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

Both GFS and Euro indicating some thunder potential Tuesday evening.  Both showing a corridor of 500-1000j/kg cape in Missouri up into southeast Iowa later Tuesday afternoon.  That weakens as it drifts east, but the thunderstorms it kicks off should last several hours, as there looks to be just enough cape to sustain them for awhile.  Nothing crazy or anything, but it would be nice to hear the first rumbles of thunder in 2015.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday night/Monday morning looks like we might get some snow here. Thermals look cold enough for all snow. Then again on Tuesday/Wednesday. GEM is more bullish on totals but all the models bring some much needed precip to the area.

Mid-week system has me somewhat interested. There's a couple decent hits on the GEFS.

I was curious about something earlier so I looked it up, the last time we had a thunderstorm was October 28th almost 5 months ago. If we don't manage something on Wednesday which is marginal at best for thunder, we may very well end the month of March without a thunderstorm and run the streak over 5 months. Pretty incredible when you think about it.

When you have the deep blues over you that is significantly below normal, IthielZ has a point that it is a bit much.

We have been more above then below in March so far. I remember over a foot of snow falling on the last weekend of April before. It shouldn't be a surprise to have colder then normal temps this time of year we do live in Michigan. Heck I remember a Ice storm that lasted several days before in April with power outages that lasted a week. I just don't get this "oh my god i cant believe this is happening" post.

We have been more above then below in March so far. I remember over a foot of snow falling on the last weekend of April before. It shouldn't be a surprise to have colder then normal temps this time of year we do live in Michigan. Heck I remember a Ice storm that lasted several days before in April with power outages that lasted a week. I just don't get this "oh my god i cant believe this is happening" post.

Why don't you get it, people are tired of winter. It has been reasonably nice lately, so of course people don't want to plunge back into the freezer. Also consider, we are discussing this in a Spring thread.

lol Ive seen that posted many times. For sattire it isnt far off. By far the longest season is winter, then summer. Spring/fall are too short (I dont mind the shortness of spring at all but I could go for a much longer Fall).

here's my breakdown preference:

Winter 5 months

Spring (since it's pretty cold here) 1.5 months

Summer 3 months

Fall (Way to short in the UP) 2.5 months

In actuality here:

Winter 6 months

Spring 2.5 months

Summer 2.5 months

Fall 1.5 months

If present trends hold, perhaps the first slight risk of 2015 in this subforum on Tuesday?  (At least most of MO, and small parts of southern IA and western IL):

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0333 AM CDT SAT MAR 21 2015   VALID 241200Z - 291200Z   ...DISCUSSION...   ECMWF/GFS CONTINUE TO SUGGEST A STRONG SHORT-WAVE TROUGH WILL EJECT   ACROSS THE NRN/CNTRL ROCKIES INTO THE CNTRL PLAINS/MID MS VALLEY   DURING THE DAY4 PERIOD.  GFS IS STRONGER WITH ITS SPEED MAX   APPROACHING 100KT AS IT TRANSLATES ACROSS NRN KS INTO NRN MO BY   25/00Z.  THIS STRONGER SOLUTION FORCES A DEEPER SFC LOW OVER IA BY   PEAK HEATING WHILE ECMWF IS SOMEWHAT WEAKER WITH LOW OVER MO.    REGARDLESS...IT APPEARS SUFFICIENT MOISTURE MAY RETURN ACROSS THE   WARM SECTOR FOR A THREAT OF DEEP CONVECTION WITHIN A STRONGLY   SHEARED ENVIRONMENT.  WHILE STRONGEST FORCING WILL BE FOCUSED ACROSS   IA/NRN MO...A FEW STORMS MAY DEVELOP SWD ALONG FRONTAL ZONE INTO   NERN OK WHERE HEATING/INSTABILITY WILL BE SOMEWHAT GREATER.   LATER DAY5...TRAILING FRONT SHOULD STALL ACROSS THE SRN PLAINS   BEFORE UPSTREAM SHORT-WAVE TROUGH FORCES THE FRONT SEWD LATE IN THE   PERIOD.  WHILE SEVERE PROBS WILL NOT CURRENTLY BE INTRODUCED ALONG   THIS WIND SHIFT...SCT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MAY ULTIMATELY EVOLVE   ACROSS PARTS OF THE SRN PLAINS INTO AR WEDNESDAY.  WILL MONITOR THIS   REGION AS AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR MOISTENING/DESTABILIZATION COULD   SUPPORT ORGANIZED SEVERE GIVEN MODEST DEEP LAYER SHEAR.   ..DARROW.. 03/21/2015

So true. :lol:

As accurate as that is, I can still understand frustration, case in point my mention in the March thread of not having a thunderstorm for almost 5 months. Even in normal years you have seasons clash in the winter once in a while.

I don't really mind the cold so much, it's the boring weather pattern that makes it bad. Literally nothing good comes out of prolonged cold with no precipitation. If it was still getting down to around 0 I wouldn't care if it was in the wake of some snow. I like snow, just not pointless cold weather that comes with no fanfare on bare ground.

It's like we're in limbo right now. Not quite winter, not quite spring and that's worse than if we were getting nailed by a clipper train or something and I was still shoveling.

If present trends hold, perhaps the first slight risk of 2015 in this subforum on Tuesday?  (At least most of MO, and small parts of southern IA and western IL):

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

It will probably be the first slight risk anywhere in the country since Feb. 25th, pretty amazing.

Toledo goes like this...

Winter: Thanksgiving to St Pattys Day

Spring: to Memorial Day

Summer: to my birthday (September 26)

Fall: till Thanksgiving

Summer that late?  When I lived in N Indiana around the same lat as Toledo, I remember a nice cool down usually  within the first 10 days of Sept that made me feel like Summer had gone.

Spring almost always seems pretty short around here. Usually from the last week of March through the middle of May. If it's one of those years where the wind happens to be off the water often later, then sometimes even early June can feel like Spring still!  :lol:

Archived