• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2015 Medium/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

Moving past the midpoint of February with a very cold pattern entrenched, it would seem that spring will be slow to appear in this particular region looking towards March 1st.

Teleconnections do seem to suggest that some of the cold from the east may start to be moderated towards the end of the month with the PNA dropping negative along with a continued +NAO and the +AO going through the roof potentially. Whether this will actually be significant for this region seems dubious given the extreme cold currently and forecast over the next week and it certainly won't be enough to pull GL/OV out of one of the colder Februarys in recent memory, but there does appear to be a decent amount of agreement for the western positive height anomaly to retrograde over the coming weeks. This support includes the medium range ensemble guidance and CPC analogs.

Lastly (and least), the recent CFSv2 one month outlooks would support a much warmer pattern over the eastern half of the US with a trough over the West for March thanks to retrograding of the ridge to a position centered over the Aleutians, but this should obviously be taken with quite a few grains of salt. I'm also mostly mentioning this because it would support a potentially very active month for severe wx. :weenie:  :unsure:

PNA forecast (all time sensitive):
pna.sprd2.gif

NAO forecast:
nao.sprd2.gif

AO forecast:
ao.sprd2.gif

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump for this thread since we need to discuss spring.  I noticed that the Gulf of Mexico south of LA is significantly warmer than usual for this time of year.  Might this portend increased moisture availability to any storm systems that develop?  And will we have a nw flow storm regime this coming spring?  There will certainly be enough cold air to get good lapse rates.

Some epic boring stuff going forward. I'm starting to have that t-storms itch.

:sleepy:

Outside of last years 8-10" event (a decent storm for sure), March's have just NOT been very exciting for our area storm wise over the past several years.

I seriously cannot think of a truly memorable March storm event (not necessary just snow either) in the past 10-15 years for our area (note I am talking Livingston/Oakland counties in MI where dmc and I live).

I really hope this dry pattern breaks as we get into end of this month and more importantly April.  In the past couple days I haven't even check the models other 1-2 times a day right now.   Since yesterdays 12Z EURO I checked 6Z GFS and 0Z EURO ... :sleepy:

Yes I agree thunderstorms sound very good right now but being March ... :yikes: ... we have a bit to go for our backyards.

feeling optimistic that the imminent cool down will be relatively brief and not all that severe. Suspect we flip back warm near the end of the month, possible for good.

I'm getting that sense as well.   Looked like it was going to be a relatively severe period of cold coming in after the 20th thru the first week of April but models are muting the cold and pushing it further back.

I'm also getting that sense too that this cold wave this month will not be significant or even notable, so far the actual conditions I've experienced are no where near what I thought it was going to be, a relief after the worst February. My 7-day forecast hasn't been highlighting anything I deem negative so my optimism is increasing. The sunshine is good, melt rate far faster than last year (more than a month ahead!), and temperatures at average or slightly above some days. All the predictions I'm ignoring and I'm taking control of the emotional "weather-ship" instead of letting it pull me down, I'm done with it.

I'm also getting that sense too that this cold wave this month will not be significant or even notable, so far the actual conditions I've experienced are no where near what I thought it was going to be, a relief after the worst February. My 7-day forecast hasn't been highlighting anything I deem negative so my optimism is increasing. The sunshine is good, melt rate far faster than last year (more than a month ahead!), and temperatures at average or slightly above some days. All the predictions I'm ignoring and I'm taking control of the emotional "weather-ship" instead of letting it pull me down, I'm done with it.

Torch on torchageddon

I will say this...even after a cool down next week...if temps remain above normal, that would be one of the longer stretches above above normal temps that i can remember in quite some time (including this week thru next week)...December could have had this similiar stretch if we weren't draped in clouds from that cutoff in the eastern lakes i suppose. Either way, for the first time in awhile i am giving a significant nod to a somewhat different pattern lining up (for better or worse) .... imo fwiw

I will say this...even after a cool down next week...if temps remain above normal, that would be one of the longer stretches above above normal temps that i can remember in quite some time (including this week thru next week)...December could have had this similiar stretch if we weren't draped in clouds from that cutoff in the eastern lakes i suppose. Either way, for the first time in awhile i am giving a significant nod to a somewhat different pattern lining up (for better or worse) .... imo fwiw

This isn't a good sign for above average temps in the extended

post-14-0-80581200-1426299193_thumb.gif

This isn't a good sign for above average temps in the extended

True....that actually looks somewhat similiar to what panned out in December. Not saying the pattern is changing 100% compared to the last few years...but still gonna give the possiblility a bigger nod than any other time the last year or so...

Then again, i haven't dug too deep into stuff and am still getting over this dang pnuemonia...so completely take my feelings with a grain of salt

Seems JB is hitting the idea of an active period for svr wx from 4/15 to 5/30 hard recently, can't yet see what he is looking at (since I don't have wxbell premium and his weekly video hasn't updated).

You mean the period from mid April to the end of May will feature severe weather?  That seems more like reciting climo than anything.

Archived