joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That happened around 8:30 on Betway with a convoy of trucks speading salt that was not working. No blades down, just spreading and snow mush everywhere

Sorry for a long distance post, just my observations from some one that lives in a state that prides its self in snow removal.  Chemical's won't work well in temps below 15°, you have to remove the snow with the blades and than put the chemicals down from the back of the truck.  Those roads will be washboard's soon.  Send them up here, we will teach them....j/k

Sorry for a long distance post, just my observations from some one that lives in a state that prides its self in snow removal. Chemical's won't work well in temps below 15°, you have to remove the snow with the blades and than put the chemicals down from the back of the truck. Those roads will be washboard's soon. Send them up here, we will teach them....j/k

Since we rarely see snow with temps this cold they have no clue what to do. Roads will be a disaster around here tomorrow.

Since we rarely see snow with temps this cold they have no clue what to do. Roads will be a disaster around here tomorrow.

Main roads will be fine within a few hours after it stops snowing. And certainly by noon. People always underestimate how quickly road crews can clear a few inches of snow, even in frigid temperature. Pretty sure I was driving on a wet beltway a few hours after the 2009-2010 blizzards.

Alright, I'm heading to bed. Probably going to wrap up with ~3.4" or something like that. Good event. Still #2 imby and I think many of us are still going to be waiting for that widespread warning event to verify when final totals come in.

More snow tomorrow, deep cold Thurs/Fri, and maybe another round of measurable this weekend. We talked about this weeks ago when things sucked around here--this could be one of those situations where we suddenly get locked into a good pattern for a short window. This is a solid start.

Yup im heading to bed also to rest up for a long next 10 days. Looks like my WSW will verify. Very nice storm.

Less than 4" on a fairly well-founded 6-10" forecast. This one goes down as a bust in my book. Will do liquid equivalent in the morning to see whether ratios or precip were to blame. I'm guessing both.

probably more ratios...DCA has 0.48" through 3am....You probably have less, but I don't think liquid was a huge bust....Curious to see what you come up with...As far as the 6-10" forecast, I thought NWS was a tad too ambitious for DC/MOCO/FFX....

Started taking hourly measurements at 8 p.m. tonight. About a half mile east of St. Charles Town Center. Lots of pixie dust, the rimmed snow and then a nice period of dendrites. Since the snow is slacking off I am heading to bed. Here are the hourly totals:

8 pm : 2.25"

9 pm : 2.85"

10 pm : 3.45"

11 pm : 3.85"

12 am : 4.25"

1 am : 4.6"

2 am : 5.3"

3 am : 6.1"

4 am : 6.6"

Either way, given how this winter has gone thus far, I'm happy with this storm. I'll end up with ~4", with more possibly on the way over the next 2-3 weeks.

Me too...it is beautiful out....I don't care about the total...The only thing that I am peeved about is not seeing bigger flakes..not because of ratios, but because it is pretty to walk around it and watch.

Archived