joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO...and we all believe the GFS right?  last run it was burying itself.  The DOC is rock steady....Good agreement with the CMC as well.  GFS is alllllll over the place.

yea, gfs has waffled like crazy the past 48hrs.  at least it showed improvement over its ridiculous suppression of the 1st wave.  other guidance has remained fairly steady, although the north trend of the low may be for real and is worrisome.

LMAO...and we all believe the GFS right? last run it was burying itself. The DOC is rock steady....Good agreement with the CMC as well. GFS is alllllll over the place.

Not to mention, all over the place lol and a noted warm as taco bell farting bias. More interaction with the Baja Low is getting the model to flood the region with warm air and the HP sliding out.

The gfs is all by itself as far as how warm it is at the surface. It continues to completely ignore the single digit dewpoints in place before precip starts and shows essentially NO evaporational cooling to speak  of which is absolutely absurd.

It has precip arriving here monday morning. Surface temps are below freezing..yet despite dewpoints as low as sub ZERO in most areas, there is essentially NO temp drop. in fact temps RISE after precip starts. I'll kiss every ass on this board if that verifies.

I mean look at this..dewpoints at 06z and 12z monday. Precip arrives between 12z and 15z....yet temps rise to the mid 30s. Ideally we would like to see heavier precip than it's showing to fully take advantage of the low dewpoints/dry airmass but even though the initial precip is light, it's virtually impossible to see temps rise with wetbulbs so low and dewpoint depressions so high. And the fact is these dry and cold conditions exist throughout the ENTIRE boundary layer..its' not just the surface..so there is no basis at all for not seeing a temp drop.

i think i  can safely say you can toss it's surface temps in the garbage throughout this system.

gfs_Td2m_seus_11.png

gfs_Td2m_seus_12.png

I know there are some that have waiting on what I might think might happen, well, this is the year of the nearly unforecastable winter it seems. I thoroughly believe one thing with this airmass for Sun-tue. It's bitterly cold, it's bone dry and diabatic processes will likely enhance the chances of keeping a cold pool in the region. It might even develop a small meso-high. Anyway I think the GFS is still warming things way too quickly here.

Edit: after seeing Lookout's TD graph_, now I KNOW the GFS's warmup is full of crap.

NWS ILM forecast disco for those of us closer to the coast:

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
AS OF 400 PM FRIDAY...MONDAY WILL REMAIN FAIRLY QUIET ACROSS THE
COASTAL CAROLINAS AS ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE IN PLACE. BUT
THINGS QUICKLY BECOME TRICKY MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY AS CONDITIONS
POTENTIALLY BECOME FAVORABLE FOR WINTRY PRECIP.

AN EXTREMELY BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF THE
CONUS WILL TRIGGER AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE TO FORM IN THE GULF OF
MEXICO LATE SUNDAY NIGHT/EARLY MONDAY. AS IT PROPAGATES
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS NORTHERN FLORIDA/SOUTHERN GEORGIA...A WARM
FRONT WILL ALLOW FOR SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW TO PUMP IN MOISTURE INTO THE
AREA LATE. WHILE MONDAY REMAINS FAIRLY DRY...WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE
SINGLE DIGITS...UNCERTAINTY INCREASES MONDAY NIGHT AND INTO TUESDAY
REGARDING WINTRY PRECIP AS THE SYSTEM SCOOTS OFFSHORE AND RIDES
NORTHEASTWARD UP ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST INTO TUESDAY EVENING. THE
KEY FACTORS LEADING TO THE UNCERTAINTY IS DUE TO THE ACTUAL TRACK OF
THIS SYSTEM AND THE SPEED AT WHICH IT PROGRESSES...WHILE ALSO
FOCUSING ON THE FAIRLY LOW AFOREMENTIONED DEWPOINTS IN PLACE ON
MONDAY. OVERNIGHT LOWS MONDAY INTO TUESDAY WILL BE IN THE MID TO
UPPER 20S...WITH 30S ACROSS THE EXTREME SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE
FORECAST AREA. UTILIZING THE TOP-DOWN METHOD...AN OUTCOME OF MIXED
PRECIP HAS EVOLVED FOR THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD OF MONDAY INTO TUESDAY
MORNING. WITH QUICKLY WARMING TEMPERATURES BY LATE MORNING/EARLY
AFTERNOON ON TUESDAY AND THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AMPLIFYING...ALL
PRECIPITATION WILL TRANSITION TO RAINFALL. TEMPERATURES DO DROP
AGAIN TUESDAY NIGHT WHICH COULD ALLOW FOR ANOTHER SLIGHT CHANCE OF
MIXED PRECIP. WILL NOTE FORECAST SOUNDINGS DO SHOW SOME UNCERTAINTY
BUT THAT THE CHANCE FOR MIXED PRECIP DOES STAND. GIVEN LACK OF
OVERALL CONSISTENCY WITH MODELS/TRACKS OF SYSTEM...WILL AGAIN
HIGHLIGHT THE UNCERTAINTY FOR MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY LATE MORNING
GIVEN HOW FAR OUT WE ARE AT THIS TIME.

MODEL GUIDANCE NOTES ANOTHER DISTURBANCE TO MOVE THROUGH ON
THURSDAY...BUT DO NOT SEE MUCH IN THE WAY OF PRECIPITATION
ATTM...THUS WILL HAVE A DRY FORECAST FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE PERIOD
AS ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN LATE. COLD TEMPERATURES ON TAP
WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S/LOW 40S WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY AND
OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 20S.

The gfs is all by itself as far as how warm it is at the surface. It continues to completely ignore the single digit dewpoints in place before precip starts and shows essentially NO evaporational cooling to speak  of which is absolutely absurd.

It has precip arriving here monday morning. Surface temps are below freezing..yet despite dewpoints as low as sub ZERO in most areas, there is essentially NO temp drop. in fact temps RISE after precip starts. I'll kiss every ass on this board if that verifies.

I mean look at this..dewpoints at 06z and 12z monday. Precip arrives between 12z and 15z....yet temps rise to the mid 30s. Ideally we would like to see heavier precip than it's showing to fully take advantage of the low dewpoints/dry airmass but even though the initial precip is light, it's virtually impossible to see temps rise with wetbulbs so low and dewpoint depressions so high. And the fact is these dry and cold conditions exist throughout the ENTIRE boundary layer..its' not just the surface..so there is no basis at all for not seeing a temp drop.

i can safely say you can toss it's surface temps in the garbage throughout this system.

gfs_Td2m_seus_11.png

gfs_Td2m_seus_12.png

DPS have consistently been modeled WAY too low on the GFS recently...  The last Arctic blast in January was a prime example where the GFS missed by as much as 15 degrees....

I don't like the GFS's solution, but it (or worse) is not off the table. Not by a long shot.

Grit posted the 12Z ensembles a bit ago and for GFS/CMC/EURO and they ALL had a nice location of that high in the NE.  It looks like it scoots this run and that's probably the difference.  As long as the ensembles keep them there I think we're still in good shape.  I do like the fact this run tapped the baja energy.

18z NAVGEM is a Biblical ECS for Upstate SC and west/central NC.  wowza!!!

Edit: Best I can tell the Jackpot zone would be just to the Northwest of Charlotte where it dumps about 1.25 inches of liquid all in the form of snow...

That's pretty impressive considering the NAVGEM's dry/warm biases.

i think i  can safely say you can toss it's surface temps in the garbage throughout this system.

This actually made me giggle   :lol: 

I know there are some that have waiting on what I might think might happen, well, this is the year of the nearly unforecastable winter it seems. I thoroughly believe one thing with this airmass for Sun-tue. It's bitterly cold, it's bone dry and diabatic processes will likely enhance the chances of keeping a cold pool in the region. It might even develop a small meso-high. Anyway I think the GFS is still warming things way too quickly here.

Edit: after seeing Lookout's TD graph_, now I KNOW the GFS's warmup is full of crap.

I agree with the bolded   :D  

Archived