joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we don't; agree a lot but I agree with this 100%.

Both will have cold ground with what appears to be a leading finger if precip. Start with a good thump of snow followed by ip and zr. I think we actually went above freezing for a few hours before the deep freeze came. I agree as well that this looks similar. One thing for certain is that I will not be caught at work this time.

Both will have cold ground with what appears to be a leading finger if precip. Start with a good thump of snow followed by ip and zr. I think we actually went above freezing for a few hours before the deep freeze came. I agree as well that this looks similar. One thing for certain is that I will not be caught at work this time.

The cold ground is a biggie.  For once we might actually get to see what falls.

Pack - I think you meant the late Jan '14 storm (Atl snojam 2) - yes, the Euro is a very similar setup overall at 500mb, though this one isn't as cold as far south. One thing of note is that the baja moisture didn't come out with that one and it was still rather moist along the coast. Here' the Jan '14 storm - http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/dailywxmap/index_20140128.html

The February massive storm did have the overrunning south the day before it, too, though (maybe Pack was referring to that)?

I don't really see January 2011 as a great analog at this point. If we got a repeat of that one, I'd on on edge of losing it (slight exaggeration, but that was awful here).

The cold ground is a biggie. For once we might actually get to see what falls.

It almost seemed weird in 2011 for snow to instantly stick. I'm so used to seeing it melt for hours. Last year was the same thing but even weirder because it instantly stuck during the day.

That was before the Euro which shows a Miller B. It is a strange look to see a transfer with the initial low so far south.

But the Euro was nearly identical to its previous run, so they would still view the UKMet as the outlier, at this point anyway.  Just looked again at the UKMet, and it is amping up the initial low and brings it on out east...and doesn't have anything left with the second piece digging down through the Rockies

Although not my favorite model for sure, I have added snow graphics to the DGEX. here was the 6z fantasy :)

Again this is 6z, 18z should be out in about 1-2 hours.

How would you like to be in northwest AL if that map verified?  I think there is a lot of evidence the baja low comes out, and not so much it stays back.

The EPS did shift the snow axis SE a little, has 6-8" across all of central NC, jackpots N-GA with 8-10.  This is from SV's snow maps which are conservatively all snow.

It has all of NC with atleast 2", roughly 8" right around RDU, with 6-8" over most of NC except far eastern NC which has 2-4".

GSP is in 6-8" range too.

12z EPS has many many monsters for the Midlands of SC. Over 30 members with 2" or more. WOW

This looks more and more interesting for everybody in SC. Those right at the coast (like me) may be getting in the action if the trends continue.

Still temps are little borderline for CHS right now.

Is this still a Tues night/Wed morn deal? Or is it coming in sooner?

These numbers are based off the next 5 1/2 days.  Oddly it seems the Control run ticked down a bit and the Mean is about the same as 00z.

EDIT: actually the mean is heavier I believe.. in the Upstate too.

These numbers are based off the next 5 1/2 days. Oddly it seems the Control run ticked down a bit and the Mean is about the same as 00z.

EDIT: actually the mean is heavier I believe.. in the Upstate too.

Yes, the mean is definitely heavier, especially in NC. If QPF is down at all, maybe it's because it lost some crazy amped rainstorms.

6-8" for 2/3rds+ of NC along with E TN, NW SC, and N GA.

Archived