Newest Member
    joxey

bluewave

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudson River

20k7h49.jpg

. Anthony- where are you getting these images? I would love to see another shot like the one you showed yesterday. From my office downtown I can see ice all the way out to the Verrazano. If we weren't going above freezing tomorrow I would say the entire Hudson and my harbor would be locked tight. As it is we may end up doing it by Friday.

. Anthony- where are you getting these images? I would love to see another shot like the one you showed yesterday. From my office downtown I can see ice all the way out to the Verrazano. If we weren't going above freezing tomorrow I would say the entire Hudson and my harbor would be locked tight. As it is we may end up doing it by Friday.

From my friend

this is the 5th cold wave that sent temperatures into the single digits...we may get the sixth later in the week...

years with three or more cold waves that dropped temperatures into the single digits...
season...Cold waves and days in single digits since 1947-48...
1947-48...................6..........9
1960-61...................5..........9

2014-15...................5..........9 as of 2/24/15

2013-14...................4..........7
1962-63...................4..........6
1967-68...................4..........8
1976-77...................4..........8
1980-81...................4..........7
1981-82...................4..........7
1987-88...................4..........5
1993-94...................4..........9
2002-03...................4..........6
1966-67...................3..........5
1969-70...................3..........6
1970-71...................3..........7
1978-79...................3..........9
1989-90...................3..........5
1999-00...................3..........4
2003-04...................3..........8
2004-05...................3..........8

From my friend

Went up to the 52nd floor of my building and saw the full view of the Hudson for myself. It really is breathtaking. The east river looks like a bit less ice with some tide now pushing in. Still tons of ice out in the harbor in and around the statue of liberty and out to the Verrazano. There are some ships moving around.

Hudson River

20k7h49.jpg

Well people used to be able to walk across E.River (during one hour slack tide) at the exact location of the Brooklyn Bridge prior to its construction---when the Fulton Ferries could not operate.   The ship captains who were aware of the tide tables directed the foot traffic!  Some adventurers would always get stuck on a floating block of ice as the tide changed and needed to be rescued after smashing into the piles of one of the piers.  

There were ice floes off of CI for the first time since 2004 this AM.   Probably first time since 2004.

You can just make out those ice floes off CI on the satellite image this morning ,but the image wasn't as sharp as a few days

ago. The ice floes are also expanding across the Long Island Sound and there is probably a great view of the ice looking east

from the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Screen shot 2015-02-24 at 11.41.15 AM.png

The story is people drove cars across the great South Bay during feb 34. Obviously that was allot colder but this has staying power. I'm sure you can walk on parts of the middle of the bay

Record lows for 2/23 and 2/24.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

0118 AM EST TUE FEB 24 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT NEWARK NJ...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 7 DEGREES WAS SET AT NEWARK NJ

YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 10 SET IN 1972.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

513 AM EST TUE FEB 24 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT NEWARK NJ...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 5 DEGREES WAS SET AT NEWARK EARLY THIS

MORNING. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 6 SET IN 1934.

THE TEMPERATURE CONTINUES TO FALL THIS MORNING. AN UPDATED RECORD

REPORT WILL BE SENT ONCE THE FINAL RECORD FOR THE DAY IS SET.

Would've been funny if the 2nd report said it broke the old record set a few hours ago...

Dropped to 3F in Metuchen this morning.  Has only hit 0F so far, whereas last winter we hit -1F in one of those cold snaps...

I've got 20 years of records for MBY in Smithtown.  So far in February, we've broken 13 daily minimum records (more than half of the days), including the only two sub-zero days in the 20 years and daily records 11 of the last 12 days.

That may be slightly less impressive than it sounds because the old sensor is located at about 5 meters (not 2) on the side of the house over the garage roof.  I now have a better shielded sensor in a more appropriate location in the yard and on radiational cooling nights it runs a few degrees below the old sensor.  They are much closer when it is windy, although the newer one is still slightly cooler on most nights.

The below zero readings:  -2 this past Saturday morning and -1 this morning.  We've had a couple of zeroes and a few 1's prior to this year, but never got below.  Perhaps some of them did get below.

Average daily low for February through today is 10 and average high has been 31.  The 31 is probably a little high as I am finding out that even a decent solar radiation shield needs a fan.  There is a huge gap today between most of the aspirated ASOS locations and the typical PWS's which are running ~5 degrees +/- higher than the ASOS

You can just make out those ice floes off CI on the satellite image this morning ,but the image wasn't as sharp as a few days 

ago. The ice floes are also expanding across the Long Island Sound and there is probably a great view of the ice looking east

from the Throgs Neck Bridge.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-02-24 at 11.41.15 AM.png

That's obviously not solid ice cover, but it looks like most of the sound is at least partially ice covered, not just along the edges.  That is quite a rarity over the past couple of decades.

This was 2004.  I think there is a lot more ice on the sound now:

http://www.northshorewx.com/20040201.asp

Ice2004Feb01Sound5.jpg

With a little luck, we'll get a clearer satellite image of the ice on Saturday after several more days of well below normal

temperatures. The ice along the immediate North Shore looks thicker from the Bayside area to around Cold Spring Harbor

with thinner broken floes over the rest of the Sound.

I brought over this brief history Long Island Sound freezes form the older thread a few years ago.

http://www.uscg.mil/...aster Final.pdf

. That same winter, Gardiners Bay, Long Island, froze completely across.83 During the winter of 1917 to 1918, cars were apparently driven across the Sound in the vicinity of Port Jefferson, NY.84 

Historic data also indicates that, during the winter of 1779-1780, "Long Island Sound was almost completely clogged with ice, and people were able to cross from Long Island to the vicinity of Stamford" Connecticut for several days, and that people were able to cross other areas of the western Sound, including from Connecticut to Lloyd’s Neck, Long Island.85 

If they're suggesting cars were able to drive across to Connecticut, its hard to imagine that being possible with what ive seen in 40 years..

Very cool find bluewave.  I share an interest in local sea ice history.  On a prior internet hunting expedition I found the following:

That's a fantastic article. I believe the Arctic high with that -15 in NYC broke records for the highest pressure ever

recorded in some stations around the Great Lakes. NYC had a perfect NW to NNW flow. 

Ocean effect snow flurries currently in wantagh under partly sunny skies! Return flow grabbing a little Atlantic moisture. This is really amazing weather we are having. Also grabbed some nice bay ice pics

Ok. Just stepped off the train in seaford and its doing the same thing under a clear sky. Ver cool

With a little luck, we'll get a clearer satellite image of the ice on Saturday after several more days of well below normal

temperatures. The ice along the immediate North Shore looks thicker from the Bayside area to around Cold Spring Harbor

with thinner broken floes over the rest of the Sound.

I brought over this brief history Long Island Sound freezes form the older thread a few years ago.

http://www.uscg.mil/...aster Final.pdf

Here's a pic of the Riverhead platform (deep left), that's mentioned there, from this past SAT.

post-4973-0-66938800-1424820488_thumb.jp

Archived