• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache

bluewave

Why the heck is it 48 when the forecasted high was 37?? (Rhetorical question) 

And somehow we're supposed to drop back into the teens. 

EDIT: It has to be a mistake. There's a station a half a mile away reporting 42 degrees. 

ScreenHunter_146%20Feb.%2022%2013.54.png

Bad siting; says high was 53. obviously no shielding or fan aspiration going on in their weather station to bring to ambient temp. 

for the temp tonight, arctic front incoming

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad siting; says high was 53. obviously no shielding or fan aspiration going on in their weather station to bring to ambient temp. 

for the temp tonight, arctic front incoming

Exactly. I took down my PWS to replace the anemometer and upgrade the hardware so I have to rely on "other" sources. 

And made sure I salted everything down for the flash-freeze tonight. 

You were spot on with yesterdays post, there is no way it would stay in the 30's with near 0 C temps at 850mb with a blazing late Feb sunshine and westerly winds, I knew NWS would bust

Accuweather and TWC had temps in 46-48 range today...NWS had me at 38, I'm at 40. Most of the region is in the low 40's at best not the mid to upper 40's.

Yeah, that happens in NYC alot. There should be more official reporting stations. I think it is only JFK, LGA and central park. The rest, while mostly accurate, are all PWS

You can usually pick out the bad ones...they heat up way to much when the sun hits them, also the rooftop stations will read too high at night with clear skies and light winds...You can use mine...its accurate :)

You were spot on with yesterdays post, there is no way it would stay in the 30's with near 0 C temps at 850mb with a blazing late Feb sunshine and westerly winds, I knew NWS would bust

I thought it might get slightly higher but it topped out in the low 40s for most pretty much spot on climo. Now we dip yet again but today felt nice.

This is not your average COLD outbreak .  

Fri @ KNYC - 20 , We should beat that today ( will call it - 20 ) that`s 8 DAYS  OF CLOSE TO 18  BELOW . When you include the following 6 days .

MT HOLLY

TEMPERATURES: COLDEST TEMPERATURES IN THE URBAN CENTERS SINCE

PROBABLY JANUARY 1994 ARE EXPECTED MONDAY MORNING AND WIDESPREAD

NEAR RECORDS EXPECTED IN OUR FORECAST AREA. CALENDAR DAY AVERAGE

TEMPERATURES

SUNDAY CLOSE TO 20 BELOW NORMAL,

25 BELOW NORMAL MONDAY

15 BELOW TUESDAY AND

MAYBE 10 BELOW WEDNESDAY BEFORE

FALLING OFF AGAIN THURSDAY AND FRIDAY TO BETWEEN 15 AND 20 BELOW NORMAL .

When was the last time we were 20 below N in any Feb for 10  straight days ?

For the record what a spot on call by MT HOLLY this was.

Funny how it felt an seemed like a torch day. But really it was a normal late February day. Pretty insane stretch when low 40s is a nice warm day.

Well then tomorrow's gonna feel brutal. Temps dropping throughout the day probably windchills in the teens and single digits by the afternoon.

The end is near though regarding the frigid temps.

That would only be a degree above the February 1934 monthly high of 42.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-9348D439-6FF6-4A62-9DD2-EF0601822E02.pdf

1978 had a monthly max of 41 tying the record for the lowest monthly max for February...Feb. 1969 had 44 for a max...the February 1934 cold wave ended on March 2nd or third...There were a couple of warm days and then a week of more snow and cold...Temps reached the 70's later in March 34...Monthly average was 18 degrees warmer than February but still below average...

Archived