• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Historic Events you would most want to witness

nokywx

Long-time lurker, and this has always been one of my favorite topics to read through. I grew up in South Bend, and I'll go with my top 3 for that location, and then 3 more outside the region:

Palm Sunday Outbreak

July 1936 Heat

and of course, Blizzard of '78

Outside the region:

Blizzard of 1899 (crazy temps that followed...Florida snow)

Superstorm '93

Smethport, PA...est. 34.5 in. of rain on July 17, 1942 (that is absolutely insane)

In the Midwest/Great lakes

1. Nov 2014 South towns Buffalo LES

2. Blizzard 78 (Muskegon area)

3. Detroit snowstorm 1886

4. Buffalo snowstorm 2001

5. F-5 Tornado outbreak northern Oakland County, Mi. 1896 passed near MBY. Not to be in its path but to witness it.

6. The winter 1977/78 Houghton, MI 300"+

In the Midwest/Great lakes

1. Nov 2014 South towns Buffalo LES

2. Blizzard 78 (Muskegon area)

3. Detroit snowstorm 1886

4. Buffalo snowstorm 2001

5. F-5 Tornado outbreak northern Oakland County, Mi. 1896 passed near MBY. Not to be in its path but to witness it.

6. The winter 1977/78 Houghton, MI 300"+

Never peaked up that way at the 78 totals. Muskegon did as good as the areas just to the s/sw of here. NWS etc always sounded like the most snow fell between Coldwater and the lake and or close to the state line on either side.

I would stay here for blizz of 78

Same with Jan 67 BUT i would like to see that whole week unfold and thus the severe wx outbreak and all. Heck i wouldn't mind witnessing that whole winter from Nov 1st till May 1st..

I'll add to this later..

In this region:

1. Tri-State Tornado

2. Super Outbreak '74

3. Palm Sunday '65

4. Palm Sunday '20

5. Blizzard of 1978

Well, I lived in IN during numbers 2,3, and 5 and my father lived very close to the Tri-State tornado path in southern IL in 1925 and told me numerous stories.  Classic weather events.  And I look forward to your comments Andy on events during this year's svr wx season.

1860 Camanche IA/Albany IL tornado.  Probably the most intense and deadly tornado on record in the DVN area.  

Would also like to have seen what the Tri-State tornado actually looked like, and would love to see how it would have looked on radar.

Good luck chasing it though.

In the area

1.) Blizzard of 1977- Buffalo NY

2.) Winter 76-77- Hooker NY (Tughill) 466.9 inches of snow

3.) Blizzard of 1985- Buffalo NY

4.) Feb. 2007- Redfield (Tughill) 141" in 10 days.

5.) Superstorm of 1993- Syracuse NY- 43" of snow with 50+ MPH winds

Outside the area:

1.) Hurricane Charley- Punta Gorda Florida (2004) That gas station video is my favorite of all time

2.) Hurricane Andrew-Miami, Florida (1992)

3.) Twin Tornadoes- Pilger Nebraska (2014)

4.)  Blizzard of 1888- New York City

5.)  Moore Tornado- 1999

To name a few:

*GHD 2011 in Chicago

*1974 Snowstorm in Detroit

*1999 Blizzard in Detroit

*July 1997 Tornado Outbreak in Detroit

*July 1995 Derecho in Detroit

*NY 2008 snowstorm in dmc76's backyard

*December 11th, 2000 snowstorm in dmc76's backyard

*July 4th-5th, 2012 Severe Weather Outbreak in Detroit

*Summers of 2011 and 2012 (including March 2012 Torch)

*December 8th, 2013 Lions/Eagles game Snowstorm in Philadelphia

*Blizzard of 1978 in Harry's backyard

*Severe Weather Outbreak/Snowstorm of 1967 in Harry's backyard

*OCtober 2006 historic LES storm in Buffalo

*November 2014 historic LES storm in southern suburbs of Buffalo

*The 14" and 16" snowstorms within a week of each other during February and March of 1900 in Detroit

Never peaked up that way at the 78 totals. Muskegon did as good as the areas just to the s/sw of here. NWS etc always sounded like the most snow fell between Coldwater and the lake and or close to the state line on either side.

Same with Jan 67 BUT i would like to see that whole week unfold and thus the severe wx outbreak and all. Heck i wouldn't mind witnessing that whole winter from Nov 1st till May 1st..

I'll add to this later..

Muskegon got 27" from the actual storm before The LES kicked in. Then picked up another 17" for a total 44".

To name a few:

*GHD 2011 in Chicago

*1974 Snowstorm in Detroit

*1999 Blizzard in Detroit

*July 1997 Tornado Outbreak in Detroit

*July 1995 Derecho in Detroit

*NY 2008 snowstorm in dmc76's backyard

*December 11th, 2000 snowstorm in dmc76's backyard

*July 4th-5th, 2012 Severe Weather Outbreak in Detroit

*Summers of 2011 and 2012 (including March 2012 Torch)

*December 8th, 2013 Lions/Eagles game Snowstorm in Philadelphia

*Blizzard of 1978 in Harry's backyard

*Severe Weather Outbreak/Snowstorm of 1967 in Harry's backyard

*OCtober 2006 historic LES storm in Buffalo

*November 2014 historic LES storm in southern suburbs of Buffalo

*The 14" and 16" snowstorms within a week of each other during February and March of 1900 in Detroit

Good list. Were you not in Detroit in 1997-99, or you just mean relive them?

Last weeks storm was my favorite personal storm....but you left off my #1 event

April 6, 1886. 2+ feet of cement snow strangling the city in April. Would love to see that.

Good list. Were you not in Detroit in 1997-99, or you just mean relive them?

Last weeks storm was my favorite personal storm....but you left off my #1 event

April 6, 1886. 2+ feet of cement snow strangling the city in April. Would love to see that.

I was too young to actually "enjoy" what happened in the mid-late 90s. So yes, I would definitely love to relive them.

And I agree about April 1886 also!

It is fun reading what some have put on here.  Several of the events I have lived through, remembered and enjoyed.  While yes I would like to have seen certain events but I would rather get the same set-up with even better results (well not the deaths & destruction from the tornadoes but that is out of anyone's control).

I do have a couple 'bucket list items' I want to yet see:

1) One of those Tug Hill LES 100"+ 3 day events (I do plan to do this someday)

2) Chase a massive tornado (EF3+) in the plains that you can follow for miles (someday as long as it is NEVER IMBY!!!)

3) Love to see softball or greater hail in the plains (as long as it is NEVER IMBY).

4) 'Safely' go through an eye-wall of a CAT 2+ hurricane (this is one that if I don't see it will not be a big loss to me at all).

One event I would like to see repeated April 6, 1886 (with just a touch a north trend ;) ). 

Lots of things I would not mind doing again.

It is fun reading what some have put on here.  Several of the events I have lived through, remembered and enjoyed.  While yes I would like to have seen certain events but I would rather get the same set-up with even better results (well not the deaths & destruction from the tornadoes but that is out of anyone's control).

I do have a couple 'bucket list items' I want to yet see:

1) One of those Tug Hill LES 100"+ 3 day events (I do plan to do this someday)

2) Chase a massive tornado (EF3+) in the plains that you can follow for miles (someday as long as it is NEVER IMBY!!!)

3) Love to see softball or greater hail in the plains (as long as it is NEVER IMBY).

4) 'Safely' go through an eye-wall of a CAT 2+ hurricane (this is one that if I don't see it will not be a big loss to me at all).

One event I would like to see repeated April 6, 1886 (with just a touch a north trend ;) ). 

Lots of things I would not mind doing again.

I don't disagree with the bolded, but a lot of these events were either once-in-100 years events (in which most of us won't live to see the same setup happen again) or "it ain't happening again" events (like the Blizzard of 1978).

In a way, that's what makes them historic.

Yes with more severe weather this time.

Yeah although I did get the Dexter tornado, which even in AA was probably one of the most angry storms I've ever witnessed in person.

Add the March 20, 1976 West Bloomfield F4 tornado to my list as well. 'bout a mile from my house.

I don't disagree with the bolded, but a lot of these events were either once-in-100 years events (in which most of us won't live to see the same setup happen again) or "it ain't happening again" events (like the Blizzard of 1978).

In a way, that's what makes them historic.

Records and history are made all the time especially when you consider many places only have a good a 100-150 years of data.  The modern era (satellite) of weather only truly goes back about 50 years.  The amount data points and observations are much greater today than just 25 years ago.  Ever notice some type of a 1 in 100 year events seem to happen in the country a bit commonly.  To me it is a cliche to use on major events.  I don't believe in "it ain't going to happen again".  It is happened once it can happen again.  Is it likely maybe no but definitely possible.

Record will continue to be broken in our life time.  Just look how many records were broken just last winter alone.  We have plenty of extreme events to look forward to that will called 1 in 100 year event.  Each major event will have something different about it and unique to it. 

Long-time lurker, and this has always been one of my favorite topics to read through. I grew up in South Bend, and I'll go with my top 3 for that location, and then 3 more outside the region:

Palm Sunday Outbreak

July 1936 Heat

and of course, Blizzard of '78

Outside the region:

Blizzard of 1899 (crazy temps that followed...Florida snow)

Superstorm '93

Smethport, PA...est. 34.5 in. of rain on July 17, 1942 (that is absolutely insane)

Tough to narrow down to 3, but locally your top 3 is probably my top 3 as well, though not in that order. 

Regarding the Palm Sunday outbreak, there's a new paper on the way that will have a fresh look at the event and employ some of the modern severe weather parameters that we use today.  Very much looking forward to that. 

Hey let us know in a new thread when that comes out would love to read it!  I can remember studying Fujita's Initial report as a youngster

You know you're getting older when you lived through some of these events others list.

1. Tri State tornado

2. Palm Sunday 1965

3. Super 74  (was too young)

4. 31 May 1985  (my first chase the following year was my graduation day :()

5. 8 June 1953 Michigan, Ohio Tornado Outbreak

6. Chicago Blizzard 67 (Living in Chicago but was way too young to enjoy it lol)

7. Palm Sunday 1920

8. St. Louis 1896, 1927

I'll add to this later..

Muskegon got 27" from the actual storm before The LES kicked in. Then picked up another 17" for a total 44".

The Muskegon area actually picked up 52 to 56 inches of snow during the 78 storm/lake enhancement. I would love to have experienced it.

I had the awesome opportunities of experiencing both the Superstorm of 1993 and Blizzard of 96 where I grew up in Lancaster, PA. Superstorm had thundersnow for a couple hours and 20 inches, while we picked up 34 inches from the Blizzard of 96. Equally as fascinating was watching almost all of that snow vanish a couple of weeks later in less than 24 hours during a heavy rainstorm. I remember going to bed with a couple feet on the ground and waking up to seeing grass. It was traumatic. lol

I would have liked to experience the double derechos here in the Muskegon area at the end of May 1998? 2 separate events hit here within a couple days, each producing over 100 m.p.h. winds in areas around here. Crazy! Apparently, Spring Lake had to replace all of their street trees after that.

I would have liked to experience the double derechos here in the Muskegon area at the end of May 1998? 2 separate events hit here within a couple days, each producing over 100 m.p.h. winds in areas around here. Crazy! Apparently, Spring Lake had to replace all of their street trees after that.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may30-311998page.htm

Archived